Funimation Video Service Becomes Localised

evangelion rocks

Vampire Ninja
After a long period of maintenance to the video portal due to the One Piece incident a few weeks ago,it would seem that as of today Funimation has decided to localise it's video content to America only in order to tighten security.

This content is not available in your territory.

FUNimation® Entertainment manages a full spectrum of rights for anime series acquired from producers in Japan. These rights include broadcasting, licensing, production, home video sales and distribution, as well as internet. The rights agreed upon may vary per series or per region. If you are receiving this message, FUNimation does not have the internet rights for this series in your area.

If you believe you are currently in a territory to which FUNimation has rights, please e-mail us your current location at Webmaster[@]Funimation.com so we can investigate the discrepancy.

Thank you for your interest!

The video portal previously offered fans to sample several episodes of a series, such as Baccano, before deciding to buy or not.The service also offered the streaming of some of the latest properties in subtitle only format such as Dragonaut and the more recent Full Metal Alchemist:Brotherhood.

Allow me to extend my warmest thanks and congratulations to the retards who were behind the leaks that led to this. And also Funimation for their shocking lack of security.

I'm surprised that they weren't region locked in the first place, simply due to international copyright reasons more than anything else...

^That's fansubbers. Whilst some felt that what they have done helped improved the industry to some extent, others just seem bent on producing Fansubs.

I guess these changes are actually warranting some diversity to whether it's a good thing or bad.

Honestly, I wish they just maximize the security and still made it accessible to the world. But eh... Now I have to watch FMA... on my Fansubs. *sulks*

Chrono Mizaki said:
Honestly, I wish they just maximize the security and still made it accessible to the world. But eh... Now I have to watch FMA... on my Fansubs. *sulks*
Eh, You get it practaicly the day it comes out, you get it in HD. I think it's a Pretty good direction Funi's decided to push you in.

At this point, I've given up on Web Streaming as a viable legal method of watching shows. The UK Companies (Manga/Beez excluded for TTGL, but they realy need to go all out and match what Funi had, beat Toei up for the clasic lineup!) are too stupid to provide a service we are practaily gagging for and the US companies are too scared of our dirty forgener money to allow us in.

We're back to 2003 standards from where I'm standing.

Chrono Mizaki said:
^That's fansubbers. Whilst some felt that what they have done helped improved the industry to some extent, others just seem bent on producing Fansubs.

I guess these changes are actually warranting some diversity to whether it's a good thing or bad.

How on earth do you consider it to be the fault of fansubbers? The very existence of fansubbers have allowed us a) to start the revolution of digital distribution in anime (such as what Manga and Beez are starting to do at the moment) and b) has shown the fandom many series that would very likely not have been licensed otherwise such as Higurashi, Host Club, Haruhi, Lucky Star and Welcome to the NHK just to name a few. Those series are indistinctly Japanese and it's unlikely they would have been released was it not for the interest from the internet.

The fault is of those who compromised the servers in the first place, not those who are doing the community a service - especially the fansubbers who stop subbing once the show's been licensed, or publicly licensed anyway. In many respects fansubbers are taking away part of the risk of the big companies by checking how popular a show will be for the distributors.

This is a real shame, but, as mentioned before, all it means is that people in other parts of the world will go back to illegal streaming sites, rather than being able to support a series legally. I was quite happy to wait the extra days to watch FMA on Funimation's site and therefore support the show in that way, but it really makes no difference to me which site I stream it from.

What a pile of crap, I always really liked Funimation because they were one of the only ones that didn't screw all the non-Americans with localisation. Guess they just lost another fan.

panda z said:
I was quite happy to wait the extra days to watch FMA on Funimation's site and therefore support the show in that way, but it really makes no difference to me which site I stream it from.
I remember seeing streamed adverts for things like Bupa before Funi locked themselves up. It was almost as if we were part of their solution.
They have made the choice for things to be otherwise, and they probably know full well the lack of progress which exists as a result: Effectively they're providing a continued incentive for those whose actions they're trying to halt.

I do wonder if it's not also part of the Manga Ent streaming service. I'd say that localisation was imposed unto Funimation, rather than a choice of their own. As most people pointed out, people from other places used to go to Funi to show support for this model.

Now, most will simply go back to fansubs, which is a shame.

I don't even care about the new shows. What bothers me is no longer being able to access the extensive range of Funimation and Toei series at the click of a mouse button. I remember watching the first couple of episodes of Baccano, in English, before the DVD release. It was good while it lasted.

That site was the reason I bought Ouran High School Host Club and Mushi-shi.
I would never have thought they were up my, but because I could watch them I got into them.
It was certainly having a positive effect on me as a consumer.

Oh well, off to go try out Gravion.

On Crunchyroll, you say? naw! I'm off to get the fansubs or, worse, the DVD rip!

Because I don't exist according to the internet.

Conan-san said:
Oh well, off to go try out Gravion.

On Crunchyroll, you say? naw! I'm off to get the fansubs or, worse, the DVD rip!

Because I don't exist according to the internet.

it's cause we're unamerican

i'd try proxy's and stuff when im at home, but i reckon it just go as slow as hell

Back