General News/Current Affairs Thread

st_owly said:
It's happening on both sides, AF.

I get that..... but at the very least the unionists are voting for what is best for not just Scotland.....but for the rest of us in the UK........

I believe we should stick together as one instead of looking at whats diffrent between US.

There IS A bunch of yes voters who-

Hate the torys...........which I can totally understand.

Hate anyone who isn't Scottish........BNP...racists...SNP....do I even need to say it.......

Watching braveheart ....which IS A good movie......but is fictional........based on a real person but almost everything in it is historically wrong......but there is a minority of people who thinks it's fact

Thinking they can rely on oil to help them.........how long will that last

Still USE the pound even tho they don't want to be part of the UK........sounds hypocritical

Joining the eu.......... which has problems trying to get in

Alex is giving empty promises and dodging tricky questions........he is no better then the torys....he is just after a nice pension when he retires.

If I'm wrong then please chat with me.....

Cause I like this sort of debate

I might not be Scottish.. ....And this debate might not have nothing to do with me......but as a brit I believe again we should stick together

.....If it's not broke dont fix it.....If you tinker with it your going to brake it

st_owly said:
The No campaign have been doing that too. There's been a lot of mudslinging on both sides.
Both sides have been doing it, but the "Yes" campaign has been much worse from what I have heard/read/seen in the media (I don't live in Scotland so it's not like I have first hand experience in what is going on) after all threats of violence is not the same as mudslinging nor is vandalism - there was an article in one the papers today which mentioned someone who had been putting "Yes" signs in their garden but they were being vandalised or stolen on a regular basis (in some cases within an hour or two of being put up).

st_owly said:
The mainstream media is heavily biased towards the No campaign. There are meatheads on both sides, but overall, there has not been that much violence from either side.
Folk nearly kicked off in George Square last night apparently. Don't know why though.

I dont think it wont end well in the end

I mean look what happened to Ireland ........

on the other hand I hear over 700.000 scots is going to cross the boarder to come to the uk which I have no problems with

In mildly related news, after I saw some stuff on the referendum the other day, there was a story on the news about cities, such as Manchester looking into devolution. Any thoughts on that?

Professor Irony said:
st_owly said:
That's because it's Glasgow ;)
MaxonTreik said:
Good point.

Gee, thanks guys.

We're here to help ;D

Gotta say, it's been relatively tame here. Walking home, there wasn't a sound to be heard at all from any of the houses in the area, some had only one light on, others none at all. It felt like walking home on christmas eve, which is a weird comparison i know. None of the Yes voters here will overly arrogant about it either, which made a nice change. Surprising how much of the local area was No too, however i think that really shows how vocal the yes voters have been in comparison to the No voters here.

Arbalest said:
It felt like walking home on christmas eve, which is a weird comparison i know.

That's funny because I was talking to a friend from near London and I was describing it as Christmas because of the Yes/No 'decorations' :lol: I saw a house with the letters of 'YES' stuck to their roof!

animefreak17 said:
how do you feel about this Arbalest

I'm keeping to what i said previously, i voted No. I think it could end up close, but i believe it will end up in favour of No in the end. Going by turnouts at the moment, i'd say we've got about 82% average turnout of all voters, which is ridiculous, and shows just how much people care for the matter.

Arbalest said:
animefreak17 said:
how do you feel about this Arbalest

I'm keeping to what i said previously, i voted No. I think it could end up close, but i believe it will end up in favour of No in the end. Going by turnouts at the moment, i'd say we've got about 82% average turnout of all voters, which is ridiculous, and shows just how much people care for the matter.

there is almost 5.300.000 people in Scotland and around 4 something million people voted .......so yeah I see your point.

its like they couldn't care less.......come on its there vote and future and they shrug it off like........WHATEVE!

if it was me and it came to an important decision like this ......you bet id vote.

but the verdicts in and the union has won and its great we can continue to stand together.

Back