French editions to be published

Well, there's not even a release date yet. You can expect it to be released in the next months however. AFAIK the distributor is busy handling the Japan Tours Fest. at the moment (as they play an important role in it, esp. with Japanese guests). Expect it for April-May or Japan Expo.

I can't say I am too fond of the box art (a bit too gloomy), but the digipack isn't two face, but three face and has the full JP Boxart after all, so yay~
(And it's probably also in the artbook, considering the other one was in there. Browsing through the artbook was a bit too fast to see it all.)

Denno Coil seems to hit soonish, too.
Now very curious on how From the New World will look like~~

Note: the German Nipponart BD uses the same discs (9/4/9/4), but with simpler packaging without extra DVDs nor booklets / artbooks, but thus a way lower price.
Both releases aren't english-friendly.

There's the NHK logo at the end of episode 20 (in next episode teaser), if that is anything to go by. I don't see any difference in the video embedded with your tweet however.

That is assuming the Wakanim version is identical to the Blu-Ray version (they licensed the title from DYBEX for streaming).

Dennoh Coil [Collector Edition BD-DVD]
It took 5 years but here it is, oh my god.
  • 94 pages artbook
  • 4 BD / 4 DVD

Black Fox [Blu-Ray]
  • 32 pages booklet
  • Video issues, apparently (Kazé seal of quality ;))
qNMxUd3.jpg

Last edited:
Will or will Shinsekai Yori not be faster than those 5 years is the real question there. 😂
(How many years in is it for that one already anyway? 2?)

How's the book like? It is more artworks and illustrations, productions materials etc. or leaning onto interviews et al?

No reports yet regarding its content.
The last new on SSY front was that they had sublicensed to streaming service wakanim.tv about 6 months ago. I presume if they go for a CE while no other country has done one (similar case to Dennoh Coil, all other editions are barebones) it's going to be a long ride.

How's the book like? It is more artworks and illustrations, productions materials etc. or leaning onto interviews et al?
It's full of artwork and production material. There's little to no text except the description of the main characters (which makes up less than half a page when all are considered together).
Roughly: - 1-22: characters designs
23-50: settei
51-76: key art (original DVD sets covers, special DVD editions covers, promotional artworks) - one image per page, either full page or with some slight margins.
77-92: painted backgrounds
93: Staff

If you like good packaging, it's definitely nice to have. It's a bit fragile but they chose to do something quite unique, for this very special show.

That artbook looks a bit barebones when compared to other Dybex A4 releases, I've seen the Nadia and the Steins;Gate ones and they were absolutely amazing, especially the Nadia one

It's definitely different as it lacks textual content and less lengthy. I think that's because there's just not that much content to work with that the video licensor can (or want to) provide. It's a surprise to no one that the Japanese are protecting Dennoh Coil. Some of the (very few) licensees claimed it was years of negotiation to get the show in the west.
It remains a good one however, with excellent printing quality.

Shinsekai Yori (DYBEX)
E6KPHE7XoAEZMcC

Full packaging shots
  • 3 BD50
  • Hard cardboard box with digipak
  • 52 pages booklet

Shirobako (DYBEX)
E6KOxzHWQAEvedF

Full packaging shots
  • 3 BD50
  • Hard cardboard box with digipak
  • 60 pages booklet
City Hunter Private Eyes (KAZÉ)
61jQygy0LmS._AC_SL1000_.jpg

• Steelbook with the movie (BD / DVD combo)
  • 2 records "Nicky Larson Private Eyes - Vocal collection"
  • Exclusive drawing
  • 88 pages booklet
Dororo (KAZÉ)
61rbv%2BOHUhS._AC_SL1000_.jpg

• 4 BD
  • Stacked plastic trays (in a digibook-like setup)

Last edited:
Shinsekai Yori: HYPE HYPE HYPE.

They already seem to have an extra illustration that the JP releases didn't even have on that Digipack. _ (JP digipack artwork is just the full size cover illustration and the other side is it's sketch version going by the v1 LE that I had before.)
The guidebook seems a bit thing compared to others, but I guess it couldn't possibly have as many assets as a Rahxephon or Steins;Gate did. (And not dub to probably noone's surprise.)
Absolutely hope it'll include the cover illustration of the 7th JP volume 新世界より That was my favorite, that Sentai and MVM both left out. (The latter has all the 8 other covers included in some manner of fashion, just not my favorite. T_T)

I expect the booklet to only contain 25 or so pages of illustrations and the rest being textual content in regard to the series. Still better than the other releases. Hopefully it has all of the JP illustrations, they are absolutely beautiful. But I think this is an A5-sized set, not A4.
Also, the Sentai/MVM versions had no booklet, I presume the illustrations were on disc?

Dororo's packaging is a crime against humanity and should treated as such. The Karas anniversary edition has the same packaging and it's... Disgusting.

Anyway, Shirobako is mine considering the lack of UK news on it and I may just double dip on Shinsekai Yori for the nice packaging.

I expect the booklet to only contain 25 or so pages of illustrations and the rest being textual content in regard to the series. Still better than the other releases. Hopefully it has all of the JP illustrations, they are absolutely beautiful. But I think this is an A5-sized set, not A4.
Oh, it's just A5? I somehow thought it might be like Shigurui then, which was A4.
Too bad, but I guess the JP LEs were DVD sized only anyway.
Some numbers of the higher volumes of the JP LEs have had little booklets it seems. (I've seen them sold separately before.) No idea what it's like, but their covers were designed like being old in world documents. V3 (it was I think) has had a bonus DVD, called Best Selection. (Also saw that sold separately.) But beyond sometimes v1 popping up of the 9 they seem to have completely vanished from the JP market.
Also, the Sentai/MVM versions had no booklet, I presume the illustrations were on disc?
Sentai's 2 part release has the two anime-artstyle-key illustrations with the characters as children for p1 and teens for p2. Those two illustrations don't seem to be included in the JP release either. (Would presume it should be added to the guidebook's art section; if Sentai managed to get access Dybex should be able, too.) The backcovers has one of the JP cover arts featured in small next to the summary text and screenshots. (All pretty cramped.)
The cover sleeve has no reverse side. Discs have JP cover art.

MVM's 2 part release uses the JP cover assets and has reverse print on the cover sleeves. The backcovers are somewhat similar to the French backcover, but with screenshots, not artwork. So taking the covers, reverse prints and the art on the discs it covers 8 of the 9 JP covers.

Sentai's complete Collection takes MVM's p1's cover choice, their own p1 backcover and exchanges the JP cover illustration.

Otherwise fairly barebones. MVM's p1 disc 2 additionally has the issue that it doesn't play on some players (including my PC drives), which is a bit annoying. (But then was at least glad to get some of the JP art, so kept it anyway.)

AUS is Hanabee, so should be 1:1 clone of MVM's, but with all their logos clutter.

Back