General News/Current Affairs Thread

ayase said:
The way languages are taught in school (or were when I was that age) I think far too much time is spent on reading and writing and nowhere near enough on listening to and understanding the spoken language, speaking and correct pronunciation (which are the ACTUAL important things if you want to successfully communicate). I've learned more French in the last bloody month than I did several years of school - The National Curriculum seems to be what works best for teachers and Ofsted, not what's best for students to actually learn.

I'd go along with this as well. Being able to read street signs is great and all but I would prefer to be in a position where I can communicate to a decent level with a German.

Also the award for biggest pillock in politics has been decided. It's going to this guy - http://news.sky.com/story/1090626/japan ... sex-slaves

What do you think Number One?

facepalm.jpg

GRCC said:
Also the award for biggest pillock in politics has been decided. It's going to this guy - http://news.sky.com/story/1090626/japan ... sex-slaves
Mr Hashimoto, 43, is co-head of the newly formed Japan Restoration Party with former Tokyo governor Shintaro Ishihara
When I clicked the link I was sure it was going to be Ishihara who'd made the comment in question, so this makes perfect sense. I can't find him anything other than hilarious for his complete lack of political correctness as well as his ability and willingness to candidly offend almost everyone (like watching Liar Liar remade with Nick Griffin).

Really, all the far right have to do to make people see how ridiculous their views are is be honest - As long as they're doing that and we have freedom of speech, they're not dangerous. It's the decietful politicians who say one thing and do another (or constantly speak in riddles) we have to watch...

Really, all the far right have to do to make people see how ridiculous their views are is be honest - As long as they're doing that and we have freedom of speech, they're not dangerous. It's the decietful politicians who say one thing and do another (or constantly speak in riddles) we have to watch...

But then, how did a man like that even get elected as Governor of Tokyo in the first place, let alone holding that office for as long as he did, despite his seemingly total lack political consideration. I remember the first time I read his wiki page, I thought it was a piss take.

What's even more disturbing about this is guy is that he was born 25 years after all this ended. Yet he still feels strongly enough about it to be defending it.

I also wonder if he would have said the same thing about European women in Asia who were enslaved by the Japanese. I get the impression that conservative Japanese look down on other East Asians as being subhuman.

It's probably due to all that historic mythical stuff about the Emperor being divine, and the Japanese being the special descendants of these godly beings. errh, basically every race has probably believed they were the "special chosen ones" at some point or another, but it's incredibly depressing that some people still think it's true.

vashdaman said:
It's probably due to all that historic mythical stuff about the Emperor being divine, and the Japanese being the special descendants of these godly beings. errh, basically every race has probably believed they were the "special chosen ones" at some point or another, but it's incredibly depressing that some people still think it's true.

thats stupid theres no such thing as race, in my eyes everyone's all the same *human*

animefreak17 said:
vashdaman said:

thats stupid theres no such thing as race, in my eyes everyone's all the same *human*

It's not human, it's Jock Thompson's bairns.

Get the terminology right!

Ark said:
What's even more disturbing about this is guy is that he was born 25 years after all this ended. Yet he still feels strongly enough about it to be defending it.

I also wonder if he would have said the same thing about European women in Asia who were enslaved by the Japanese. I get the impression that conservative Japanese look down on other East Asians as being subhuman.

I think it's more to do with them trying to present a hardline foreign policy stance that differs from the left and moderate right. Part of that policy is going to involve stupid comments that play to a certain domestic audience. I think all you can do is try too contain them politically instead of letting it fester into a severe problem ie them getting into an electable position in the Diet. You can't ignore them, only speak about them to mock them and then hope they go away.

What I'm saying is that moderates should debate these people, ahow the voters that people like Hashimoto are wrong headed about this. Otherwise him and his ilk are going to keep attracting people to their message & party and that's no good for anyone.

Ark said:

Maybe his father was one of the generals that gave an "inspection" to a few of the nightly entertainment

GRCC said:
I think it's more to do with them trying to present a hardline foreign policy stance that differs from the left and moderate right. Part of that policy is going to involve stupid comments that play to a certain domestic audience.

What political policies would these comments actually relate to though? It's not like a uk conservative politician praising Thatcher's deregulation of the banks in order to get votes. Sexually enslaving Asian women doesn't have any relation to modern day Japan.

Sickening. People who do such things ought to be sacrificed to science, so that at least something worthwhile may be garnered from their miserable existence.

Regarding the post I just deleted, please can we be above the press and avoid inflammatory, discriminatory remarks on this topic.

R

There are scumbags of every race and religion. These guys are clearly just crazy attention seeking nutters, and clearly it worked as the whole Internet and every politician seems to be talking about them.

st_owly said:
There are scumbags of every race and religion. These guys are clearly just crazy attention seeking nutters, and clearly it worked as the whole Internet and every politician seems to be talking about them.

Last I checked there was one race of people and that was the human race. Is there aliens on this planet too?

I got teary eyed when the photo of Lee was released. The newspapers should not of been so detailed in describing how he lost his life. It made me feel sick and really upset. The pain that must of been felt when being taken from this world in such a manner is unbearable to think about.

About 3-4 hours ago, a man was stabbed around 500 metres from where Lee was. Police are not treating the event as being related to what happened to Lee.

Someone was also stabbed/shot in the throat in Moss Side here in Manchester. That area of Manchester has always scared me with Rusholme right behind it.

So much violence :(

Morrisons has suspended a member of staff for wearing a Help the Heroes wristband...

...the last time I checked a wristband which can be removed and washed is probably more clean than some of the other stuff some staff wear in the name of religion.

Organised religion, the biggest killer known to humans.

They attack, but as soon as someone fights back they moan like hell.

Back