General anime thoughts/discussion thread.

Uzumaki is the best horror manga I've ever read, and one of the best pieces of horror fiction in any medium. Even if the anime version does materialise at some point, only three episodes are planned, so it will likely only adapt the first few chapters. Even if you're not much of a manga reader (I'm not, to be honest), I highly recommend it.
I have it on my shelf actually I think I am due a re-read

Yeah, it was awful. It tried to be faithful to the source material, but Ito's work has a very specific atmosphere that's difficult to adapt.

Uzumaki is the best horror manga I've ever read, and one of the best pieces of horror fiction in any medium. Even if the anime version does materialise at some point, only three episodes are planned, so it will likely only adapt the first few chapters. Even if you're not much of a manga reader (I'm not, to be honest), I highly recommend it.
I've been holding off reading it since I heard about the anime adaptation, as I expect the manga to be better. Lots on my list to keep me occupied so will stick with my plan for now, unless the anime doesn't happen I guess.

I'm curious about Uzumaki now, I'm an unusual case when it comes to reading manga - every so often I would read maybe 100 volumes in the space of a couple of months (and probably a few volumes of the Spice and Wolf LNs as well), then go through extended periods (like usually at least a year, perhaps two) of barely reading manga if at all. I haven't even had a big manga binge in a long time and tbh I miss it but I do have to be in a certain "zone" mentally to do it :(

Does the UK blu-ray of the Ghibli movie Pom Poko have the English dub or just the Japanese with English subs? Would appreciate if someone could let me know, thankyou :)

i wish with the west becoming a bigger part in anime production that it would lead to better audio mastering, not everything would need 5.1/7.1 audio but it would be nice to watch the something like Attack on Titan or Reincarnated as a Slime that way outside of recap movies

(Didn't know where to put this, so posting it here, for anyone who is interested)

Haha! Thunderbolt Fantasy is so awesome - but a crossover with Fate Grand Order? Priceless!

April Fool's Day video posted on Youtube...

Making Of video:

(Didn't know where to put this, so posting it here, for anyone who is interested)

Haha! Thunderbolt Fantasy is so awesome - but a crossover with Fate Grand Order? Priceless!

April Fool's Day video posted on Youtube...

Making Of video:

Extremely late to this as always, the video is great! But yeah, Thunderbolt got its hooks on me again and it's oh so sweet. I've been playing the new OP on repeat, it's amazing.

Loving the new season so far, no surprise there... I would love to have a comprehensive release of the series and movies on Blu-ray in the west.

I'm kind of confused, about GITS Arise, I watched the series years ago when it first came out, I remember it being like a short series. I felt to rewatch it and assumed it was the Arise that was on Netflix but that seems to be two films. Looking at the wikipedia has only somehow confused my brain more, are the two films on Netflix a complete compilation of the series I watched in two films instead of five episodes, or something different?

This Jujutsu Kaisen show seems to be the new Demon Slayer in terms of popularity, I'm seeing it randomly everywhere and lots of people have mentioned it to me as their new favourite anime. I get dubious about shows this popular, especially Shonen ones, what's the consensus here??

Arise was a 4 part OVA series with 4 45 minute episodes as far as I understand. Netflix only has the first two on but Funimation has the others if you have access

Yeah, from memory, Arise was originally released as four hour-long OVAs (of which only two are on Netflix, for some reason), then later recut into a TV series with half-hour episodes (including two new ones) known as 'Alternative Architecture'. As WMD said, that's then followed by GitS: The New Movie.

I did watch a little bit of Jujutsu Kaisen when it came out - some of the animation is really, really great, but the show otherwise is just kind of fine, I guess. There's nothing wrong with it (could maybe have done without the molestation overtones in an enemy attack during one of the first episodes), but from what I saw, it just seemed like standard shonen fighting fare.

Looking at the wikipedia has only somehow confused my brain more,
Thanks for that Vash, because now you’ve also confused me. I own and have watched the four “borders” and haven’t got around to The New Movie yet, but apparently there’s also something called “Pyrophoric Cult” which comes between those, yet doesn’t appear to have an English release?

Yeah, Pyrophoric Cult is the arc covered by the two extra episodes they added for the TV broadcast. I don't think they ever got a physical release in the UK, but they're streaming on Funimation.

It's only now that I'm actually speaking this aloud (or writing it out, I guess) that I realise how incredibly convoluted it's all become...

Below is a photo I took back in 2015 showing all of my JP imports for Arise,. These sets are all English subtitled. The steelbook at lower left was a Limited Edition empty storage case that came bundled with each of the OVAs for a very short time, to store the four Arise OVA discs together.

Netflix in the US only had the first 3 Borders available to stream, they never did release the fourth one, as far as I am aware. Also, the Pyrophoric Cult episodes were never aired here either. Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie was the very first anime I ever saw in a commercial movie theater.

allarise.jpg

Last edited:
I see, thanks, so I take it what I watched was the four original episodes or "borders" that were OVAs. So annoying and weird that Netflix only has two of them. It's like how they only have the first series of Attack of Titan. Frustrating. Is it the same case with Jojo, is there any chance of Netlix ever getting the later seasons of it?

@Professor Irony
Thanks, doesn't really sound like it's for me then. To be honest I think I find it hard to really enjoy most Shonen shows these days, with a couple of exceptions like Jojo.

Back