General News/Current Affairs Thread

Considering that Labour often does well in Scotland, they don't seem to have helped swing the vote in favour of staying together (especially since any Scottish MPs should lose their job if the Yes vote wins as they would no longer be needed).

britguy said:
Ah sorry didn't even realise you were Scottish then! I'd have to wager that there are people in Scotland with no real idea what a yes vote could do to either country.

Do you find there are people who plan to vote Yes just because "I hate the English" etc

I bet the majority did it just because of that

britguy said:
ayase said:
Funny, I wouldn't particularly want to see Britain split up (though it's not my decision, that's for the Scots, self determination and all that) but if it did I think I'd be more incline to move TO Scotland. Seems like their parliament at least gives a bit of a **** about people. Also England would probably be stuck with Tory rule, forever.
The politicians are just saying what they think the people want to hear, I very much doubt they're any different to English MPs or Parliament.
Well, they have lower university tuition charges and as someone else mentioned, free prescriptions. They also don't want to blow millions on dumb **** like nuclear missiles in an era where the only real international threat to comes from terrorism, not other nations. You can't exactly nuke people who hide amongst the ordinary population unless you're the Israeli government.

Last edited by a moderator:
ayase said:
britguy said:
ayase said:
Funny, I wouldn't particularly want to see Britain split up (though it's not my decision, that's for the Scots, self determination and all that) but if it did I think I'd be more incline to move TO Scotland. Seems like their parliament at least gives a bit of a **** about people. Also England would probably be stuck with Tory rule, forever.
The politicians are just saying what they think the people want to hear, I very much doubt they're any different to English MPs or Parliament.
Well, they have lower university tuition charges and as someone else mentioned, free prescriptions.
That was me. I suffer with asthma so I have to pay for new inhalers every few months. I recently had to pay for 2 prescriptions since the two types of inhaler I use are counted as separate even though they are listed on the same sheet ie £8.05x2 (the Ventolin inhaler is one that I don't use much but is needed in case I have an actual asthma attack and the ones I had passed their expiry date recently meaning I had to buy fresh ones).

Lawrence said:
I think what also helps drive the 'yes' vote is the general animosity towards the Lib-Con coalition Westminister which many people seem to feel, poorly represents the interests of Scotland. Just look at how many seats the Conservatives won in Scotland back in 2010.
It poorly represents the interests of anyone who didn't vote Tory. Seriously Scotland, if you have to go, can't we draw a line from the Humber to the Mersey and form the People's Republic of North Britain instead?

ayase said:
Lawrence said:
I think what also helps drive the 'yes' vote is the general animosity towards the Lib-Con coalition Westminister which many people seem to feel, poorly represents the interests of Scotland. Just look at how many seats the Conservatives won in Scotland back in 2010.
It poorly represents the interests of anyone who didn't vote Tory. Seriously Scotland, if you have to go, can't we draw a line from the Humber to the Mersey and form the People's Republic of North Britain instead?

Will your new nation be willing to accept refugees from farther south? :(

R

I have a really bad feeling that people in Scotland may make a misadvised decision if they vote yes for all the false pretences Salmond is giving. It feels for me too much like how UKIP made a killing over the EU vote, I worry the Yes vote will fare the same simply because Scotland want more of a voice or something.

I hope they vote No. I don't know what it's like living up there though, I just feel if we're all on the same soil, we're family sort of thing.

Free prescriptions? Is that regardless of age? As I got em free until I went out of education at 18?

Maybe they are happy with as is but don't want to become how England is which quite frankly is a mockery. I've read about and see photos of that whole Calais immigrant thing and it was hit on the head that we're seen as some sort of El Dorado for them. If I was living in Scotland, I wouldn't want that. It's stupid what we pay to the EU for them to basically tell us to let as many people from other EU countries in who want to come in.

EDIT: hehe I'm with Ayase. If they get their independance, can they please take Manchester with them? I hate our government and dislike all the contenders and what they propose. Immigration, health, jobs, economy, pension, maternity leave, all that needs to be addressed and improved!

ayase said:
Lawrence said:
Better yet, can't we just isolate Westminster and have them rule over their own little state? Us southerners don't like them either.

@Dannielle - Yep, free prescriptions for everyone, for anything. We also get free eye tests and dental check ups (treatment costs though). Most of the migrants at Calais are from outside of the EU. They don't want them either.

@memorium - Yes. Build a wall around London and the South East, let them be Tory and awful to each other, and leave the rest of us in peace.

I've got to be honest. I've tried for as long as i can to avoid discussing, debating, whatever about the referendum. It's caused nothing but grief from what i've seen and would have rather had nothing to do with it. Unfortunately it's not as easy as that, as such i've been getting pretty frustrated with the past week or two being nothing but that everywhere.

My stance on it is pretty clear when i'm asked, i'm voting no, and have been on the No side since the referendum came to be 2 years ago. I do not think we will benefit and i do not think we have anyone fit to lead us if the yes was to occur. There is too many unanswered questions over the currency, businesses, banks, borders and such that i wonder why people haven't questioned both sides further. Banks could disappear, Royal Bank of Scotland is 81% owned by Westminster(75% when it comes to votes, so that it stays on the stock exchange). HBOS(halifax/bank of scotland) is owned by Lloyds who have brought up the possibility of leaving on a yes vote, standard life are voicing concerns and having a lot of their business move down to england. Which leaves us with Clydesdale potentially as our only bank. Oil is another thing people haven't checked into. They say it's ours and a "superior" resource, yet last i checked, most of the platforms on the north sea don't even belong to scotland, so how are we going to make the most of this? I want clean cut answers on this, and i know for a fact i won't get them. Instead i'll get jabs at either side and "plan B" thrown in my face, whatever that is.

My other main gripe, and i'd even go out and say the biggest gripe of them all is that, no matter how scotland vote next thursday, scotland loses. What once stood as a proud country, both of it's scottish heritage and it's stance as part of Britain have become lost. Why? Because of the Yes/No divide. Families, friends, all of that are hurt because of the differences in how to vote. It's disgusting. No matter how you look at it, about 50% is going to be unhappy. So there will be falling outs, more eggs thrown, more everything in the near future.

Yeah. i don't like this referendum one bit. I keep out of it because of this. You can vote either way so long as you are adamant it's the right choice. Voting because of your "pride" or some iteration of a superiority complex is wrong, and honestly if you want vote because of that, i wish i could honestly stop you. But i can't.

If the Scots do vote yes....It's going to be Ireland all over again

The no and yes campaigns will.argue and we will have a northern and southern Scotland.

It's not going to end well

OMG no way about prescriptions! I'm so jealous! It's like £7 a pop for me and £18 for a dentist check up! I get my eye tests free but that's cause I get contact lenses otherwise I'd be screwed there too hehe.

My question then, how come Scotland has that and we don't? I genuinely don't know.

Yeah I read something about how Scotland don't realise if they become independant, they'd have their own part of our mass UK debt to deal with and they'd be idiots to think that they'd get to start their independance with a clean slate, wouldn't be able to create/print anymore money, how they wouldn't be able to afford £9 pints and £12 cigs on their benefits annymore etc etc and I don't think anyone up there is thinking about that, are they?

There's an article in the MEN about how Greater Manchester should now follow suit with Scotland seeing as we have a bigger economy than Wales and Ireland and some smaller countries in the EU. I have no opinion on that whatsoever, guess I'll see what happens with Scotland first.

Healthcare is a devolved responsibility to the Scottish Parliament, and they've chosen to make that be the case, rather than spending it on nuclear weapons or MP's pay rises. Presumably they think it's cheaper in the long run. Now, the sun doesn't shine out of the **** of the Scottish Parliament, but they're a lot better than the crooks in Westminster.

Yeah they do sound better and have the right idea in mind for sure!

It sucks that next year we have to choose from 3 bell end candidates and a 4th who might not even get to run and would of been remotely decent if he wasn't UKIP and didn't just have the immigration stance going for them and suck with everything else they'd change haha. Think my votes going to waste unless they put the other Milliband as the face of labour or something as at least you don't wana punch David if he came out with all the crap proposals lol.

If Scotland votes for independence, can we push for a referendum on the rest of England wanting independence from London?

To be honest, I think the biggest thing that's irking me about this referendum is how I've seen quite a few people spinning it as if Scotland is trying to escape from an abusive spouse, painting England as big, bad jerks.

Personally, if I was Scottish, I would be voting no. Mainly because I get the feeling that Alex Salmond is gambling with Scotland's future in regards to currency. He wants a currency union with the United Kingdom, which Westminster has already said won't happen so really, he's banking on the chance that the Conservatives, Labour and Liberal Democrats are bluffing and will change their minds once a "Yes" vote happens. He should be making these kind of calls in regards to a hand in a game of poker, not a country that's home to just under 5 million people.

Back