General anime thoughts/discussion thread.

thought my red/blue gundam case project had hit some motion but as soon as it started it got stopped, relative mentioned when they were in poundland the other day they saw some red blu-ray cases so i asked them to get me some next time they popped in, unfortunately they misheard me and thought i said one but it works out better because ZZ and Zeta are 3 disc cases on both parts and the red case is one of those dual sided disc cases so i'm gonna have to figure that out next on which cheap movie i can get a red case from that includes disc clips

will probably try to get another incase i ever acquiring a uk copy of the Origins I-IV set which i know is 2 discs

Oooh, going off track, this is meant to be good if I'm not mistaken? Was it ever released on blu ray
I rate it, definitely. @WMD might be able to sell you on it as well.

There's no UK Blu-ray of it, but I'm not sure about other regions. Try having a rummage through this for starters?

Oooh, going off track, this is meant to be good if I'm not mistaken? Was it ever released on blu ray (thanks to Dai's defective discs thread I've become dvd phobic!! except when no blu ray versions in existence)

There's no UK Blu-ray of it, but I'm not sure about other regions. Try having a rummage through this for starters?
I love Ghost Hunt. I wont say it's the greatest thing every but theres something about it and I watch it every year. The cast is really likeable, the cases are interesting, mysterious and can be scary, and the whole thing just works even if it can be a touch corny at times ( it's part if the shows charm.)

Most of the stories are multi episode arcs so you really get into the lore and mysticism at work. The penultimate arc is so creepy and genuinely scary at times. The main character, Mai, is new to the whole spirits and spooky goings on so you're on a journey with her. I just really like it.

Don’t really know where to put this, but as I’ve been (re)unboxing my collection upon moving I realise I have quite a few DVD duplicates of things I’ve upgraded to blu-ray (even some blu-rays I’ve bought new editions of) and also DVD discs from dual-format editions I will never get any use out of.

I’d give them away in the freebies thread (and some I already have privately) but I had a thought, which is that maybe people would like to trade them for similar discs of little value but of things I don’t have or have never seen; a kind of anime swap-shop to introduce people to new shows they maybe wouldn’t otherwise try or buy.

Just gauging opinion really as to whether this would be something that would interest people, if it is I’ll go ahead and make a thread with my initial offerings, but if there’s no interest there’s not really much point and I’ll just stick them in the freebie thread.

Don’t really know where to put this, but as I’ve been (re)unboxing my collection upon moving I realise I have quite a few DVD duplicates of things I’ve upgraded to blu-ray (even some blu-rays I’ve bought new editions of) and also DVD discs from dual-format editions I will never get any use out of.

I’d give them away in the freebies thread (and some I already have privately) but I had a thought, which is that maybe people would like to trade them for similar discs of little value but of things I don’t have or have never seen; a kind of anime swap-shop to introduce people to new shows they maybe wouldn’t otherwise try or buy.

Just gauging opinion really as to whether this would be something that would interest people, if it is I’ll go ahead and make a thread with my initial offerings, but if there’s no interest there’s not really much point and I’ll just stick them in the freebie thread.

I have a lot of stuff like that as well (mostly DVDs) and think this is quite a good idea, though a lot of my DVDs are Region 1 US imported releases, yeah I'd potentially be up for this - postage costs would have to be worked out, but could be good. Also would be interested to know if anyone would be up for say, swapping an anime movie or two on BD that they don't want and that's not really rare or expensive for a generous quantity of well-regarded anime on DVD, like all of Fullmetal Alchemist 2003, FMA: Brotherhood UK release in five parts, or the old CPM Utena sets, for instance? I have all of those and would probably happily trade an entire series like that for one or two Ghibli movies (particularly if the slipcover is missing or the case is in less than perfect condition so swapper is happy to let it go for a lower price) or one or two short anime series on Blu-ray? Would be preferable to just throwing them away or not getting anything at all in return. Again not talking about swapping rare BDs for old DVDs (unless people actually wanna do that!) more with things that aren't worth masses of money now on either side of the equation but both sides want what they're receiving and it's less wasteful than just throwing things away.

EDIT: I also have a fair few of the better regarded Disney Animated Classics films on DVD that I'm looking to shift as I recently bought them on Blu-ray so if anyone's interested in those I'd be happy to consider a trade there as well, mostly UK editions as well so wouldn't require a multi-region player :)

Last edited:
a lot of my DVDs are Region 1 US imported releases
So are quite a few of mine, I think as long as people make that clear there shouldn’t be an issue with that.
postage costs would have to be worked out, but could be good. Also would be interested to know if anyone would be up for say, swapping an anime movie or two on BD that they don't want and that's not really rare or expensive for a generous quantity of well-regarded anime
I have ideas on both fronts: Firstly that it might be simplest to have a “no money changes hands” scenario and people simply pay to send things out rather than to have things sent, absorbing the cost of outbound postage as a token for what they receive in return.

The other is that as long as people are happy with an unequal trade, no problem (although anything actually worth more than a couple of quid at CeX might be better off just being sold) but it could be operated on a like-for-like basis, a blu-ray for a blu-ray, a DVD for a DVD. Want my 7 disc box set of GitS: SAC? Send me 7 DVDs of anything else. I’ll probably set a thread up anyway this evening because even two people is enough to get started, but do let me know your thoughts on these ideas, along with anyone else who might be interested.

So are quite a few of mine, I think as long as people make that clear there shouldn’t be an issue with that.

I have ideas on both fronts: Firstly that it might be simplest to have a “no money changes hands” scenario and people simply pay to send things out rather than to have things sent, absorbing the cost of outbound postage as a token for what they receive in return.

The other is that as long as people are happy with an unequal trade, no problem (although anything actually worth more than a couple of quid at CeX might be better off just being sold) but it could be operated on a like-for-like basis, a blu-ray for a blu-ray, a DVD for a DVD. Want my 7 disc box set of GitS: SAC? Send me 7 DVDs of anything else. I’ll probably set a thread up anyway this evening because even two people is enough to get started, but do let me know your thoughts on these ideas, along with anyone else who might be interested.

I would have to think a bit to give a more in-depth opinion but I will at least see what is offered by others if you start this thread - I do mostly only buy BDs now but I don't wanna rule out swapping DVDs for DVDs and since one person's trash is another person's treasure, who knows what kinda cool swag people might be willing to swap :) I think I will also start a new thread in the marketplace forum as well for my own stuff to see if I can get cool swaps or make some monies there, but your idea is a good one (funnily enough I have the seven GITS SAC DVD singles (with tin box no less) as well!).

@ayase Sorry if I jumped the gun earlier, I guess I was a little impulsive and I'm sorry if I'm being inconsiderate by suggesting trades of BDs in return for DVDs. I feel like I was rude IDK :/ It is a cool idea for a thread though! I've been agonizing over what to do with my old anime DVDs for years, it's just that I'm reluctant to add more DVDs to my collection to replace them, if that makes sense? But I don't really like the idea of just chucking them in the bin (or recycling). I was wondering if perhaps there is an animation or anime resource/appreciation society in the UK that would want them? I keep thinking "why all the Blu-rays I could make space for if I just got rid of all these old DVDs!" and then not really knowing what to do, particularly with lockdown making it harder to get rid of stuff. Anyway yeah sorry if I was inconsiderate :/

I'm sorry if I'm being inconsiderate by suggesting trades of BDs in return for DVDs. I feel like I was rude IDK :/
Not at all, no worries! The whole idea of bringing this up here was to GET such feedback and see if there was interest. Of course, I wouldn't want or expect anyone to make trades they didn't want to, there'll be absolutely no hard feelings if you don't want my stuff! The kind of thread I'm envisioning would simply enable people to list stuff they would be willing trade, it in no way implies they have to give it away for stuff they don't want. As I mentioned above, if there's stuff you think is actually valuable, you'd probably be better off making a sales thread and getting a fair price for it than trading. I see this as a real kind of bargain bin, swap stuff that CeX would only give you less than a fiver for (or not take at all because no cases) kind of thread. Not least because it would work off trust and I wouldn't want anyone sending off £50+ of blu-rays to some rando who's never posted in the forums before and getting nothing in return.

I agree with you very much re: CEX as a fairly useful metric for value :) I think I was envisioning it working out like, say "I give you five Disney DVDs for one Ponyo Blu-ray" (which CEX are currently selling for £5 anyway) or something else like that so it's an equivalent trade from both sides' perspective, and also I agree that it's prob. better to send out one small set of low-value items at a time as yes someone might try what you said if they are not a well known forumite :/ I do think it's worth setting up the thread and seeing how it goes, and thinking about it my main personal reservation or preference apart from what I've already said would be things like space (would rather swap larger things for smaller more compact sets on the whole as I am trying to keep my physical media collection from expanding how much space it takes up). If you started the thread, would you mind if I put a list in it of some stuff I am looking for that is DVD-only, along with my list of what I have that I'm looking to swap from my collection? :)

If you started the thread, would you mind if I put a list in it of some stuff I am looking for that is DVD-only, along with my list of what I have that I'm looking to swap from my collection?
I think that's a perfectly reasonable idea. I probably won't include a "looking for" section with my own list since I simply don't know, I'd just be interested to see what others might have or be willing to trade. I'll set up a thread and put in some of the points you've helped me to consider shortly, thanks for the feedback.

I love Ghost Hunt. I wont say it's the greatest thing every but theres something about it and I watch it every year. The cast is really likeable, the cases are interesting, mysterious and can be scary, and the whole thing just works even if it can be a touch corny at times ( it's part if the shows charm.)

Most of the stories are multi episode arcs so you really get into the lore and mysticism at work. The penultimate arc is so creepy and genuinely scary at times. The main character, Mai, is new to the whole spirits and spooky goings on so you're on a journey with her. I just really like it.
Thanks guys, I love myself a bit of horror so it's on my to buy list. Doesn't seem to be on blu ray elsewhere either.

The whole idea of bringing this up here was to GET such feedback and see if there was interest.
I've been agonizing over what to do with my old anime DVDs for years, it's just that I'm reluctant to add more DVDs to my collection to replace them, if that makes sense? But I don't really like the idea of
I think this kind of thread is a great idea as it would really pain me to just throw away something that could be treasured by someone else (though I see a give away thread here already). Regardless, full disclosure: I'll probably be pretty useless in this case as I tend to hoard my stuff and even after getting blu rays struggle to part with the old dvds heh. I'd be surprised if there isn't more interest on this though.

I started a thread last Halloween asking for horror anime suggestions. It seems to be a genre lacking in the anime space, Ghost Hunt was pretty good though.

Wasn't there a Junji Ito anime?
Yeah I really enjoy a bit of horror including in anime. Will have a look at your thread, sounds up my street.

Yeah whatever happened to that Junji Ito one, Uzamaki wasn't it?

FYI: Beware of scam texts stating you need to clear customs charges to release a delivery from royal mail. Tried to follow a link from one, only for my phone to thankfully block it with a malware warning. I find these very easy to spot in emails but texts are trickier as there aren't easy telltale signs with them I find.

Wasn't there a Junji Ito anime?
Yeah, it was awful. It tried to be faithful to the source material, but Ito's work has a very specific atmosphere that's difficult to adapt.

Yeah whatever happened to that Junji Ito one, Uzamaki wasn't it?
Uzumaki is the best horror manga I've ever read, and one of the best pieces of horror fiction in any medium. Even if the anime version does materialise at some point, only three episodes are planned, so it will likely only adapt the first few chapters. Even if you're not much of a manga reader (I'm not, to be honest), I highly recommend it.

Back