Funimation Video Service Becomes Localised

Or it could be that Funimation are idiots when it comes to video streaming.

If they streamed their videos for a year without any basic security, letting any Tom, Dick, and Harry rip the flvs to their HDs, then I can believe that for a whole year, they didn't realise that they lacked the worldwide broadcast rights to these properties, or that they believed that the Internet stopped at the US border.

Honestly, I was expecting that shows like Phantom, FMA: Brotherhood, Dragonaut and Shikabane Hime would be blocked when the site came back up. But that shows which they own the DVD rights to, especially shows like Ouran and Mushi-shi, which are available in the UK would remain accessible.

I guess they are too stupid to implement selective security, so they blocked the whole site in one go.

Yet, those shows like Ouran are still streamable (for now), from Funi's Youchoob Channel, where FMA: B is blocked.

It's the total inability to communicate with customers, endemic among anime distributors, that really got my goat. They haven't just shot themselves in the foot. They've shot the whole bloody foot off.

Just Passing Through said:
It's the total inability to communicate with customers, endemic among anime distributors, that really got my goat. They haven't just shot themselves in the foot. They've shot the whole bloody foot off.
No, they think the foot shouln't exitst. That's thier problem.

But whatever, I saw all of Soul Eater and ceratainly wouln't buy it (the ending was attrocious). Keroro Gunsou will be ripped, i'm sure and Seto No Hanayome....er, I've have to give manga my money for that one.

Thats rather crap, i mean ok yeah i can understand why, but still, its not really fair in many respects too. The fools who hacked in and leaked the files basically just did more harm than good, and this shows it. Needless to say its annoying since i was watching a few shows on there, i'll have to find other ways to do so now, specially since it helped watch shows legally when i'm having problems with money at present.

Whilst it's your choice in regards to what you want to do with this situation, if Funi want to treat us as pirates then lower the jolly rodger, we be pirates.

I don't want Legal options to not work but, well.

What bugs me is how naive they are! For a year, they have no security. For a year they don't realise that they lack the global streaming rights.

It's also not apparently an across the board problem. As Youtube's Funimation Channel still works. Go to Youchoob, and FMA: Brotherhood is blocked to UK viewers, but other Funimation titles aren't. Now they either have the global streaming rights for those, or they really are stupid.

Case a) Funimation are just lazy, and rather than selectively blocking videos on their own portal, they just blocked the portal altogether. Too bad about the furreners

Case b) How the hell did they get to be the biggest distro in the US!

On the plus side, it'll make watching Brotherhood more enjoyable now that I won't have seen it when the DVDs come out. (If there is an alternative legal method, I'd rather not hear it; this is a nice way to quell any desire to watch the show until the DVDs.) This gives me something to look forward to. :) Pity about Fist of the North Star, mind--every episode left me in stitches.

Uppa said:
(If there is an alternative legal method, I'd rather not hear it; this is a nice way to quell any desire to watch the show until the DVDs.)

If you're watching Gurren Lagann at Manga's website, then I hope you keep your vision very, very, blinkered.

Just Passing Through said:
Case a) Funimation are just lazy, and rather than selectively blocking videos on their own portal, they just blocked the portal altogether. Too bad about the furreners

Case b) How the hell did they get to be the biggest distro in the US!

Case c) what makes them think that americans Wouldn't rip their files and upload them elsewhere

Archaic Sage said:
Chrono Mizaki said:
^That's fansubbers. Whilst some felt that what they have done helped improved the industry to some extent, others just seem bent on producing Fansubs.

I guess these changes are actually warranting some diversity to whether it's a good thing or bad.

Honestly, I wish they just maximize the security and still made it accessible to the world. But eh... Now I have to watch FMA... on my Fansubs. *sulks*

How on earth do you consider it to be the fault of fansubbers? The very existence of fansubbers have allowed us a) to start the revolution of digital distribution in anime (such as what Manga and Beez are starting to do at the moment) and b) has shown the fandom many series that would very likely not have been licensed otherwise such as Higurashi, Host Club, Haruhi, Lucky Star and Welcome to the NHK just to name a few. Those series are indistinctly Japanese and it's unlikely they would have been released was it not for the interest from the internet.

The fault is of those who compromised the servers in the first place, not those who are doing the community a service - especially the fansubbers who stop subbing once the show's been licensed, or publicly licensed anyway. In many respects fansubbers are taking away part of the risk of the big companies by checking how popular a show will be for the distributors.

Case in point; I've been saying that since the online distribution approach, there are a few fansubbers who are set in their ways. name removed come to mind, but they are just a bunch of lazy pirates anyway and not really a fansub group.

Yes, I agree Fansub have done lots of great things, such as company approaching the audience in the same way fansubs have done. But I'm not blaming them

I'm blaming a few pricks who ruined it for us. And Funi...

Course, given how Funi's Video portal was, I won't be to supprised if they had just forgotten, found out when the OP Killer struck and went Red Tape Nazi on us.

Look on FUNi's twitter - http://twitter.com/funimation
Seems like they're actually not reigion locking it, and the shows which are approved for streaming in the UK will be avaliable to us again in a while. This is good news, but I'm guessing things like Phantom and FMA:B wont be coming back round to us.

edit; damn, you beat me to it sage!

I can't but help susspecting that realy means "We've blocked access to turn our page into crunchyroll #2 and only allowing access to three shows."

i tried hidemyass.com but that only unblocks the site. another option i heard about is hotspot shield that has a free VPN but i reckon it goes turtle slow. that or it's just going through an american server which just isn't worth it.

sod anyother means to bugger about with it, better looking at what people have posted on Youtbe, Veoh or IMEEM

Here's a list of all the shows they have content up for, although for some like Bacanno it's just an episode or two, while for others it's little more than a trailer.

* Air Master
* Aquarion
* Baccano
* Baldr Force EXE
* Big Windup
* Black Blood Brothers
* Blassreiter
* Captain Harlock
* Darker Than Black
* Desert Punk
* Digimon Adventure 02
* Dragonaut: The Resonance
* Fist of the North Star
* Fist of the North Star 2
* Full Metal Panic! The Second Raid
* Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
* Galaxy Express 999
* Galaxy Railways
* Ghost Hunt
* Glass Fleet
* Gunslinger Girl
* Gunslinger Girl IL Teatrino
* Guyver
* Heroic Age
* Jyu-Oh-Sei
* Kiddy Grade
* Le Chevalier D'Eon
* Moon Phase
* Mr. Stain
* Mushi-Shi
* Negima!?
* Negima!? Spring & Summer Specials
* Ouran High School Host Club
* Peach Girl
* Phantom
* Pretty Cure
* Ragnarok
* Rumbling Hearts
* Sasami
* Save Me! Lollipop
* School Rumble
* School Rumble 2
* School Rumble OVA
* Shikabane Hime
* Shin chan
* Shuffle!
* Slam Dunk
* Slayers
* Slayers NEXT
* Solty Rei
* Strain
* Suzuka
* Tower of Druaga - The Aegis of URUK
* Vandread
* Welcome to the NHK
* xxxHOLiC

Care to speculate what will be disallowed to UK viewers.

I'm pretty sure the Toei shows will be off-limits, they are on Crunchyroll, and since Manga have the streaming rights in the UK for FMA, that will vanish too.

Any thoughts?

Conan-san said:
I can't but help susspecting that realy means "We've blocked access to turn our page into crunchyroll #2 and only allowing access to three shows."
I err towards this hypothesis as well. Of course, for them to choose to host shows in the manner of post-legalisation CR means we'll still be able to benefit from legally-used 21st century technology, only with the limitation of 20th century licensing methods.

Zin5ki said:
Conan-san said:
I err towards this hypothesis as well. Of course, for them to choose to host shows in the manner of post-legalisation CR means we'll still be able to benefit from legally-used 21st century technology, only with the limitation of 20th century licensing methods.
Which leads to crippling 21st century recession.

Conan-san said:
Zin5ki said:
Conan-san said:
Which leads to crippling 21st century recession.

which then forms to 21st century depression

Get Yours Today, whether your unemployed, homeless or working for the government :wink:

Back