General anime thoughts/discussion thread.

To quote Steven Fry - If you're offended, then so ******* what? As long as whatever's offending you isn't actively harming anyone else, or an animal, then get the **** over yourself.

Lutga said:
So there are officially Shirobako 'hug' pillows now. > http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... -previewed

I always find ones like this a bit uneasy because they're so out of character for how the person is in the show, it just a bit... tasteless, you know?
My first reaction to seeing them on Twitter the other day was "No, stop that - you have deadlines to meet".

ayase said:
Lawrence said:
Lutga said:
So there are officially Shirobako 'hug' pillows now. > http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2 ... -previewed

I always find ones like this a bit uneasy because they're so out of character for how the person is in the show, it just a bit... tasteless, you know?
If you think that's bad, you should see what's printed at Comiket :3
But really, I don't think they are that far off the mark. Aoi seems like more of a bottom than a top.
I haven't personally seen Shirobako, but does the show offer any indication of how the characters would be in bed? Is it ever possible to know, given that people can lead very different private to public lives?
The series never really touches on the personal lives of any of the characters aside from the odd reference to one character being divorced. However, if we use how the characters behave in their public lives as a basis, I don't think these pillows would be too out of character.

At first I thought that the pillow cover for Yano shown her as a submissive; which I don't see her being considering the way she is in the anime, but when you put both sides together, it comes across as her being a tease, which I think actually suits her out-of-the-bedroom personality quite well; with her ultimately being in control, but in not in a "hands-on", demanding way.

tumblr_nkx33mBzcv1tqsu3ro1_540.png

...why the ever-living heck am I trying to figure out how animated characters would behave in bed?

Joshawott said:
...why the ever-living heck am I trying to figure out how animated characters would behave in bed?
I think you know the answer to that question. Besides, as pass-times go there are far worse.

And you needn't worry Lawrence, I don't have enough pity left for other people.

Is anyone looking forward to Jitsu Wa Watashi Wa? I'm kinda intrigued, although find it fascinating how much the anime seems to have taken liberties with the manga designs:

Compare:

jitsu_wa_1_6397.jpg
jitsu-wa-watashi-wa-l0.jpg

With:

85d7a4c2792331efdd7fbd21979a2b491426929308_full.jpg

Professor Irony said:
Apparently Miyazaki wanted to make an adaptation of Parasyte during the 1990s. I may not be the series's biggest fan, but I'd have paid good money to see that.

I'm trying to imagine what that would look like - how dark would he have made it? That said, it fits in very well with some of the eco themes / humans vs. nature in Ghibli's films.

I hope 3.0+1/4.44/Whatever they call it in the west gets a speedier release. Hell, I'm pretty sure it would be next to impossible to mess up a release that badly again. It's been 3 years since 3.33 came out. 3 years. The entire Hobbit trilogy has been an gone in the time it's taken. All of the Phase 2 Marvel films will have come out in the time it's taken. Hell, I will have started and finished college in the time it's taken. I refuse to believe they could possibly make the same mistakes twice.

Man am I pissed off. I won on a Berserk boxset last week and it still hasn't arrived. I won it on a Wednesday and it took until the Friday for him to ship it yet it's been almost a week and it still hasn't arrived. Hell, I'm not even convinced he has shipped it. He only marked it as dispatched when I messaged him asking him when he sent it and he replied 'Oh yeah, I did it today'. I've flagged it up to eBay but I have to wait until May 1st for him to get back to me and resolve the issue himself. Like Christ, what is even the point of messing people around on eBay? You know that when people don't get their item you're going to be forced to refund the money anyway so all it does is waste everyone's time. Nothing is achieved.

In this week's random anime merchandise... Because razors are obviously the first thing you think of when you think of Evangelion.

Seriously, Khara must be laughing their arses off all the way to the bank...

7747fbc78098e4517b7db5f1a4c332721344894448_full.jpg

(poor Shinji is obviously too young to shave so doesn't even get a look in...)

Well, not exactly this week, these originally came out a few years ago, possibly for the first rebuild movie. If I remember correctly, you could buy stands for the razors as well, which featured a mini figure of a character so it looked like they were holding up the razor?

Edit: Found a youtube video, apologies for the link. I don't know how to embed a video on here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWkRFsVwOkQ

Would anyone here recommend Durarara? I noticed the collectors edition going fairly cheap on Amazon and I've amassed enough gift certificates via Swagbucks to get it for £10. Is it worth it for that? Also is this release marred by any of the issues that Anime Ltd Collectors Editions tend to have? Nothing against them or anything, but I've never purchased a CE from them however whenever they release a CE I tend to see them putting out replacement sets a lot.

IncendiaryLemon said:
Would anyone here recommend Durarara? I noticed the collectors edition going fairly cheap on Amazon and I've amassed enough gift certificates via Swagbucks to get it for £10. Is it worth it for that? Also is this release marred by any of the issues that Anime Ltd Collectors Editions tend to have? Nothing against them or anything, but I've never purchased a CE from them however whenever they release a CE I tend to see them putting out replacement sets a lot.
Durarara is a steal at £10, however the collectors edition does have issues such as mistimed subtitles and a complete lack of signs. Anime Limited are in the process of fixing these though and if you hurry you should still be eligible for the replacement discs.

Also, Durarara is on Crunchyroll and there is a post in this forum somewhere filled with 48 hour codes if you would like to sample it legally.

Buzzkillington said:
IncendiaryLemon said:
Durarara is a steal at £10, however the collectors edition does have issues such as mistimed subtitles and a complete lack of signs. Anime Limited are in the process of fixing these though and if you hurry you should still be eligible for the replacement discs.

Also, Durarara is on Crunchyroll and there is a post in this forum somewhere filled with 48 hour codes if you would like to sample it legally.

Ah, I see. If I do get it, I'll definitely look into the replacement scheme. Also, I think I will check out the first episode on CR, thanks for the suggestion.

IncendiaryLemon said:
If you've watched/enjoyed Baccano, it's very similar. The cast is massive and there's a lot going on.

General consensus (myself included) is the first half of the show is fantastic, it builds to a pretty amazing climax midway, but it kinda runs out of steam after that and loses its way towards the end. There's a second season too apparently, though I've not been following it much, so couldn't tell you if that's worth watching too.

Can't say I've seen Baccano, it's been on my list of stuff to watch for a while but I haven't gotten around to it. Also not great to hear that the quality dips after the half way mark but if half of it's great then it's probably still worth watching. Reminds me of Soul Eater, although that had the issue much worse as ran out of steam about 25 episodes into a 52 episode show...

IncendiaryLemon said:
Can't say I've seen Baccano, it's been on my list of stuff to watch for a while but I haven't gotten around to it. Also not great to hear that the quality dips after the half way mark but if half of it's great then it's probably still worth watching. Reminds me of Soul Eater, although that had the issue much worse as ran out of steam about 25 episodes into a 52 episode show...
Maybe I'm underselling it, it really was a good series, just the second half doesn't quite live up to the first.

You should totally get on Baccano too if you enjoy any part of Durarara. It can be a little difficult to follow as it skips all over the place and it gets a bit gory at times depending on your tolerance of that kind of thing, but the 1930's setting and the madness of it all made it one of my favorites.

NoSurprises said:
IncendiaryLemon said:
Maybe I'm underselling it, it really was a good series, just the second half doesn't quite live up to the first.

You should totally get on Baccano too if you enjoy any part of Durarara. It can be a little difficult to follow as it skips all over the place and it gets a bit gory at times depending on your tolerance of that kind of thing, but the 1930's setting and the madness of it all made it one of my favorites.

I'd definitely recommend Baccano too. Amazing show. It is kinda hard to follow at first but it comes around and makes sense. The more you watch the more you piece together. Kinda like how Pulp Fiction told its story. Glad to hear Durarara is along the same lines as I haven't seen it yet and bought the Limited Edition due to its unbelievable drop in price.

Back