Forum needs a tidy up

chaos said:
Paul said:
I do think (in terms in moderating the forum) my weakness is the whole "Random" area, simply because I don't read it very often, so I definitely agree with the idea that we could do with an extra moderator or two for that area.

We need to be careful about a few things though:

I noticed that the community fell into a bit of a coma late April/early May simply because we lacked a few dissenting voices to stir up some discussion, probably a slight fall-out from what happened with Aion etc. It's recovering now, but my point is, we need to careful about jumping on arguments and things like that. I'd rather see people arguing (in a respectful manner, obviously) and debating with each other rather than just not posting.

I couldn't really care less about post-boosting as long as it's done inside the "forum games" board. To that end, I agree there are a few threads in Random Chit-Chat at the moment that would be better off in there. I'll sort that out in a few moments.

But yes, you guys have definitely given me some suggestions to ponder on and I know you all genuinely care about the health of AUKN. I'll have a think on it over the week and probably look at some new moderators etc at the weekend.

Once again, if I can help somehow, let me know.

Sorry, I'll get back to you on the PM you sent. I'll love to have your help, its just a case of finding the time to explain to you how things on the site work... *Makes mental note* :)

I think one of the big things about this forum is that even though there is sometimes a limited number of people posting the actual anime and manga sections are livelier than some of the bigger international forums like animeleague which I go on now and again.

I have never been a real fan of spam threads, but here seems at the moment to have an okay level. On some of the forums I have been on they have overtaken the main topics the forums were created for, which can’t be allowed to happen here.

I quite like the amount of modding here, some forums I have visited again seem to have some over zealous Nazis moderating them closing threads if people have not posted to them in like a day. Being too controlled is not that much fun. I pretty much always managed to keep my language down as I know it is an all ages forum, in the real world I swear as much as most people depending on company. Maybe however we do need an efficient way of alerting mods and censoring language if necessary. I would however never suggest we go into wholesale censoring of posts for content, unless they breached rules in some way.

A couple of pence there.

agree with Dracos.. the level of mod here is good. The members are good as well.

Most are willing to discuss and even when they go overboard, many apologize. You see someone crossing the line once in a while, but not frequently and I believe that's just adds to the fun.

Abuse and spam should not be allowed, but the forum should not become moderated by nazis as well =) You do a good job, I believe by now I've got the hang of your reviewers and I know which ones I generally agree with and those I don't . All in all AUKN is a great place =)

chaos said:
agree with Dracos.. the level of mod here is good. The members are good as well.

Most are willing to discuss and even when they go overboard, many apologize. You see someone crossing the line once in a while, but not frequently and I believe that's just adds to the fun.

Abuse and spam should not be allowed, but the forum should not become moderated by nazis as well =) You do a good job, I believe by now I've got the hang of your reviewers and I know which ones I generally agree with and those I don't . All in all AUKN is a get place =)

the level of mods is 0 though, only paul has the mod rights.

but i understand and agree with what you say, i think 1 mod who isn't a "nazi mod" is all that's needed

as i siad really, we just need someone with some sparetime to stop any fight that may occur, and movie the obvious games topics that appear in random chat into the games forum

C'mon, the state of this place isn't that bad. Yeah, the Dragon Quest thread went to pot and some people post more nonsense in a day than they should in a week, but overall it's fine.

Considering the size of the community - face it, it's big for a UK anime forum, but pretty tiny in the grand messageboard scheme - I'm not seeing the need for any extra mods. Maybe one like Chan said, but any more would be overkill really.

I really don't see language as an issue at all either, and I'd personally be totally opposed against any censoring.

I think Ryo Chan has the right idea, we don't want to be over controlled in how we post, but moving things that would be better elsewhere and someone that can calm things down a little or lock threads before we get full blown flame wars is a good thing. Also Paul can't be here 24 hours a day, and it can't be any fun for him having to read threads he has no interest in just in case someone has misbehaved.

I modded a forum at Uni many years ago, it was hell at times people complaing why had you edited or deleted their posts.

That's why i want to step up and put any spare time into it. basically i like this community here and the people that run itcare cool as well and i want to help that.

I agree with dracos in the sense that we don't need extremely strict mods, or rather, nazi mods, more someone who has a more sensible and mature look on things and doesn't take everything seriously. Swearing isn't an extremely major problem, but i can agree that it could still be dimmed down a little.
I'm willing to help out, if ya want an extra helping hand at least, no lectures usually means i'm free a fair bit.

i understand that it is a big undertaking and not something to take lightly but i am good with working with a lot of things to juggle. so how much of the forum do you 2 personally have to look over?

devilrules666 said:
i understand that it is a big undertaking and not something to take lightly but i am good with working with a lot of things to juggle. so how much of the forum do you 2 personally have to look over?
No offense but I wouldn't pick you as a mod if I were the admin. If I were to pick a new mod it would be someone who has been around a lot longer or even done it before on a different section of the forum. We don't want a new mod that does it for a while and decides they can't be bothered with the forum. Members like Ryo and Arbalest would be a much better choice.

Personally I think this forum is pretty great as forums go. It's not too busy that topics get lost in one day and the spam is generally kept to a minimum.

devilrules666 said:
i wouldn't give up on it thank you very much. you don't know me so how about you keep your opinion to yourself.
I know about how you post on the forum and most of your posts seem to consist of adding to the games topics. All i'm really saying is that a more established member and somebody who contributes more to the forum would be the better choice.

But yeah, it's up to Paul in the end.

I think we should all just stop promoting ourselves and let Paul decide. He probably has a rough Idea of who he'd want anyway. Its just a pain if he gets tonnes of PM's going "I wanna be MOD, trust me il be really good".

Its like sure, I'd like to, but I aint got a hope :lol: Im too new, and posted in the games too much. So I know, not to try. I think we all need to be quiet and let the man in charge decide.

Spyro201 said:
I think we should all just stop promoting ourselves and let Paul decide. He probably has a rough Idea of who he'd want anyway. Its just a pain if he gets tonnes of PM's going "I wanna be MOD, trust me il be really good".

ironically, i've had 2 from different users already, and i'm not officially a mod :D

so god knows how Pauls poor inbox is

devilrules666 said:
i would like to help by voluteering for a modrator postition here. i wouldn't mind giving some time to this great site!
Just so you know, asking to be a mod makes you less likely to be given the position. I highly doubt anyone who asks to be mod has the best interests of the forum at heart. Those that do seek to stroke their own ego. Besides, being a mod is a thankless job. I can imagine it's not all it's cracked up to be. Besides, even Paul on his own hasn't got much to do in the way of moderating (not that we can see anyway), so mods aren't needed.

You want to be a mod? Create your own forums.

i have an idea.....why not assign mods to each different part of the forums, 1 for the general chit chat, 1 for the forum games ect ect.

im on the forums most of the time during the week while at work.

Back