General News/Current Affairs Thread

animefreak17 said:
i read in the mirror that there going to send people who needs surgery to india cause it'll be cheaper,

theres a few things wrong with this

1 even tho it'll be cheap to have surgery how are relieves and loved ones suppose to stay by there side if its going to cost them get on a plane and costs for hotels not knowing how long there going to be in there, also what about work and those who cant travel,

2 if it costs alot then why not lower the costs,

this country has gone to the dogs
You're really underestimating how much some surgeries/operations cost.

its not that im sick of the NHS for screwing up with wrong diagnoses, neglecting the elderly, bad doctors ect ect, we're suppose to trust these people with our lives HELLO *NHS TRUST* let me ask you something

if someone you love was diagnosed with something by a doctor and said * oh its nothing its just this and that* a few weeks later took a turn for the worse because of this doctors diagnosesg,

Councils have been told to stop being so anti-motorist in town centres.

Too little, to late.

Public transport & cycling is all good unless you want to buy something big/heavy.

THREAD NECROMANCY. LIFETIME SUPPLY OF NEWSPAPERS TO GET ANGRY ABOUT WITH EVERY POST AFTER THIS.

Right, now that I've gotten your attention I would like to announce that I've been reading the Opinion polls about Scottish Independence and I've found out some good information:

*If the Polls were to ask a simple Yes/No question, then No would be taking the lead 99% of the time by a lead average of around 15% (The only two times that a Yes vote has been in the lead has them pegged at a 1% lead). However, if the question were to include a 'Devolution Max' option, then Devo Max would have the most votes

*Demographics show that voters who are either under 55, living in economically deprived areas or are male are more likely to vote for independence compared to voters who are either over 55, living in affluent areas or are female.

I've also checked who's endorsing who in the whole independence thing:

*People/Groups for Scottish Independence: SNP (Obviously), Scottish Greens, Willie Walsh (CEO of British Airways),Leanne Wood (Leader of the Welsh Nationalist Party, Plaid Cymru) Frankie Boyle, Kevin Bridges, Noam Chomsky (American Political Commentator), Sean Connery, Brian Cox, The Proclaimers and Irvine Welsh (Guy who wrote Trainspotting)

*People/Groups against Scottish Independence: Conservative and Unionist Party (AKA the Tories, clue of where they stand is in their name), Labour, Liberal Democrats (Both parties are actually Federalists and would rather see more devolution of powers to Scotland), UKIP (Dunno why they'd get involved), BAE Systens (Defence contractor, which makes sense for them to oppose seeing as they have a set up in Clyde), George Galloway, Peter Robinson (First Minister for Northern Ireland), Ben van Beurden (CEO of Shell), Donald Brydon (Chairman of Royal Mail). Bob Dudley (CEO of BP), John Barrowman*, David Bowie, Susan Boyle, Sir Alex Ferguson, Eddie Izzard, Alex McLeish (Celtic Manager?), David Tennant* and Emma Thompson

*People/Groups who are on Neither side: Aviva, BSkyB, ITV, STV, Next, Standard Life, RBS, Waitrose, a lot of Scottish Uni's, Visit Scotland (Tourism Agency), Billy Connolly and Andy Murray.

*=NOTE: Speaking as a Doctor Who fan (albeit a very casual one who hasn't seen the show since Series 5), I have no idea about the opinions of all the Scottish actors, writers and directors who've worked on the show about the Independence thing. Though I must say, I probably am expecting Moffat's views (Regardless on what side he's on) will annoy some of the users here *Waiving at nobody in particular*

Lawrence said:
I mean, it is not like anyone will even bother to vote Lib Dem as an alternative this time round, .

No, they still have supporters despite everything. Granted, they're behind a bigger bunch of twats in the opinion polls (Which could either be seen as "Serves them right" or "We're just cutting our noses to spite our faces at this point"), but they still have supporters.

I received a UKIP leaflet in the mail and I've kept it so I can make some funny images out of it.

Honestly though, the 2015 election is going to be hard. Whenever people I know in other countries ask me about it, I basically say that it's hard not because all the candidates are good, but because we're basically having to pick between the lesser of three evils most of the time. I voted Liberal Democrat in 2010 and erm...no, not again.

Lawrence said:
But Lib Dems are still the lesser of three evils. Well, actually, you could vote for the Green party?
I'll probably be voting Green in next month's European Elections, but I'm not sure if my local constituency even has a Green representative during the national elections.

I've attempted for the longest time to avoid the chatter of independence. I'm finding it increasingly likely that my vote for "No" on the indy ref is the only one of the general group i speak with. The thing is, i've not once looked at it from a political standpoint, but more on a business one. Salmond is a bad leader anyways, but i'm not going to let this vote be decided for me based on "pride" or the fact that it means we get away from the tories.

No, I want to know the business pros and cons. What banks will we have outwith Bank of Scotland? RBS is 81% owned by westminster, and the majority of it's branches are in england and they have a lot of branches scattered across europe, india etc. What currency will we have? Can they guarantee without throwing the "scare tactics" comment out that we can have the pound? If not, how long till the Euro, if we get it? How will this affect fledgling businesses too and businesses of the UK.

There is too many holes in this all. I'm not jumping into this unless i know it's going to work. Screw the "oh but it means no tories!" argument. Unless there is more concrete details, i have no reason to vote yes. What's more, the No campaign needs to get off of its high horse and realise that it is a threat and deal with it properly, not say "oh it won't happen" and leave it at that. They aren't helping themselves in anyway.

I expect my comments to be pulled apart ;p they aren't well written i get, but hey. there we go

The currency point you raise is a very good one. Salmond seems to be relying on the notion that Westminster will let Scotland use the Pound, but at the moment it appears that all three major Westminster parties are against the notion. What exactly will Holyrood do if they get independence and the United Kingdom remains adamant about the Pound? I doubt the Euro would go down well.

Also, if they gain independence but keep the UK's currency, will it truly be independence?

Joshawott said:
Also, if they gain independence but keep the UK's currency, will it truly be independence?

Salmonds idea of independence is flawed. He suggests that, we will separate from the rest of the united kingdom, but will keep the Royal Mail(now an independent company with no ties to the government), will stay with the monarchy(the only feesable one), keep the pound(despite the rest of the uk suggesting otherwise), and everything else will flow as normal. I know i'm missing a lot of other things we'll "keep", but it's late, i can't remember them all. I'll be entirely honest, what Salmond should have done, and which would've been fine, is called for more powers for holyrood. Devolution max i think bailiff said. He can't have everything, and he'll find that out fairly swiftly. He wants control of everything, but can't let go to the things that make him feel comfortable. Going independent is a one way trip, people need to realise that. And it ain't going to be a smooth ride if it goes that way

When are England and Scotland going to give back the Kingdom of Northumbria our rightful territory, that's what I want to know.

Arbalest said:
Joshawott said:

Salmond's idea of independence is flawed. He suggests that, we will separate from the rest of the united kingdom, but will keep the Royal Mail(now an independent company with no ties to the government), will stay with the monarchy(the only feasible one), keep the pound(despite the rest of the UK suggesting otherwise), and everything else will flow as normal. I know I'm missing a lot of other things we'll "keep", but it's late, i can't remember them all. I'll be entirely honest, what Salmond should have done, and which would've been fine, is called for more powers for Holyrood. Devolution max I think bailiff said. He can't have everything, and he'll find that out fairly swiftly. He wants control of everything, but can't let go to the things that make him feel comfortable. Going independent is a one way trip, people need to realise that. And it ain't going to be a smooth ride if it goes that way

Yes, I did mention Devo Max which is the position I'm totally for considering that while I agree Scotland should have more power and pissing off Cameron would be hilarious, what Salmond wants if the country should become independent isn't completely feasible and I doubt he'd get it without making (probably hated) concessions.

You a Northumbrian as well, ayase?

As for me, a Northumbrian living in Scotland, devo max would be my preferred choice, then if that worked, maybe go for independence later. As it is, as much as I'm tempted to vote yes because no more Tories, I'm still slightly more inclined towards no because Salmond hasn't said what will happen if we can't keep the pound for example.

st_owly said:
You a Northumbrian as well, ayase?
In the modern sense of the word, not really. All Yorkshire. I just find this drive towards splitting up political and economic unions and going back to older, smaller countries somewhat backwards. If Scotland can become an independent country again, why can't Northumbria? Deira? How far back do we take this thing?

Also, as a northerner, I kinda feel very in the middle of all this. Politically, economically, perhaps even culturally, we have more in common with Scotland than we do the South. If you guys leave, yeah great, no more Tories for you. But Tories for ever for us.

Lawrence said:
Northumbria as its own self governed state was possibly never a viable idea, hence why it has yet to be attempted?
You may be confusing modern day Northumberland for the Kingdom of Northumbria, which was indeed an independent Kingdom from 653–954.

Lawrence said:
I think you can only take this as far as is financially viable. If the state is self sustaining, great, go for it? Otherwise, it's probably a bit of a silly idea.
Very true. But isn't that kind of an argument for states to destroy provincial economic and political power and consolidate it all in one region, so that the provinces can never stand on their own and will never be able to leave the larger union? What about countries that can't afford to support themselves, should they just be absorbed into the economically sound countries?

I should probably point out I'm not actually against those ideas. What I think the EU should have done when Euro economies started to collapse was declare a new order (a pan-European, not racist one I hasten to add), nationalise financial institutions, dissolve national parliaments and consolidate their power. But unfortunately they're not great leaders with vision, they're complacent greedy short-termists in the pockets of global corporates. So instead they've let nationalism take root again and set their political plans back years, if not ruined them completely. And who are the idiotic populace going to elect to the EU next, but a load of people who don't see the point of the institution they're being elected to and paid by. Awesome. 70k a year for that. Maybe I'll start a national party along similar lines, the United Kingdom Dependence Party, with the selling point that we don't believe in the legitimacy of the UK parliament and want it dissolved and to be ruled from the EU.

Don't the Cornish also want independence? lol. Their pasties aren't that good.

Farage is pretty entertaining to type into google images though .Part of me almost wants to vote for him, even though he'd probably deport me, just for the jokes that the thought of him as Prime Minister gives me. Do UKIP stand a viable chance of winning the general election?

YXDLPUN.jpg

PScd5nj.jpg

4bPwP5c.jpg

That last one is ridiculous, it's like a scene from the Walking Dead.

Also, Ayase, where is your avatar from?

vashdaman said:
Do UKIP stand a viable chance of winning the general election?
The general? Probably not, but stranger things have happened. They'll wipe the floor with the others at the EU elections though. I'm just mostly mad that our popular party of rebellion is essentially an old fashioned traditionalist Tory party instead of a left-leaning "f*ck the system" party like the ones that spang up in southern Europe. And while I don't like UKIP at all, nor do I buy the idea that they're racist. It has press collusion with the major parties to smear them written all over it, and will probably backfire when it can't be proved and give UKIP even more support.

vashdaman said:
Also, Ayase, where is your avatar from?
It's an illustration of Kanuka Clancy from Patlabor by Akemi Takada. If you don't know Akemi Takada, or Patlabor, it's worth seeking both of them out.

I know I haven't talked much about anime lately because I've not found much inspiration for new things to watch but... I'm around. I'm always around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back