Geneon in turmoil after deal with ADV Films is canceled

DaNiMe-sama said:
Paul said:
there is no indication made that the company will continue to actively pursue new licenses.

That seems to be the case, although, Geneon have a lot of titles that haven't got a release yet, so if they are going to be a licensing company I'm sure they'll exist for at least all of 2008. I'm sure Dentsu won't let them not license anything, they need to make money somehow or their investment wouldn't be worth it.

EDIT: More on Kadokawa. I guess once the first Kadokawa license gets a UK release, we have contact with Kadokawa. I think that makes sense. I guess it's just establishing the relationships, which I'm sure Andrew from Beez is working extremely hard on - knowing what a gold mine Haruhi is. I hope Bandai are helping them with that, and likewise for Funimation helping Revelation get FMP:TSR. But then again I don't know what involvement US production/distribution companies have with UK distributors.

EDIT 2: Oh-ho-ho, we have Boogiepop Phantom released by ADV, that was a Rightstuf license, so we do have contact with Rightstuf, so The Third isn't totally out of the picture, I'm thinking ADV would probably license that if the chance came. So basically, we've got Revelation (probably), Beez and ADV (possibly) working on Kadokawa licenses.

The only studio you'd likely need to contact over Kadokawa titles is Kadokawa - but you'd probably need to go through Japan, like you have to for Gonzo. Bandai, don't actually own anything to do with Haruhi, same with FMP:TSR and Funi (or more to the point ADV who did the dub for that show). Kadokawa quite clearly have no serious attachment to any of the R1 distributors so, I'm not sure how having them vouch for their UK allies would help.

Noratav said:
More worringly, the head of Media Blasters has dropped some heavy hints over at AoD that Geneon may be shut down entirely.

gah! Don't say that, I was just getting hopefull again :)
Yeah, I'd read that funding report too, I really hope it doesn't stop someone bringing Guardian over to the west, as it is a seriously good bit of anime.

Mohawk52 said:
The way I read that Dentsu report is that they have withdrawn the deal instead of ADV refusing it. Though it doesn't say so, I get the feeling that perhaps Dentsu has been approached by someone else with a better distribution offer and ADV has been gosundered. Watch this space.

That's quite possible, but Geneon have already laid off their Sales and Marketing departments, so the deal was at a very advanced stage. (It was due to take effect in ten days time!).

There is one other issue though - ADV also claim that they're the ones who broke off the deal. Read the two press releases Paul linked to, they both say that they are the company that broke the deal.

Noratav said:
It's one less company to license from, but MVM will simply have to adjust. How about licensing some Kadokawa titles, Tony?

heh, just looked at the Dentsu reports, Geneon : 39 employees.
hmm, how about Tony puts in a bid to buy Geneon, MVM's first step to taking over the US market :p

Fellistowe said:
heh, just looked at the Dentsu reports, Geneon : 39 employees.
hmm, how about Tony puts in a bid to buy Geneon, MVM's first step to taking over the US market :p
yes, cuz i wqant nothing more for revolation's £15 rrp to be just a blip

Noratav said:
That's quite possible, but Geneon have already laid off their Sales and Marketing departments, so the deal was at a very advanced stage. (It was due to take effect in ten days time!).

There is one other issue though - ADV also claim that they're the ones who broke off the deal. Read the two press releases Paul linked to, they both say that they are the company that broke the deal.
If you read the Dentsu report negotiations were going through intermediaries. so nothing was signed and sealed yet. Yes Geneon has laid off their sales and marketing staff, but that doesn't matter if there is another deal from someone else. Besides it now appears that Dentsu had planned to put the bullet into Geneon at the end of the year anyway. they might have just moved that up. Also Dentsu might have found a buyer for the company and have pulled out because of that. We''ll soon find out one way, or ta'udder. :wink:

Well, I'll just add a bit of information here:

A translator (or typesetter/timer, can't remember which) guy has been given the rights to work on Nanoha and Zero no Tsukaima, which means that Geneon's licenses are still being persued. It is only a matter of time before there is confirmation that these are being produced by Geneon, but it should be out soon..
So at least we know that Geneon is going to continue with goings-on for the moment, and they are not just going to become inactive up until the end of the year when Dentsu are planning to halt their production anyway.

http://avatar.mee.nu/ah_good_news_good_news

Anime Nation said:
Wednesday September 26th, 2007

Geneon Exits American Anime Industry
Geneon USA has officially informed retailers that as of 5 PM PDT this Friday, September 28th, the company will cease all DVD production, sales, and distribution.

All Geneon USA DVD titles scheduled for release after November 11, 2007 have apparently been canceled.

http://www.animenation.net/news/index.php?id=11667

Oh dear, I think the **** just hit the fan.

R.I.P Geneon you shall be missed :cry:
I wonder what shall become of the shows they have yet to release or are half way through releasing will another company step up?

Damn it, so they are completely gone now. I'm wondering now what will happen with the Black Lagoon releases now and everything else Geneon are/where releasing after november 11th. Will they be up for grabs by other companies now?

This is a sad day for the American anime industry. It is yet to be seen how this affects the UK anime industry, either directly or indirectly, and what will happen to all of their series, be they mid-series/incomplete (Karin), or unreleased (Nanoha).

Out of all of the UK companies, MVM will be the one to watch, I can't see them suffering too badly, just expect to see more older series, and series licenced in america by Nozomi or Media Blasters being licenced in future.

Paul said:
Anime Nation said:

Geneon USA has officially informed retailers that as of 5 PM PDT this Friday, September 28th, the company will cease all DVD production, sales, and distribution.

All Geneon USA DVD titles scheduled for release after November 11, 2007 have apparently been canceled.

:eek: Thats certainly a shock. I wonder what will happen. Geneon have the likes of Akira and many other popular series/movies in they're catalogue. I wonder what will happen to MVM. Most of they're line up is from Geneon. Does this mean they'll lose those series?

As far as I can think back; this is the single worst piece of news I have ever heard - in the anime industry.

This just sucks more than anything...
I'm so shocked I don't know what to say.

Sakimori said:
Paul said:
Anime Nation said:

:eek: Thats certainly a shock. I wonder what will happen. Geneon have the likes of Akira and many other popular series/movies in they're catalogue. I wonder what will happen to MVM. Most of they're line up is from Geneon. Does this mean they'll lose those series?
This should not affect MVM's Geneon licences at all since they are licenced for UK release and do not concern Geneon US at all. All of the ones they currently own are completely dubbed and such in the US so there is little-to-no possibility that the raw materials will not become available either.

As far as titles midway through release they had yet to release the rest of Rozen Maiden.

Whatever the ramifications, it is not nice to see something like this happen. :(

Gawyn said:
Sakimori said:
Paul said:
Anime Nation said:

This should not affect MVM's Geneon licences at all since they are licenced for UK release and do not concern Geneon US at all. All of the ones they currently own are completely dubbed and such in the US so there is little-to-no possibility that the raw materials will not become available either.

As far as titles midway through release they had yet to release the rest of Rozen Maiden.

Whatever the ramifications, it is not nice to see something like this happen. :(

Ok well its nice to know I won't have to rush buy the many series by MVM origonally from Geneon which I want. But still this has thrown me quite badly. And it was seaming like such a good year as well.

EDIT: i've just realised Geneon did the Hellsing OVAs which means we won't see them here on DVD anytime soon :cry:

Espy said:
Not only has this put Geneon out of business, it's given ADV a bad image. This ain't good.

And I was just thinking "how could this possibly get worse?"
Does this mean people will boycot ADV or somthing :roll:
I hope not as last thing we need is ADV going into problems as well. That would be too much.

Fair well geneon :( If a new company was to pick up the liscenes for the shows that geneon own does that mean that shows half way through will get re-released along with the new volumes?

Back