Fullmetal Alchemist (on Rapture) discussion

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Paul said:
While the error with timing can be put down to bad luck and the repeat next Tuesday is fair enough, I'm worried about the picture and audio quality; it was disappointing to say the least.
Paul, did the audio have sort of an echo to it or was it sort of muffled?

It was muffled, almost "mono". The voices and music didn't seem like they were mixed properly. I don't watch dubbed anime but I assume the voices aren't supposed to be so much louder than the musical soundtrack? Also, the picture was faded, washed out. It looked cheap.

well our all knowing god ianc seems to think that 90% of the net think the dub was great

sounds like this fourm is the only one with sane anime fans then :lol:

Ryo Chan said:
well our all knowing god ianc seems to think that 90% of the net think the dub was great

sounds like this fourm is the only one with sane anime fans then :lol:
Ha, yes! The dub is nasty poo that sticks to my shoe rubadubdoo.

Ok now I know for sure it was edited, it was definetly the Adult Swim version :cry: really dissapointing, I guess Wolfs Rain will also be shown as the Adult Swim edit :cry: :cry:

Ramen89 said:
Ok now I know for sure it was edited, it was definetly the Adult Swim version :cry: really dissapointing, I guess Wolfs Rain will also be shown as the Adult Swim edit :cry: :cry:
Do they digitally remove the blood(they did that on bebop right?) or do they just cut those parts?

Ramen89 said:
They just cut it out, they did this fade to black thing.
Wait, so they didn't show Ed's leg ripped off? *boooooo* D:

How are they gonna fade to black on Wolf's Rain? Theres that awesome scene on the first episode(I think) where Kiba(shown as a wolf) attacks one of the gang members and tears into his neck.

Hmmm; IanC is sound as a pound in my book; the FMA dub is also enjoyable(imo). It is one of the best out there, especially Al. How can you judge the quality of the dub just from watching episode 1 eh??geez, give it time. the emotion presented, especially in Ed in episode 8, is pure brilliance.

What you also must remember is that why should we get uncut versions? I mean, if the americans, who have a massive user base, don't even get it, why would rapture buy (probably the more expensive rights-as it would be straight from FUNi and not the TV compnay) it.

masaki86 said:
How can you judge the quality of the dub just from watching episode 1 eh??geez, give it time.
I've watched the english dub for about 5 episodes and I thought mainly Ed's voice was pretty unbearable. I actually think it's one of the worst out there but that's probably just me.

Now that we've had time to digest the evening, I think it's fair to say that none of these problems are the end of the world; although many of us may have missed out, I'm sure a few new UK anime fans have been inducted tonight. Rapture are a young channel and mistakes will happen and as long as they continue to show a willingness to improve and interact with their viewers, they will have my respect. I like how they have quickly come out and held their hands up, it shows they care.

After all this moaning, lets simply revel in the fact that there was anime on UK TV this evening. That in itself is a massive improvement.

I feel like I'm going against the grain here, but even though Rapture cocked up I felt rather impressed with what I saw, albeit little (considering I'm an FMA virgin!). Just one more thing to look forward to next week!

The only thing that's really annoying me about Rapture is the fact they've put the apostrophe in the wrong place in their little ad break image. Instead of "You're watching Rapture TV", they've put "Your'e watching Rapture TV". How could nobody at headquarters have spotted this?!

Paul said:
Now that we've had time to digest the evening, I think it's fair to say that none of these problems are the end of the world; although many of us may have missed out, I'm sure a few new UK anime fans have been inducted tonight. Rapture are a young channel and mistakes will happen and as long as they continue to show a willingness to improve and interact with their viewers, they will have my respect. I like how they have quickly come out and held their hands up, it shows they care.

After all this moaning, lets simply revel in the fact that there was anime on UK TV this evening. That in itself is a massive improvement.

Yeah, that should the way we all look at it.

Yes, it was a little bit of a let-down. I'd waited my entire day, and having booted everyone else off the sofa it was a bummer that it was half way through the episode when I switched it over at 8:30 - but, like Paul says, it's not the end of the world. It's better that was get these problems now than in a few months when we're way into the series. And at least the show actually aired.

The moral of this story I think is not to get too excited about things in advance, because then there's a lot more space for you to be let down. Don't expect too much. Let's just take it as it comes.

What you also must remember is that why should we get uncut versions? I mean, if the americans, who have a massive user base, don't even get it, why would rapture buy (probably the more expensive rights-as it would be straight from FUNi and not the TV compnay) it.

very simple america and britan have completly different things that they declare suitable to air on TV

A big example is WWE. As u know its shown live and uncut at 7pm in the USA but it can't be shown uncut here till after watershed

the same use to be the same with DBZ, they had to air out blood and swaering (yes the usa did too but not as much as the uk) untill the recent bridge dubs where they seem to think swearing and blood on tv at 5pm is fine lol

rapture could of easily got away with showing it uncut after 9pm (watershead) where as the USA are use to uncut and have a wider range to of ages to choose from (12-80 yo) the UK anime industry is mainly aimed at either 8-15 yo (pokemon, yugioh ect) or adults (nadesico, evangelion, FMA ect)

anyway my personal belief is they should of started after 9pm and got it uncut, but i will give it a few more eps to try and impress me

moan all you like about the messed up time/the picture quality and the dub but face i and all anime fans should just be happy decent anime is getting shown at all. if you want the best quality picture and it to be uncut with all the beginning and end musics on just tuning in and dont watch it (to get the rating figues up) and buy the dvds thats why they are in the shops for.
the time problem hopefully was just a mistake for a tv station that was on for its 2nd day so give it a brake at least they seem to listen to the fans.
on the advertising front the fma/wr rapture adverts need to be shown on channels like the kids channels like toonami and jetix and also on channels like sky 1,2,3 and sci fi to draw an older crowd .

a great series i really like the guyver i even quite like the live action film guyver dark hero its quite good in a b-movie kind of way and the guyver designs were quite good,shame about the power ranger monsters.
and yes i also agree that the first series was easily better than the second but i still like the second series the main problem was it just didnt finish.
anyone know how long the new series is going to be im hoping for at least a 26 episode series.

also has anyone else seen the guyver ova called out of control , while its not as good as the series is still quite good for guyver fans.

I think the fact that most of us are so annoyed by what happened with the first episode of FMA being shown is that we all thought that we were finally able to watch decent and not children-oriented anime. Therefore our hopes and expectations were high. When the show was actually shown far earlier than scheduled and with a dissapointing video and sound quality we were all dissapointed. Which is because what we thought could essentually mean far more anime on tv, had a pretty bad start. Hopefully it can only get better, and we can also pray they don't make the same mistake with Wolfs Rain when it is shown tonight.

Back