General anime thoughts/discussion thread.

Dannielle said:
Guess this is the right place to put it?

Persona 4 - Best BD release? and where to find them? ..please & thank you : 3

To answer your question, nowhere.

Sentai Filmworks' release has been forced to Dub only (the Region 1 version is bilingual on the other hand).

Manga UK/Kaze and Madman AU are using Kaze's discs. Discs with this:
No sign translations for the subtitle track, only on the sign-only subs, though audio tracks can be toggled through the pop-up menu. Also no translation at all for the eyecatches and one OP. The same problems crop up in the second volume. And more subtitle problems in the third, made worse by the OVA having locked subtitle tracks.

So I watched that OVA of My Little Monster. Well, I'm not going to even lie, I didn't watch it all, but I saw enough of it to know that it was just some random parallel universe spin off story type nonsense. NOT the closure I so badly wanted. I subsequently googled the issue and discovered that the show has not been picked up for a second season!! How can this be possible, My Little Monster is very likely the greatest anime of the last decade! How can they leave me with my dick flapping in the wind like this! I need consoling, guys. And possibly counselling too, judging by how incensed this has made me.

Today, I realised that Viz Media have scheduled the release date of the physical version of Nisekoi volume 1 to the week after the debut of the anime. My reaction:

tumblr_inline_my8bfusuRs1rc49hh.png

I don't know what that means, but probably. I still haven't got over it. I'm actually prepared to read the manga if I have to. Does anyone have any experience with the manga? Is it available in English? When I contemplate over the fact that Flowers of frigging Evil gets to have a second season (even after showing us what will happen in it anyway!) yet My Little Monster has been left out in the cold, I want to start splitting wigs. Splitting the wigs of stupid anime industry bigwigs.

vashdaman said:
I don't know what that means, but probably. I still haven't got over it. I'm actually prepared to read the manga if I have to. Does anyone have any experience with the manga? Is it available in English? When I contemplate over the fact that Flowers of frigging Evil gets to have a second season (even after showing us what will happen in it anyway!) yet My Little Monster has been left out in the cold, I want to start splitting wigs. Splitting the wigs of stupid anime industry bigwigs.

A quick search indicates Vol 1 will be released by Kodansha in March 2014, Vol 2 in May 2014.

It's always a pain when you get into a show and then check up online to see how it did and realise it bombed in Japan for one reason or another.

-edit- and occasionally things take a while to get a 2nd season - it's largely on how it sells in Japan

Flowers of Evil is also one of my favourite series of the year! An absolute work of art. We won't get a second season though.

9Ql1NRh_zps9445e975.gif

Started watching some Golden Time, which I remembered Ath recommending to me a little while ago. Maybe watched 8 or 9 eps now. At first it really wasn't doing much for me at all, but it's started improving over the last few episodes with the characters becoming less and less one dimensional and annoying, and instead slowing showing more relatable and subtle emotion and behaviour. Hmm, on second thought, maybe I shouldn't have used the word subtle to describe this show, as on the whole it's not really subtle at all. Just like most other similar anime, it is overly melodramatic a lot of the time, and even though I know it's the "( not very) unique twist" of the show, I had to roll my eyes at yet another frigging amnesiatic hero. It definitely does have it's moments though, and is better than many comparable shows (I'm sort of guessing there). Right now it's kind of looking a bit like a cross between that show with the ghost dude (something Rendezvous) and Nana, but neither as sophisticated or pretentious as the former, and just all round better than the latter. So it's not a bad look really.

I kind of circled round Golden Time a bit, but I've never actually given it a shot. Feels like I should probably try to finish Honey & Clover first.

Watched the first episode of My Little Monster as well, out of curiosity. It's certainly better than the name would have led me to believe, but I found the male lead difficult to stomach. Seems like a perfectly decent show for what it is, but I dunno, probably not something I'd go out of my way to watch, if I'm honest.

What's Honey and Clover like? I think I've heard good things about it on here before. Also, I agree the title My Little Monster is pretty crap, and it's not even relevant to the show really, so it is a strange choice of name. I fear the hyperbole I have a tendency spout about that show may have set you up for disappointment there, prof. One thing I will say though, is that My Little Monster definitely gets better as it goes on, the characters in particular.

Hold the phone! I no longer have a Crunchyroll subscription, I just went to the site a sampled streaming something. It seems that my adblock program is blocking CR advertisements. Genius. Why did no one tell me of this!? Sure, I no longer have that cute little "exclusive stream for Vashdaman" thing, but I can live without that.

OK, so I'm on a roll with these kinds of shows and I've gotten back into White Album. It's not too bad ya know. Though I'm up to ep 5 or 6 now and it's starting to get all a bit preposterous, but it's still got a decent cold/ wintry/ 80s (though it could do with more 80s) atmosphere. But this is turning into some kind of nightmarish harem type thing isn't it? When will anime writers and producers get it through their heads that normal guys do not relate to having every female wanting to boink you? Also, I'm currently more gripped by the mystery of the secret broom closet room than anything else. What is going on with that lol!

Last edited by a moderator:
vashdaman said:
What's Honey and Clover like? I think I've heard good things about it on here before.

It's not bad. The fact that it was set at a university, rather than yet another high school, was a welcome change and it plays its characters pretty well too. The only thing I didn't like was the way it places Hagu, one of its female leads, on a pedestal for no readily apparent reason. I had a hard time buying into her as an immediate object of romantic obsession, when she behaves like an autistic savant and looks like one of the dolls from Rozen Maiden. Some people read her as a fetishised loli character, but I don't think it's that, I just found it a bit jarring when everything else felt so easily relatable.

Back