General Cartoons Thread

I was eight years old when the original Scooby Doo, Where are You? series aired back in 1969-1970. I enjoyed the original series episodes but completely lost all interest in it when they introduced Scrappy Doo later in the 1970's. I haven't watched any Scooby Doo series or movies since then.

The best stuff IMO post-original series is direct-to-cideo 'Scooby-Doo on Zombie I'and' and the 'Mystery Incorporated' series rrom a few tears ago. Primarily because, like the original, they remember to alkow it to be have moments of genuine creepiness, atmosphere and a willingness to be a bit provocative, for kids ar the very least.

So it turns out season 4 of Bravest Warriors which was not legally available outside the US is on Amazon Prime now. Took Frederator/Nelvana long enough to make it finally legally watchable here!

Just thought I’d say that anyone who enjoys stylish animation, anime references and generally filthy content that doesn’t take itself at all seriously should really be watching Ballmastrz: 9009. The second season just recently started and I think it’s brilliant.

So the Harley Quinn animated series that started about 6 months ago in the US finally made it to the All 4 streaming service over here.........and they are pulling the same crap Disney Plus UK did with The Mandalorian by putting up 1 episode a week........why?.

I'm curious however if anyone has seen it, I really like it despite the sometimes excessive violence (well more over the top than excessive) and i never would have thought Kaley Cuoco would have made a decent Harley Quinn voice (shes no Arleen Sorkin though who was the original and best Harley voice, also I like Tara Strong's Harley but it seems I'm in the minority on that which suprises me considering how worshipped she is by the animation fandom). I'd recommend it but know what your in for first cause I remember quite a number of people being a bit put off by the first episode

So, lots has happened in animation.
-Close Enough from the creator of Regular Show finally came out about 2 years after it was supposed to air on TBS.
-Crossing Swords (from Robot Chicken studio Stoopid Buddy Studios) dropped back in Juns and turned out to be better than i thought.
-Star Trek Lower Decks drops this week but im kinda dreading it a bit, Star Trek crossed with crass adult humour just seems a bit wrong. I'll still check it out but im not that enthusiastic about it
-We Bare Bears came to an end with a movie (which i've yet to see)
-My Little Pony Friendship Is Magic got a more comedic spin off in the form of Pony Life. I'm liking it even if it is kinda TTG like but i dont see that as a bad thing

There was a 3d movie made in the 80's that I really liked called Starchaser-The Legend Of Orin. It never really got the attention that it deserved. It had elements of Star Wars and a small amount of Star Trek and a lot of other sci fi mixed in.

Recently I've been making a start on OK K.O! Let's Be Heroes and I'm really enjoying it the protagonist K.O is such a sweet kid, there's quite a bit of bodily diversity, the messages of the show are good, it's beautifully animated and coloured/drawn, and it makes me laugh and smile. I've also been rewatching the final few episodes of Futurama with someone special who hasn't seen them before and I laugh a lot more watching them with him :) Other than that I wanna recommend Trollhunters: Tales of Arcadia to everyone it is so good and the CGI is gorgeous plus it has Kelsey Grammar being hilarious in it as one of the trolls XD It made me cry and I also give it major points for how it never treats kids like they are stupid or just need to grow up but also makes a real effort to develop it's adult characters and help the audience see their perspective too. Also it's really nice that Jim's mum is, you know, actually alive and a positive force in his life :) I've loved cartoons since I was young so I have too many favourites to list really, but for anyone reading this maybe check out Kirikou and the Sorceress? It's a lovely French animated film that I've rewatched a lot and shown to several friends - all of them really liked it! :)

So VAs Tara Strong and Greg Cipes (Raven and Beast Boy in Teen Titans Go respectively) started up a podcast on YouTube and since both follow me on Twitter I wanted to repay that by promoting their new show. To give you an idea of what to expect they have an episode tonight where they are talking with Kevin Conroy (Batman from Batman TAS), Grey Griffin (the current voice of Daphne in Scooby Doo) and Andrea Romano (former voice director)

There was a 3d movie made in the 80's that I really liked called Starchaser-The Legend Of Orin. It never really got the attention that it deserved. It had elements of Star Wars and a small amount of Star Trek and a lot of other sci fi mixed in.
I remember it well. In the mid 80s, the local video rental place only had one shelf for U and PG certificate movies, so I became intimately familiar with almost every one of them. The place might have actually been a newsagent or off-licence; I was pretty young, so I can't remember. Anyway, they had Starchaser, and it was one hell of an experience for a 7-year-old. I think the scene at the beginning where the villain strangles a woman was the first time I saw someone killed in an animated movie. That traumatised me for a while (most things traumatised me in the 80s).

I watched the first four seasons of Spirit Riding Free and started season 5 recently-ish, I'd recommend it, fun with decent CGI and great writing, some lovely musical moments and funny jokes as well. One of those things that's far better than it has any right to be IMO :) I'd also recommend Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron which is the film the series spawned from :) Rewatched The Prince of Egypt recently as well and that's an incredible movie. Has anyone here seen The Adventures of Mark Twain (1986)? That's an awesome, profoundly philosophical and pioneering claymation film that I'm lucky to own the Eureka UK BD of, recently rewatched it and it holds up very well :)

Has anyone here seen The Adventures of Mark Twain (1986)? That's an awesome, profoundly philosophical and pioneering claymation film that I'm lucky to own the Eureka UK BD of, recently rewatched it and it holds up very well :)
Yes, that was a very creepy movie. The main thing I remember was that one bizarre scene where the kids are chatting with Lucifer.

Speaking of creepy animation, does anyone remember a short film called The Harpy? It was shown on one of those late-night anthology blocks that Channel 4 did back in the 90s, possibly Night Train. Total nightmare fuel. Also NSFW due to monster nipples.

Back