General News/Current Affairs Thread

Yakumo said:
It also mentioned how the city would be forced to sell its assets (Airport, Parks, etc) to private enterprises just to stay afloat.

Sounds like the premise for a real-life Robocop movie, doesn't it?
They're selling Detroit to private enterprises? I'd buy that for a dollar!

Last edited by a moderator:
How about we all collectively pool funds together, buy Detroit and demolish all of the buildings until the only ones left give the image of Kirino sticking her tongue out when viewed from above?

Joshawott said:
How about we all collectively pool funds together, buy Detroit and demolish all of the buildings until the only ones left give the image of Kirino sticking her tongue out when viewed from above?
Well, since maestro seems to continue to insist on anarchy then guess I'd rather be the one doing the kneecapping, so as long as I can keep Michigan Central Station as my palace and the Ford River Rouge Complex with routes 10, 12 and 39 as the provisional borders of my domain then you have yourself a deal.

Finally... King of the Raiders. It's all I ever wanted.

Psychopaths do not lack empathy, rather they can switch it on at will, according to new research.

I wonder if, as humanity becomes ever more aware of all the horror in the world, this "empathy switch" isn't actually a useful coping mechanism that anyone can in fact find and enable through desensitization. I don't imagine any soldier, general or politician would get far without this very ability, so it's either more common than they admit or all of those professions are full of psychopaths (which may well be the case, but that in itself poses some pretty big questions about how healthy a society actually run by psychopaths is). Although maybe I'm the wrong person to be questioning it...

ayase said:
Psychopaths do not lack empathy, rather they can switch it on at will, according to new research.

I wonder if, as humanity becomes ever more aware of all the horror in the world, this "empathy switch" isn't actually a useful coping mechanism that anyone can in fact find and enable through desensitization. I don't imagine any soldier, general or politician would get far without this very ability, so it's either more common than they admit or all of those professions are full of psychopaths (which may well be the case, but that in itself poses some pretty big questions about how healthy a society actually run by psychopaths is). Although maybe I'm the wrong person to be questioning it...
I would say, at least in the example of soldiers, it is more likely that the switch is flipped subconsciously in response to the experiences they go through. It would be interesting to see us evolve to the point where we had more direct control over things like this, I agree.

Someone important to me has "symptoms" you'd associate with being a psychopath so this article was really interesting and also hopeful for me to read.
Still a bit lousy said psychopaths need to be asked how they would feel in said position to basically feel empathy but at least they can I guess. The person in my life is exactly like that. I'm always having to ask them "how would you feel if this happened to you" for them to realise what their actions and words can do to others and stuff. Can be tough.

Technology continues to advance at an unforseeable pace. What should I see travelling up Drury Lane today but two young gentlemen riding electric golf bags. Not golf carts, I hasten to add, but simply the bags themselves. Wheels, small motors and footstools facilitated their vehicular function.

ayase said:

Indeed, in order for someone to be classified as psychopathic they have to lack empathy. They also have a callous nature. This can be applied to some of the top leaders/businessmen and other individuals of the world. However, psychopaths can also be very charming and this is why the article alludes to the 'on-off switch' of empathy. I don't think anyone in society adheres to the so-called 100% normal status as everyone has certain predispositions to abnormality. Perhaps ruthless people are needed at the top to make decisions because of their lack of the personal liability and accountability. BUT it is also thanks to these certain groups of people; Bankers, politicians and etc. - who make a living by making decisions without conscience or consequence - that the rest of us have to suffer through this recession. It is an interesting area to research regardless!

Not saying this applies to all bankers, politicians and leaders but it has been noted that they are more likely to have these traits associated with psychopathy.

i read in the mirror that there going to send people who needs surgery to india cause it'll be cheaper,

theres a few things wrong with this

1 even tho it'll be cheap to have surgery how are relieves and loved ones suppose to stay by there side if its going to cost them get on a plane and costs for hotels not knowing how long there going to be in there, also what about work and those who cant travel,

2 if it costs alot then why not lower the costs,

this country has gone to the dogs

Back