Geneon in turmoil after deal with ADV Films is canceled

DaNiMe-sama said:
Chrono Demon said:
Geneon, Did they licence Shakugan No Shana?

If so, Damn you ADV. You killed my favourite series to ever reached the Uk...

Yes, Geneon did license SnS, and it was nothing to do with ADV that it might not possibly reach the UK; I suggest you read some recent news posts on the subject.

Or maybe I misread your post.
There is still a good chance for Shana since it is one of those titles that is owned by Geneon (Japan) rather than licenced by Geneon. This is the kind of title that they are seeking to distribute via third parties at the moment so there is hope for it yet. By all accounts MVM still have announcements to make, some of which apparently concern Geneon titles and Shana (at least the TV series of) was completely dubbed so a full dub is available for UK distribution should someone wish to licence it for over here.

Gawyn said:
There is still a good chance for Shana since it is one of those titles that is owned by Geneon (Japan) rather than licenced by Geneon. This is the kind of title that they are seeking to distribute via third parties at the moment so there is hope for it yet. By all accounts MVM still have announcements to make, some of which apparently concern Geneon titles and Shana (at least the TV series of) was completely dubbed so a full dub is available for UK distribution should someone wish to licence it for over here.

I'm just worried about the OVA + artbox that Geneon were planning. :(

DaNiMe-sama said:
Gawyn said:

Plus the film, and the second season -_- I hope Funi get hold of the rest, and buy the rights off them for the first season. But thats wishful thinking =P

Chrono Demon said:
DaNiMe-sama said:
Gawyn said:

Plus the film, and the second season -_- I hope Funi get hold of the rest, and buy the rights off them for the first season. But thats wishful thinking =P
The licence itself will (likely) not be up for grabs. The best that most companies could/should hope for are the distribution and production rights but Geneon will remain the master licence holder.

I've liked most of Pioneer's... sorry, I mean Geneon's titles, but I've never like the company. In fact I've found a lot of recent Geneon titles to be quite sucky(especially the recent Tenchi releases, which have been awful), so I don't think many tears will be shed by me if they go under! :roll:

I've just realised NO Rozen Maiden for me.

Which is a devastating blow to me, due to me thinking about buying it all day during school. >_>

Has Genoen REALLY gone down hill?!

Oh plus all you people saying about getting love hina quickly, I shouldn't worry its a funimation lincese so...

Otaku-san said:

What are you actually asking here?

Otaku-san said:
Oh plus all you people saying about getting love hina quickly, I shouldn't worry its a funimation lincese so...

Why should people be worried anyway? It was originally a Bandai license, the soundtrack was the only thing Geneon was involved with in the Love Hina franchise.

On a side note; I really hope another company comes along to release soundtracks and all the things Geneon used to release in their music department, or at least distributors start including more CD's in their releases (ala Witchblade/FMA/Haruhi).

Otaku-san said:

Geneon have ceased distribution of DVDs. They still own the master licences for a number of titles which may eventually lead to distribution of DVDs by another distributor. Simply put Geneon currently exists solely as a licence-holder.

melonpan said:
Otaku-san said:

What are you actually asking here?

Otaku-san said:

Why should people be worried anyway? It was originally a Bandai license, the soundtrack was the only thing Geneon was involved with in the Love Hina franchise.

On a side note; I really hope another company comes along to release soundtracks and all the things Geneon used to release in their music department, or at least distributors start including more CD's in their releases (ala Witchblade/FMA/Haruhi).

Sorry, I should of been more clearer that Lelouch, metioned about getting love hina, but I didn't know how to quote.
Though mind you, I honstley thought that the product was of geneon.

Plus there is a Love Hina Again (3ep mind) through Bandai

This really bugged as I was in the middle of buying Karin, Black Lagoon and Rozen Maiden from the US. The fist I knew about it was stumbling across something in a forum, then when I checked all my preorders for Geneon stuff they had been cancelled. So now is the wait to see if they get someone to finish them off or whether there are going to be UK releases.

Dracos said:
Oh must go and find when second raid is due out then.
Its not anywhere, It being licensed is totally totally different from being released, The chances of TSR getting released are quite slim.

You were talking about Full Metal Panic!: The Second Raid Right?, Not The Second Barrage of Black Lagoon

Oops I did mean Black Lagoon Second barrage, I get two things in my head and always pick the wrong one. Already got Full Metal Panic TSR. As I buy pretty much all my stuff direct from the US I really have no idea of what is UK licensed or released.

It's a shame that the geneon situation has got where it has now. Most places online now have quite a few excellent titles out of stock (Fushigi Yugi to name one) and it's a definite blow to the market.

Hopefully Geneon will find a way to redistribute their series, because it'd be a complete shame if some of these shows are gone forever.

Back