Geneon in turmoil after deal with ADV Films is canceled

DaNiMe-sama said:
There are polls on AnimeNewsNetwork and AnimeOnDVD, about Geneon, so I think completing them will be a good help to the industry;
Yo got to take these polls with a pinch (or metric ton) of salt especially if you look at some of the other polls :p
For the lad or lass who was worried about Ultimate Hellsing don't worry Hugh Davies from ADV gave the impression at Amecon the license was being fought over by all the UK distributors (and even Sony were interested), doubt such a lucratrive title will be left around untouched for long.
While over fussed about this. Don't think it's good for the industry or the fans, but there are few titles that i was really looking forward to, and few of their past titles appeal (and i've got most of them already).

hopeful_monster said:
DaNiMe-sama said:
There are polls on AnimeNewsNetwork and AnimeOnDVD, about Geneon, so I think completing them will be a good help to the industry;
Yo got to take these polls with a pinch (or metric ton) of salt especially if you look at some of the other polls :p
For the lad or lass who was worried about Ultimate Hellsing don't worry Hugh Davies from ADV gave the impression at Amecon the license was being fought over by all the UK distributors (and even Sony were interested), doubt such a lucratrive title will be left around untouched for long.
While over fussed about this. Don't think it's good for the industry or the fans, but there are few titles that i was really looking forward to, and few of their past titles appeal (and i've got most of them already).

Hellsing Ultimate is a Gonzo title, so they'll be licensing directly from Japan rather than through Geneon. The question is whether they'll be a dub for episodes 4+. Having said that I'm sure the remaining R1 distributors will be fighting for that license.

Why are people talking about companies fighting over licenses? Geneon still have the licenses...
Especially with Hellsing, they put money into it, so I'd expect them to hold onto it, and sell the production rights to another R1 company.

The only thing i'm worried about are releases of shows that are halfway through etc. I've not read into this whole deal but theres a few shows that i'm keeping my eye on, i was hoping they would be released here but im uncertain now.

Will this impact shows already dubbed etc being released in the UK? For example Black Lagoon or Zipang? I'm not going to whip out my credit card and panic buy every series i like. Theres just no clear cut answer at the moment, which is the one thing that is confusing me the most.

I think this is being interpreted incorrectly This letter is to Geneon's US retailers not for the general consumer. It's nothing that wasn't expected by them to find out the new supply rules since the ADV deal fell through. Geneon do intend on closing shop but not until the end of the year. Any orders now will be filled while supplies last, so get them in now rather than after November. Stay tuned for further developements. :wink:

DaNiMe-sama said:
Why are people talking about companies fighting over licenses? Geneon still have the licenses...
Especially with Hellsing, they put money into it, so I'd expect them to hold onto it, and sell the production rights to another R1 company.

I agree entirely with this. However, if Geneon aren't going to be releasing their shows themselves, then someone else has to. I'm sure they will be a furious bidding among the remaining companies for the rights to be that someone.

Geneon don't have many top titles - but the ones they do have will soon reappear with someone else's logo on as well as theirs. If people come knocking for distribution rights to certain titles, Geneon will give them that right. However, Geneon will remain the master licensor. All indications point to that being the plan. The real question is though, will Geneon license new titles? At the moment no one knows the answer to that, possibly not even Geneon or Dentsu.

For a good analysis of the situation read this weeks Answerman column. He completely over reacted last time Geneon's future was raised, but his analysis seems pretty good this time.

Gawyn said:
Espy said:
So... are they having a clearance sale? :roll:
Nope. If you want any Geneon stuff you had best order/buy it now since it will be like rocking horse **** in fairly short order.

Heh, I've already ordered my Geneon list. I was just trying to lighten the mood.

Espy said:
Gawyn said:
Espy said:
So... are they having a clearance sale? :roll:
Nope. If you want any Geneon stuff you had best order/buy it now since it will be like rocking horse **** in fairly short order.

Heh, I've already ordered my Geneon list. I was just trying to lighten the mood.
Heheh. Not used to these smilies yet so I didn't see the roll-eyes :).

Well when my pay comes through on monday looks like i'll be ordering;

Tenchi Universe collection
Black Lagoon 2 + 3
Zipang(goin to wait till the last volume comes out in october)

and since ergo proxy is already being released over here i dont have to worry about that. Now, can anyone recommend a good website to buy these other than up1 :lol:

OMG, i'm gonna go & get love hina & chobits boxsets, i already have dvd 1,2 & 3, but i stoped buying the so i'm gonna buy the boxset instead.

Loli Lover said:
OMG, i'm gonna go & get love hina & chobits boxsets, i already have dvd 1,2 & 3, but i stoped buying the so i'm gonna buy the boxset instead.
Chobits already has a boxed set available in the UK so you could always get that...

Gawyn said:
Loli Lover said:
Chobits already has a boxed set available in the UK so you could always get that...

i know thats wht i'm getting that & the love hina box sets.

Awr, this is a real shame. Geneon were a huge part of the anime industry in the US. Without them, the spread of anime to the West will be severely hindered.

Oh well.. time to accelerate my Japanese learning.

Chrono Demon said:
Geneon, Did they licence Shakugan No Shana?

If so, Damn you ADV. You killed my favourite series to ever reached the Uk...

Yes, Geneon did license SnS, and it was nothing to do with ADV that it might not possibly reach the UK; I suggest you read some recent news posts on the subject.

Or maybe I misread your post.

Back