General anime thoughts/discussion thread.

Having grown up watching DBZ on Toonami, I've been exposed to a load of different musical scores from it :p I'm fond of elements of all of them, from Shuki Levi's otherworldly style stuff for the Rock the Dragon era, to Bruce Faulconer's trippy synth work, Shunsuke Kikuchi's original orchestral stuff and yes...even the recycled Mega Man music from the later Ocean Dub :p

So on the subject of composers, does anyone have any favourite anime composers? Lately I've been trying to pay more attention to the people responsible for composing scores. Michiru Oshima I keep an ear out for thanks to her work with FMA and Blast of Tempest, whilst lately Hiroyuki Sawano's music has caught my attention with Blue Exorcist, Guilty Crown and Attack on Titan (can't wait to see what he does with Monolith Soft's X!).

I know it's an obvious answer but I'm a huge Yuki Kajiura fan. It also helps that quite a lot of manga I really love got her treatment when animated (Tsubasa and PH? It's fate really.). She has such a distinctive style that really brings out the emotion of the series. A few of her pieces, such as Hear Our Prayer and Alone, reduce me to tears every time I listen to them. I think she really pays close attention to the series she is composing for and matches her music to it perfectly.

animefreak17 said:
ok i was watching dragon ball kai on tv the other day and to be honest, it was crap, before you say anything let me explain why its crap

1 the background music is awful, yes i gathered its not thee legendary Bruce Faulconer its the original japanese background but if i was to have watched dragon ball z with the original japanese background music then i dont think id be a dragon ball z fan as much as i am today,

2 the animation looks like it was taken from the original show and looks like it had the colours filtered,

3 some of the new voices for the characters sound crap * again im getting old * freiza sounds more of a old lady then he did in the original, and gohans voice sounds like a teenager but gohans only 5-7

I really liked Kai, in fact I liked that they used the really dramatic music from the original a lot because it added to the drama of the scenes. I also like both versions of Gohan (Funi Original and Kai). You've probably heard a voice i haven't though, maybe the ocean dub? I have to admit though that Kai was my first viewing of DBZ so that could explain a lot of my thoughts and why I am struggling to get through the original.

I do love Kajiura. Her music that is, I believe the lady herself can be rather.. odd :p

I have other soundtracks that I love, but none that I've bought purely because of the artist. I'm not sure I even have two from different shows that have the same composer other than Kajiura.

Other artists I have recognised by their work though, include Kenji Kawaii, Yasuhiro Misawa and Satoru Kousaki.

Jerome revealed on Facebook that across all four volumes, Clannad only sold 2,909 copies. He states that that's less than 1,000 per volume, so I assume that at least one of the volumes must have sold over 1,000 units...then the sales fell?

Much as I am a little surprised at just how low the numbers are, they were a couple of years late to the party - it's probably not to be wondered at.

GolGotha said:
He just stated that Angel Beats Blu-ray has sold 933 copies since June 2012.
*Raises hand* Admittedly, I haven't bought this one yet. Didn't want to drop down £25 on a blind-buy. Is it worth it?

I haven't see it, but I know Ath has.

Amazon rates it as 4.5/5 stars and MAL rates it as 8.58/10.
It's also number 62 on the MAL top anime chart.

I enjoy Angel Beats. It's a fun watch even if it could have used more character development and more episodes. Visually lovely without a doubt. I think it's worth a watch at least.

AngBea was excellent, imo.

Joshawott said:
Jerome revealed on Facebook that across all four volumes, Clannad only sold 2,909 copies. He states that that's less than 1,000 per volume, so I assume that at least one of the volumes must have sold over 1,000 units...then the sales fell?
His math checks out! Your assumption must be based on something... else... though, right?

ilmaestro said:
AngBea was excellent, imo.

Joshawott said:
His math checks out! Your assumption must be based on something... else... though, right?
Wait, I misread it. So yeah, not one volume hit 1,000 copies. Reading more into the conversation, at the moment, they hadn't even recouped their advance on Clannad or Angel Beats.

Oddly enough, the Fullmetal Alchemist movies and Mardock Scramble movies haven't sold more than 1,000 copies on blu-ray.

To be fair, the reason I avoided it was the weird character designs...those eyes.

I only have the first volume of Clannad so far, but I have Angel Beats.
AB was more of a priority since I have the Japanese Clannad discs and AB was on BD.

He's also given data on their best and some of their worst BD sellers

1. AKIRACollector's Edition Steelbook: 15,000
2. Evangelion 1.11: 10,000
3. AKIRA standard version BD: 9,023
4. Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn (Released by Anchorbay Label, but acquired and marketed by MangaUK): 7,500
5. Afro Samurai Season 1: 6,250
6. Devil May Cry: 4,821

And those Manga BDs that have sold less than 1,000 units to date? Angel Beats, Sengoku Basara Season 1, MArdock Scramble, Fullmetal Alchemist Movie 1 and MOvie 2, XAMD Part 1. There's about another 15 titles on this list that I won't name, but to be fair some of them have been out for less than several months, so they don't really count. >JM

I'm quite surprised to see Fullmetal Alchemist sell so low. Fair enough with Conqueror of Shamballa (did any of us think it was a good idea?) but Sacred Star of Milos? It's disappointing that Mardock Scramble sold so low as it's absolutely brilliant - not sure why that is. Although I wonder whether they meant both of the currently released films combined, or just one of them.

In other news, I just saw this on Tumblr:
tumblr_mqpqso8t9G1s0gfclo1_500.jpg

Brilliant.

GolGotha said:

I find myself more curious as to how it performed in the USA, what with its loose depictions of gun control to a post-Columbine, post-Virginia Tech, post-Sandy Hook audience.

The US release pre-dates Sandy Hook quite substantially, but it's a fair point. I know Zac Berschy of ANN tore apart C3-bu for similar reasons.

Joshawott said:
GolGotha said:
*Raises hand* Admittedly, I haven't bought this one yet. Didn't want to drop down £25 on a blind-buy. Is it worth it?

I personally absolutely love it. Admittedly I do really enjoy Key stuff, though I actually didn't like Clannad. Angel Beats for me has a great blend of comedy and drama, some would say melodrama, but I enjoy it: it's big, it's emotional. I didn't buy the Bluray because I didn't have a PS3 at the time, but did buy the DVD of course.

Yakumo said:
GolGotha said:

I find myself more curious as to how it performed in the USA, what with its loose depictions of gun control to a post-Columbine, post-Virginia Tech, post-Sandy Hook audience.

It was released long before Sandy Hook, wasn't it? And I think the fact that you mention such a list of infamous shootings only highlights how little such things have on the minds of people in the long run. Has there been a decrease in the number of gun laden mediums since the likes of Columbine? No. Because for one thing things like books, movies, games, tv, music, anime, etc. have very little effect on these things and people that try to blame it are really just looking for something to pin the blame on (you know, other than the actual guns or anything). And secondly, even if people did turn away from forms of media where firearms are in regular use they only do it for a short while and soon society seems to forget about the whole incident in the first place...until it happens again. If there was any real widespread moral consciousness about the issue then they would've tried their hardest after the first incident to ensure that such a thing never happened again.

I once gave myself a challenge: Play "Ninja Gaiden 3: Razor's Edge", my first 18+ rated game and see if I want to cut people to pieces afterwards, as an experiment.
Did I cut any people up? Nope.

Point proven.

Back