General anime thoughts/discussion thread.

Animefreak17

Godhand
ok i was watching dragon ball kai on tv the other day and to be honest, it was crap, before you say anything let me explain why its crap

1 the background music is awful, yes i gathered its not thee legendary Bruce Faulconer its the original japanese background but if i was to have watched dragon ball z with the original japanese background music then i dont think id be a dragon ball z fan as much as i am today,

2 the animation looks like it was taken from the original show and looks like it had the colours filtered,

3 some of the new voices for the characters sound crap * again im getting old * freiza sounds more of a old lady then he did in the original, and gohans voice sounds like a teenager but gohans only 5-7

Ath

Pokémon Master
animefreak17 said:
ok i was watching dragon ball kai on tv the other day and to be honest, it was crap, before you say anything let me explain why its crap

1 the background music is awful, yes i gathered its not thee legendary Bruce Faulconer its the original japanese background but if i was to have watched dragon ball z with the original japanese background music then i dont think id be a dragon ball z fan as much as i am today,

2 the animation looks like it was taken from the original show and looks like it had the colours filtered,

3 some of the new voices for the characters sound crap * again im getting old * freiza sounds more of a old lady then he did in the original, and gohans voice sounds like a teenager but gohans only 5-7
The problem with Kai's current music is that it originally had a brand new score composed just for it. However, evidence mounted that the composer, Kenji Yamamoto (no not this one, the other one) had plagiarised other musician's works so Toei had to remove his entire score. Since this all came out around the end of Kai's run in Japan, only the last couple of TV episodes were affected on the original broadcast run, and the first batch of Funi releases still had the Yamamoto music. Toei's solution was to crowbar in Shunsuke Kikuchi's original DBZ score, which was incredibly problematic. While it worked brilliantly in DBZ (I always thought his music gave a cool Shaw Brothers atmosphere to the series), it clashes HORRIBLY with the faster editing of Kai, and they seem to only have a limited pool of usable Kikuchi music which means the music choices can be very bad.

Also the animation in most cases WAS taken from the original show :p You'll get the occasional redrawn scene however and they are very noticeable. Honestly? The only reason I watch Kai is for the new Funimation dub, it's great hearing a more faithful rendition of the series with one of the casts I grew up watching. Speaking of which, I wonder what ever became of that oft-rumoured Ocean dub of Kai? I was expecting Kix to air that version but I guess it's up to Canada now...

Animefreak17

Godhand
you have to emit Bruce Faulconer is a legend, iv heard the other music for kai, i think its the one your talking about, the ginys sentai song and freizas new theme, ill say i liked them

Ath

Pokémon Master
Having grown up watching DBZ on Toonami, I've been exposed to a load of different musical scores from it :p I'm fond of elements of all of them, from Shuki Levi's otherworldly style stuff for the Rock the Dragon era, to Bruce Faulconer's trippy synth work, Shunsuke Kikuchi's original orchestral stuff and yes...even the recycled Mega Man music from the later Ocean Dub :p

So on the subject of composers, does anyone have any favourite anime composers? Lately I've been trying to pay more attention to the people responsible for composing scores. Michiru Oshima I keep an ear out for thanks to her work with FMA and Blast of Tempest, whilst lately Hiroyuki Sawano's music has caught my attention with Blue Exorcist, Guilty Crown and Attack on Titan (can't wait to see what he does with Monolith Soft's X!).

PandoraHane

Vampire Ninja
I know it's an obvious answer but I'm a huge Yuki Kajiura fan. It also helps that quite a lot of manga I really love got her treatment when animated (Tsubasa and PH? It's fate really.). She has such a distinctive style that really brings out the emotion of the series. A few of her pieces, such as Hear Our Prayer and Alone, reduce me to tears every time I listen to them. I think she really pays close attention to the series she is composing for and matches her music to it perfectly.

Dan

Thousand Master
animefreak17 said:

I really liked Kai, in fact I liked that they used the really dramatic music from the original a lot because it added to the drama of the scenes. I also like both versions of Gohan (Funi Original and Kai). You've probably heard a voice i haven't though, maybe the ocean dub? I have to admit though that Kai was my first viewing of DBZ so that could explain a lot of my thoughts and why I am struggling to get through the original.

Shiroi Hane

Dragon Knight
I do love Kajiura. Her music that is, I believe the lady herself can be rather.. odd :p

I have other soundtracks that I love, but none that I've bought purely because of the artist. I'm not sure I even have two from different shows that have the same composer other than Kajiura.

Other artists I have recognised by their work though, include Kenji Kawaii, Yasuhiro Misawa and Satoru Kousaki.

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
Jerome revealed on Facebook that across all four volumes, Clannad only sold 2,909 copies. He states that that's less than 1,000 per volume, so I assume that at least one of the volumes must have sold over 1,000 units...then the sales fell?

Professor Irony

CYBER FUNKER
Much as I am a little surprised at just how low the numbers are, they were a couple of years late to the party - it's probably not to be wondered at.

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
GolGotha said:
He just stated that Angel Beats Blu-ray has sold 933 copies since June 2012.
*Raises hand* Admittedly, I haven't bought this one yet. Didn't want to drop down £25 on a blind-buy. Is it worth it?

GolGotha

Death Scythe
I haven't see it, but I know Ath has.

Amazon rates it as 4.5/5 stars and MAL rates it as 8.58/10.
It's also number 62 on the MAL top anime chart.

PandoraHane

Vampire Ninja
I enjoy Angel Beats. It's a fun watch even if it could have used more character development and more episodes. Visually lovely without a doubt. I think it's worth a watch at least.

Y-San

Shinki
GolGotha said:
I haven't see it, but I know Ath has.

Amazon rates it as 4.5/5 stars and MAL rates it as 8.58/10.
It's also number 62 on the MAL top anime chart.
MAL's rating system is kinda flawed though, considering its user base.

I think I seen like one episode but was kinda put off by all the melodrama and the boring quiet girl that the MC unsurprisingly took an interest in because she was...something, I guess?

I did consider buying the BD and giving it a second chance, since it's on bluray but I think now and forever more, it will only be seen as an excessive purchase in my eyes, so I doubt I'll ever buy it.

ilmaestro

State Alchemist
AngBea was excellent, imo.

Joshawott said:
Jerome revealed on Facebook that across all four volumes, Clannad only sold 2,909 copies. He states that that's less than 1,000 per volume, so I assume that at least one of the volumes must have sold over 1,000 units...then the sales fell?
His math checks out! Your assumption must be based on something... else... though, right?

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
ilmaestro said:
AngBea was excellent, imo.

Joshawott said:
His math checks out! Your assumption must be based on something... else... though, right?
Wait, I misread it. So yeah, not one volume hit 1,000 copies. Reading more into the conversation, at the moment, they hadn't even recouped their advance on Clannad or Angel Beats.

Oddly enough, the Fullmetal Alchemist movies and Mardock Scramble movies haven't sold more than 1,000 copies on blu-ray.

To be fair, the reason I avoided it was the weird character designs...those eyes.

Shiroi Hane

Dragon Knight
I only have the first volume of Clannad so far, but I have Angel Beats.
AB was more of a priority since I have the Japanese Clannad discs and AB was on BD.

He's also given data on their best and some of their worst BD sellers

1. AKIRACollector's Edition Steelbook: 15,000
2. Evangelion 1.11: 10,000
3. AKIRA standard version BD: 9,023
4. Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn (Released by Anchorbay Label, but acquired and marketed by MangaUK): 7,500
5. Afro Samurai Season 1: 6,250
6. Devil May Cry: 4,821
And those Manga BDs that have sold less than 1,000 units to date? Angel Beats, Sengoku Basara Season 1, MArdock Scramble, Fullmetal Alchemist Movie 1 and MOvie 2, XAMD Part 1. There's about another 15 titles on this list that I won't name, but to be fair some of them have been out for less than several months, so they don't really count. >JM

Joshawott

Monsieur Monster
AUKN Staff
I'm quite surprised to see Fullmetal Alchemist sell so low. Fair enough with Conqueror of Shamballa (did any of us think it was a good idea?) but Sacred Star of Milos? It's disappointing that Mardock Scramble sold so low as it's absolutely brilliant - not sure why that is. Although I wonder whether they meant both of the currently released films combined, or just one of them.

In other news, I just saw this on Tumblr:

Brilliant.