General anime thoughts/discussion thread.

Baccano is available subbed on Funimation's youtube channel, if you want to sample it before you buy. I highly recommend it though, I really enjoyed it.

Now that Durarara has a sequel, I hope that they will consider making a sequel for Baccano....

I can never decide which I prefer out of Baccano and Durarara - I think Baccano probably has the stronger characters and better self-contained story, but Durarara, when you take it in as a whole probably feels smarter and a lot more ambitious. I definitely found Durarara harder to properly 'get', but when it clicks, it's a wonderful thing, and some of the stuff it does around telling the same event from multiple viewpoints is properly genius.

For me, Baccano all the way. For anyone who hasn't seen both, I highly recommend you watch Baccano first, there's a scene in Durarara you won't "get" if you haven't seen Baccano. (A scene that made me yelp with excitement so loud it woke the dog).

Although I haven't seen Durarara X2 so maybe I'll change my mind once the dub materializes, if X2 is what you are referring to when "take it in as a whole".

GolGotha said:
Baccano is available subbed on Funimation's youtube channel, if you want to sample it before you buy. I highly recommend it though, I really enjoyed it.
I'd suggest watching the English dub if you do decide to watch it though, as the proper accents for the setting really lend a lot to it.

NoSurprises said:
GolGotha said:
I'd suggest watching the English dub if you do decide to watch it though, as the proper accents for the setting really lend a lot to it.

Yes, the English dub is very good but annoyingly Funimation only have the second episode dubbed on youtube...so, I couldn't exactly recommend that lol

GolGotha said:
NoSurprises said:
GolGotha said:

Yes, the English dub is very good but annoyingly Funimation only have the second episode dubbed on youtube...so, I couldn't exactly recommend that lol
Sorry! I didn't quite mean what you were suggesting was wrong in any way! I think I just phrased it badly.

But yeah, as seemingly most people here agree, you can't really go wrong with either show. I'll have a go at watching the new series of Durarara at some point and report back if it's worth watching after the first series.

Baccano on BD from Anime Ltd is just over a month away (if the dates don't change). The 32.99 pre-orders that are available at the moment are a bargain IMHO. I managed to pre-order from Amazon when it was at £32.44. If you haven't seen either I'd advocate holding out for the month until the BD is out to watch Baccano and then watching Durarara after. Definitely one of my all time favs. The "tails off near then end" talk usually relates to the last 3 episodes which are actually specials but normally ship with the series itself. The series itself - excellent. The 3 specials - a nice addition.

IIRC isn't Baccano only 12 episodes? Unless its an LE, that seems a little pricey for an old show. Gurren Lagann, also from Anime Ltd, was only £40 for 27 episodes.

IncendiaryLemon said:
IIRC isn't Baccano only 12 episodes? Unless its an LE, that seems a little pricey for an old show. Gurren Lagann, also from Anime Ltd, was only £40 for 27 episodes.
It's 16 episodes FYI. It's being released as a collectors edition in June, although we don't know yet exactly what will be included.
Just to echo the thoughts of other here, the show is really flippin' good and the dub is great. It's definitely worth your time and money.

Yep 13 episodes + 3 specials 400 minute runtime. Manga often price the same for a 12 episode 300 minute show so you are getting an extra 33% runtime plus nice packaging.

msgeek said:
Baccano on BD from Anime Ltd is just over a month away (if the dates don't change). The 32.99 pre-orders that are available at the moment are a bargain IMHO. I managed to pre-order from Amazon when it was at £32.44. If you haven't seen either I'd advocate holding out for the month until the BD is out to watch Baccano and then watching Durarara after. Definitely one of my all time favs. The "tails off near then end" talk usually relates to the last 3 episodes which are actually specials but normally ship with the series itself. The series itself - excellent. The 3 specials - a nice addition.

I really liked the 3 extra episodes, gave some time to a couple of characters that didn't really get enough attention in the main story.

People's reactions to the Shirobako dakimakura covers have disturbed me far more than the covers themselves ever could.

vashdaman said:
With all the great inspirational shonen sports anime that exist for nearly every sport imaginable, how is Japan not number one in the world for all those sports? I'll never understand how, for example, Andy Murray can beat a tennis player that was raised on Prince of Tennis. It almost has me thinking that untold amounts of belief, spirit, perseverance, and friendship just isn't enough...
Check out Kei Nishikori. Even beat Murray last time they played.

Ah, I have actually seen him play before, he is good. He also looks he's come straight out of a manga, if that's not racist of me to say.

I was pondering this the other day (as you do) - what is the actual 'purpose' of a Dakimakura, other than to just look nice? Like do you hug it, or what?

I'm totally just opening a can of worms here, aren't I...?

Lawrence said:
Lutga said:
I was pondering this the other day (as you do) - what is the actual 'purpose' of a Dakimakura, other than to just look nice? Like do you hug it, or what?

I'm totally just opening a can of worms here, aren't I...?

http://seventhstyle.com/2013/12/13/why- ... eir-waifu/ - If in doubt, ask Seventhstyle! (The link isn't that bad but probably better viewed in private, fyi).

The purpose of the dakimakura, like any other object, is defined by the owner though, so I don't think you could employ a 'one size fits all' mentality here. From what I've seen though, most people tend to hang them up or use as a full sized body pillow. Despite their external nature, very rarely do they seem to be utilised in a lewd way - if that's what you're wondering?

Alternatively, you could just go swimming.

I have heard that large pillows like that are good for posture when sleeping and could of sworn somewhere on this board someone mentioned they act like a hot water bottle.

That article however suggests that dakimakura are way too expensive to actually risk using as a pillow cover. Most people I've seen have them use them as wall hangings/tapestries. It's not surprising that there's confusion when they don't really seem to be used as you'd imagine (be that pillow case or in a lewd manner (tho I doubt people would post about that in general))

I myself bought a smaller cushion/pillow with an illustration a while back http://myfigurecollection.net/item/113299. It sits at the bottom of my bed during the day and then gets in the way at night so I have to shift it. The illustration is nice, and it's something a bit more interesting that a poster, but serves no real purpose I guess. Probably the equivalent of covering my bed with dozens of plushies.

I thought the guy in the video looked familiar, someone linked his video of him licking his figures to clean them, both gross and amusing as it's clear the Pvc taste is close to making him throw up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rosencrantz said:
That article however suggests that dakimakura are way too expensive to actually risk using as a pillow cover.
I'm trying desperately not to imagine what "risks" there would possibly be to a pillow cover.

Never ask seventhstyle anything tbh.

ayase said:
Rosencrantz said:
That article however suggests that dakimakura are way too expensive to actually risk using as a pillow cover.
I'm trying desperately not to imagine what "risks" there would possibly be to a pillow cover.
lolled p.hard here.

Back