Final Fantasy VII: The Finest Game Ever Crafted?

Final Fantasy VII: the finest game ever made?

• Yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure ...

• No!

• Total voters
CitizenGeek said:
And you've played FFXIII, have you? :O

Reread what I posted; I said LOOKS LIKE!!!!!

Most RPGs take so long to finish because there's so much game to play

Shame that gameplay is mostly made up of level grinidning, backtracking and constant battles that are almost identical to the ones that have came previous.

I think you should notice a consistent change in RPGs through the ages.

Nope; things have not changed; they have only improved. Improved music, visuals, presentation of story. The mechanics that make up the fundamentals of a JRP have remained unchanged. The same tired walk round an area, encounter battles, walk round world map, encounter battles, talk to people, encounter battles....I could go on. Things have only been added to it; the bare bones gameplay is still fundamentally the same as FFI; just prettier, louder and tireder.

Disgaea is a tactical RPG, we are talking about JRPGs here btw.

That whole "people only liked FFVII because it has teen angst and it was their first RPG" is nonsense. FFVII is as extraordinarily popular as it is because it's a good game.

That is an opinion; not a fact, do not pass it off as a fact please. I did not argue that it wasn't popular, but look how popular Titanic the movie was. Look how populr bob the builder singles were, look how popular the teletubbies were. Popularity cannot account for taste.

Cloud was not "an emo". I truly detest that word being used to describe game or anime characters. For the record, I'm not "emo" either, in fact, I rather dislike the whole emo thing :]

Nope; Cloud was just depressed, emotionally confused, faggot hair cut.......wait isn't that an emo

GOD I HATE FANBOYS. Final Fantasy 7 fanboys seem to be the worst though; for every single GTA:VC/Zelda/Mario....is the best game ever thread, you get 100 FF7 threads. I don't know why they have to harp on about it so much. I think it is beacuse the game series's I mentioned are critically, comercially, casual gamer identified classics, where as FF7 is the game of the fanboy.

Aion said:
Lupus Inu said:
Naw, I'm more like "Final Fantasy VII isn't the best game ever, shut up about it."

You want to be different; it's an understandable desire.
How do I want to be different? I quite rightly acknowledge FF:VII in being a good game, yet best game ever? Oh dear. It doesn't help they pulled out and raped the mysterious and timeless aura of it with spin-offs.

kurosaki86 said:
was just depressed, emotionally confused, faggot hair cut.......wait isn't that an emo

I would reply to your post, but when someone uses that word, it's usually a fairly good indicator that they are of decreased mental capability, and so discussion or debate with them is pointless ;]

Vector-Lucy said:
X-2 was spice girls with ******* guns

Aww, I absolutely adore X-2! :3 All that hyper-campness and more of Yuna's story, plus a wildly inventive, hugely enjoyable, fast-paced, turn-based battle system all made FFX-2 awesome!

I liked FF X-2 for a while, since I was a mindless FF fan upon it's release, after a while even I couldn't take it, and figured it was probably the worst Final Fantasy game I've ever played.

CitizenGeek said:
I would reply to your post, but when someone uses that word, it's usually a fairly good indicator that they are of decreased mental capability, and so discussion or debate with them is pointless ;]

WAAAAAAAAAAAAA; jesus get over yourself, I don't use faggot as a homosexual insult. I suppose in hindsight the fact that you do not know me would mean you do not know the useage of it, so here is my explanation:

fag·got 1 (fgt)
n. & v.
Variant of fagot.

1: Used to describe anyone with an overtly passionate interest in anything.
2: Used to descrbe emo haircuts.

Oh wait; you're being serious. Come back to me when you have read an epic modern piece of fiction or some of the literary works of the ancient world before claiming that a)I have decreased mental capability (i'm sorry, Ancient History at the University of Birmingham obviously doesnt count for any mental abilities)and b)that the final fantasy series has great storylines.

edit- I'm sorry, I must've missed this comment:

citizen geek said:
That's the thing; Ocarina of Time didn't have the impact on it's fans that FFVII had on the 10 million or so that played it. When people were finished with Ocarina of Time, they were finished with it. Same thing with Twillight Princess. But, when people finished FFVII, they took to the internet, writing fanfiction after fanfiction, drawing fanart after fanart and demanding more. Indeed, the demand was so great that, more than 5 years later, Square -- for the first time ever -- announced sequels and prequels for an FF game. There's a reason people are still talking, in depth, about FFVII more than 10 years later. And there's a reason people aren't talking about OoT and most other games 10 years after they came out.

No offence, but to compare Ocarina of Time to Final Fantasy 7 is like comparing chalk and cheese. They are two entirely different types of game. The major reason why FF7 had so much fanfiction and requests for continuation is because the story is the real integral part of the game; not the gameplay. Oh, and squareenix are whores and only decided to make any continuations because they wanted the money, not to appease the masses.

For something like OOT, it is the gameplay and the playing through the game that is the most important thing. The story in almost all Zelda game takes the backseat.

People do still talk about OOT even now, and it is WIDELY accepted in almost all major publications and websites as being one of, if not the best game ever created. I wouldn't say it is, but it is pretty damn near close to perfection.

kurosaki86 said:
No offence, but to compare Ocarina of Time to Final Fantasy 7 is like comparing chalk and cheese. They are two entirely different types of game. The major reason why FF7 had so much fanfiction and requests for continuation is because the story is the real integral part of the game; not the gameplay. Oh, and squareenix are whores and only decided to make any continuations because they wanted the money, not to appease the masses.

I'm still waiting for an original game by SE or any revival of the older series. Thus the only original game is probably 'The world ends with you'.

But yah, I think people are pretty stupid to compare two different games. I mean, the only game that is similar to LOZ is the KH series. LOZ focused on Gameplay, Puzzles and different gadgets. FF on the other hand focused on wide range of abilities, a storyline and a huge world to explore.

Tbh I prefer FF7 to Legend of Zelda. But please... Citizengeek, stop comparing two different franchises.
People do still talk about OOT even now, and it is WIDELY accepted in almost all major publications and websites as being one of, if not the best game ever created. I wouldn't say it is, but it is pretty damn near close to perfection.

I personally don't see the great deal with the game. I think it's highly overrated and I prefer Wind Waker because it's a more welcome change instead of the generic and recreation of OOT in the disaster, Twilight Princess.

SE don't need to make original games. They make a fortune from FF and DQ - "the masses" are happy buying them...it's only the oh-so-cool forum kids who get off on being awkward and hating anything slightly popular who sulk about it. ;)

Another FF arguement thread, you've all got your own opinions no one can decide which is the better game, they both did extremely well, especially FFVIII due to it being 3D, I personally prefer VIII but I'm not gonna argue (again :p)

Interactive Computer Games > FF Tactics > Hollywood Action Movies > Final Fantasy 6 > Final Fantasy 8* > Final Fantasy 9** > Final Fantasy 7 > Every other Console RPG Except > Final Fantasy X and pretty much everything new Square-Enix have released since.

* Note: Kiros looks like Michael Jackson if you squint hard enough.
** Note: Moogles.

Call me shallow, but if Final Fantasy VII is the 'X-iest Y ever', it'd have to be the 'The Ugliest Final Fantasy ever'. It looks atrocious in a way that previous titles have excuses for, and from 6 it's almost a step down. 'But Gameplay before Graphics!' you cry! Oh it would be nice to see a Final Fantasy game with Gameplay I retort! Hoho!

Its amazing as long as you don't go back and play it after playing some of the newer one, I held it in such higher regard before I replayed it last month, but it is still in my ALL TIME TOP 5 GAMES

The answer to the original question is a simple no from me.

That space is reserved for Tekken 2 and Street Fighter 2.

Spyro201 said:
Meh, lets face it the Metal Gear Solid series is way better. MGS1 ftw!!
There really isn't any ground to compare the two on though. Though actually, as MGS1 has trouble running on my PS2, nuts to it.

T-this discussion is still going on ..?

Well my response would be, no, I don't think it is.
Sure it's an alright game, but I don't know, I still don't understand why it was and 'still is' the fanboy favourite even to this day.

I found it terribly easy to level in that game, which for starters is a bit of a challenge let down, the bosses were no real difficulty, I didn't find the plot terribly amazing (AKA, it didn't really catch on to me). I will agree that the materia aspect was rather clever, but otherwise ...?

I'm one of those people who, after going through a game and 'completing' it, and from enjoying it will most likely play it through again, but Final Fantasy VII, I have no desire what so ever to play again, whereas I'll happily play Final Fantasy VIII or X again anytime, along with other games that are not Final Fantasy.

A tad late into the discussion, but meh.

When people were finished with Ocarina of Time, they were finished with it.

Not me. Even to this day, I still go back and play it (in fact, I'm working my way through it at the moment). It's not the kind of thing that, when completed, I'd restart straight away, but if I haven't touched it for a few months or so, then I'll start it up again and stick with it until the end. I've even gone back and completed Majora's Mask, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess (to a lesser extent) a number of times.

I will never tire of Zelda. It's my all time favourite series of games, and nothing will change that.

If they where to remake anything, i'd be more interested in a OoT remake, but only just graphically. No changes whatsoever to gameplay or story.

That would be a dream come true. :wink:

Back