General anime thoughts/discussion thread.

ilmaestro

State Alchemist
Really, at this stage, you might as well start with 00. Other obvious option is the compilation movie trilogy of First.
 

Vashdaman

Za Warudo
Is it down to a difference in how criminals are perceived? The West tends to glorify people like Bonnie and Clyde, Al Capone, etc. but is Japan just less keen on doing this, do they actually prefer that their criminals remain viewed as just that?
In some ways you'd think it'd be the opposite, since the Yakuza are still almost allowed to exist legally in Japan and with little interference. The Yakuza video games also have a very romantic take on the Yakuza, nothing like the swaggering thugs they no doubt are in reality. Though the first Japanese Yakuza movies I saw were a few of Kinji Fukasaku's, and they were relentlessly brutal, often depicting the characters (sometimes even the protagonist) rape women.
 

Professor Irony

CYBER FUNKER
Moderator
If I had to hazard a guess, my impression is that the anime watching audience in Japan either isn't interested, or is perceived to be not interested enough, in a series about the yakuza for one to exist. If you think about it, the number of police procedural or detective anime that don't rely on some sort of fantasy hook is extremely small, so I can only assume that the market for 'realistic' crime anime is too niche for a cautious industry to really explore it.

Perhaps the feeling is just that creating an animated crime show wouldn't allow for anything that couldn't be covered in (more reliably bankable?) live-action. Take the barking-mad shoot-em-up Seibu Keisatsu for example. Much as I think an animated version would be a great project for Takeshi Koike, the show is about one step away from being a cartoon already.
 

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
Most I've seen is Nisekoi, which is getting an anime later this year. Both of the two central characters come from mafia families, but they're played as being entirely humourous in their devotion to their heirs (like making Valentine's chocolates).
 

Ath

Pokémon Master
I do like it when we get anime that features more adult main characters, you do get a bit sick of high school after a while :p I think that's one reason why I liked Jormungand so much, I found a series about professionals being professional to be very appealing.
 

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
One thing I always wonder is, when I'm an adult in my 30s+, how will I feel about all these high school shows? Sure, I'm in my 20s now, but school is a recent memory.

Also, AniplexUSA just posted up pictures of the import Madoka movies 1-2 release:



So beautiful. Glad I have this baby on pre-order.
 

Y-San

Shinki
I think the problem with high school shows isn't the setting but the fact that most of the shows using high school as a setting also fall into the Slice of Life genre and in recent years that has been an abundance of SOL shows, especially of those set in high school.

Though I try to avoid it, I'm now watching 3(arguably 4) SOL shows this season of which 2 (arguably 3) are set in High School, out of 6 shows in total.
 

Rosencrantz

Dragon Knight
Lawrence said:
I think the problem with high school shows isn't the setting but the fact that most of the shows using high school as a setting also fall into the Slice of Life genre and in recent years that has been an abundance of SOL shows, especially of those set in high school.

Though I try to avoid it, I'm now watching 3(arguably 4) SOL shows this season of which 2 (arguably 3) are set in High School, out of 6 shows in total.
They've definitely fallen into a rut so to speak with concepts, playing it safe essentially.
 

20thCenturyBoy

Thousand Master
Rosencrantz said:
Lawrence said:
I think the problem with high school shows isn't the setting but the fact that most of the shows using high school as a setting also fall into the Slice of Life genre and in recent years that has been an abundance of SOL shows, especially of those set in high school.

Though I try to avoid it, I'm now watching 3(arguably 4) SOL shows this season of which 2 (arguably 3) are set in High School, out of 6 shows in total.
They've definitely fallen into a rut so to speak with concepts, playing it safe essentially.
It's just laziness and playing it safe, as you said. I'd love for something a bit more serious and a bit more adult/mature, for lack of a better term. But the fact is that the high school setting is seemingly what the majority of Japanese fans want to watch, and I imagine that most of the demographic are in high school. However, with their ageing population you have to wonder if that means we're going to see a difference in direction in about 10 years time? Or are we simply going to have the same high school settings and the fans will be more like overgrown children; people in their 30s but still pining for the days of high school? Maybe that's part of the problem, though. These shows are created by and for people who didn't have a an 'ideal' childhood or high school experience, and are using these shows as a way of rectifying that, to live it out again. I imagine we've all been guilty of that at one point or another (I know I have). I mean, art is often used as a form of escapism, you want to live your life vicariously through these shows, so it's not an unreasonable thing to suggest.
 
One thing about the perception of crime and criminality (Sounds like a Blackadder 3 title) in Eastern cultures that I picked up is that there's a greater need for justice to be served. That might make entertainment glorifying genuine criminals a little harder to sell than it is in the West.

I remember Police Story, where Jackie Chan plays a cop who fights corruption and organised crime, and who finds it impossible to do so from within the system. In the end he has to take the law into his own hands, and become a vigilante. The end of that film had to be specifically shot again for Hong Kong audiences, where after having taken down the villains, Jackie Chan's character is seen being taken away in handcuffs, a reminder that straying outside the law has its consequences.
 

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
-Danielle- said:
Those Madoka movies look purdy. I guess I'd have to see the series first though :p
Actually, these two movies are a recap of the series. So you can just jump in and watch these.
 

Vashdaman

Za Warudo
However, with their ageing population you have to wonder if that means we're going to see a difference in direction in about 10 years time? Or are we simply going to have the same high school settings and the fans will be more like overgrown children; people in their 30s but still pining for the days of high school?
I'm starting to doubt if the high school thing will ever give way. Still worth hoping though.
 

ilmaestro

State Alchemist
If we are prepared to accent Shounen Jump series that feature the mafia in some way, Hitman Reborn is the obvious recent starting point.

Joshawott said:
One thing I always wonder is, when I'm an adult in my 30s+, how will I feel about all these high school shows? Sure, I'm in my 20s now, but school is a recent memory.
I'm in my 30s (just) and also have the Madoka movies on their way soon... I don't care!
 

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
ilmaestro said:
If we are prepared to accent Shounen Jump series that feature the mafia in some way, Hitman Reborn is the obvious recent starting point.

Joshawott said:
One thing I always wonder is, when I'm an adult in my 30s+, how will I feel about all these high school shows? Sure, I'm in my 20s now, but school is a recent memory.
I'm in my 30s (just) and also have the Madoka movies on their way soon... I don't care!
Fair enough.

My Madoka movies were dispatched this morning. Squee!
 

Rui

Karamatsu Boy
Administrator
I can also confirm that being a dignified 30+ adult does not diminish the traumatic memories from those school years in the slightest. I'm sure that those who enjoyed their time in the education system have a strong (and more positive) sense of nostalgia as well, even after reaching this advanced age.

And my Madoka Magica movies have shipped today too, while we're all confessing :)

R
 

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
Rui said:
I can also confirm that being a dignified 30+ adult does not diminish the traumatic memories from those school years in the slightest.
Ah feck...guess I gotta to go booze for that.

And my Madoka Magica movies have shipped today too, while we're all confessing :)

R
I'm really torn about whether to show the movies to my Mum or not because well...she cried at the end of Skyfall and Despicable Me 2...but Madoka is just so amazing.
 

ilmaestro

State Alchemist
They were both emotional movies!

I actually didn't think my Madoka movies had shipped yet as I thought they were in an order with something coming out on the 27th, but I just noticed Amazon shipped most of the order on Wednesday and I might have them later today. :s
 
Top