Final Fantasy VII: The Finest Game Ever Crafted?

Final Fantasy VII: the finest game ever made?

• Yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure ...

• No!

• Total voters

CitizenGeek

Guild Member
I think it just might be! I honestly cannot think of a game that's more accomplished than FFVII. It's not even my favourite game, but there's just something impossibly perfect about it. It's got a deep, touching, profoundly moving plot; a great cast of varied, by now iconic, characters; an amazingly 'full' world, with lots of beautiful sights; an ingenious, unique leveling up system (materia); an enjoyable battle system, a satisfying ending; absolutely amazing music; tonnes of mini-games and extras. It's no wonder it's sold more than 10 million copies, really.

I know this forum is generally (and unusually for an anime forum) negative towards Final Fantasy, but I've still decided to include a poll. Of course, no one has played every single game ever made, so just do your best to "guess" whether it's the best or not.

Discuss!~

Unnecessary thread. Do you have to post about Final Fantasy so much? I fail to see why this blatant Final Fantasy fanboyism couldn't have been put in another FF thread.

Final Fantasy VII was my first ever RPG and is still to this day my favourite. In terms of pacing, FFVII is the perfect game; I loved how Square lead you to believe you were going to stay inside Midgar for the first few hours and then revealed the WONDERFUL world map for the first time, completing the awesomeness of it all with the first Nibelheim flashback episode shortly after.

The battle system, in my opinion, is perfect. It allows new comers to play without instructions and allows experienced players to combine materia for bonuses. The materia system, together with the excellent limit break system, made FFVII a pleasure to play.

I once had the black label PAL copy. Sadly, I was stupid and gave it away to a 'friend' when I purchased the platinum version. I'm not too depressed about that since I now own a mint condition black label NTSC copy, but it would be nice to still have my original PAL copy.

Aion said:
Unnecessary thread. Do you have to post about Final Fantasy so much? I fail to see why this blatant Final Fantasy fanboyism couldn't have been put in another FF thread.

this has gotta be the greatest quote in the history of this forum

Aion moaning about an unnecessary thread :D

Final Fantasy VII was good when I first got into RPGs. I've played better.

Cloud Strife is the worst lead character in history. True story.

I really like the world and story of Final Fantasy 7 but I hate the game. I got a PSX solely for this game, and I did play it for hours on end on christmas day, but once I got to Nibelheim, I tired of the repetitiveness.

I do not generally like turn based rpg's, barring the excellent Chrono trigger, Final Fantasy X, Suikoden and the sublime Skies of Arcadia, but I just could not get into the game.

Best game ever though; would have to come from one of these five seres; Half-Life, GTA, Super Mario, The Legend of Zelda and Shenmue.

Gotta be a 'No' from me, Because my favourite RPG is FF4, FF9 or Grandia 1 or 2, though FF7 is over-rated to the max at my school.

Never got into the FF series, i prefer playing with other people in an RPG rather than by myself.

Although a friend of mine has played them all, if i remember on tuesday i will get him to write what he thinks :p

Aion said:
Final Fantasy VII was my first ever RPG and is still to this day my favourite. In terms of pacing, FFVII is the perfect game; I loved how Square lead you to believe you were going to stay inside Midgar for the first few hours and then revealed the WONDERFUL world map for the first time, completing the awesomeness of it all with the first Nibelheim flashback episode shortly after.

Yeah, I remember being totally surprised and ridiculously excited when I first left Midgar and discovered the huge world map. FFVII is just such a memorable game; I can't think of any other gaming experience from which I have so many memories. The character of Aeris was so great that -- even though I knew it was coming -- I was still more or less heartbroken when she died.

The battle system, in my opinion, is perfect. It allows new comers to play without instructions and allows experienced players to combine materia for bonuses. The materia system, together with the excellent limit break system, made FFVII a pleasure to play.

I think so too! Well, it's as perfect as you're ever going to get with a turn based battle system, IMO. It's generally fast-paced, too, so it never got repetitive for me.

Yeah it's a very good game, but I wouldn't say best ever.

Level grinding for the sake of it is too much like hard work and FFVII was fairly demanding in that respect. Basically after a certain amount of time I got bored and couldn't be arsed with it any more. Grandia has a better fight system imo.

Zen 2nd said:
I prefer Metal Gear Solid more.

Yeah, the first MGS is pretty darn close to perfect, I think! However I think it falls short because it's all over very quickly (I'm completed in 2 days).

Lupus Inu said:
This is a Final Fantasy VII praise thread. No negative talk allowed.

Well, I don't recall ever saying or implying that, and considering I made the thread, I think I'm more qualified to work out what this thread is about, and it's not solely for praise. Take your needless cynicism and 2-sentence-posts elsewhere, please ;]

It's quite clear Final Fantasy VII is far from the best game ever made. Even someone totally obsessed with it like you should full well know this. Besides... Final Fantasy VI is better. ;/

Totally. It took me seven years to finish it after endless drifting awy from it and restarting...so I felt kinda sad when I finished it. I'll probably play it again someday soon anyway...I love the story and the music.

The levelling up and battling is good too...nice and simple. Cloud/Tifa/Vincent was my preferred team...I never really used anyone else unless I had to.

Lupus Inu said:
It's quite clear Final Fantasy VII is far from the best game ever made.

No, it isn't. That's why 4 people out of 8 (that's 50%, btw) on here alone have said that it is the best game ever made. It's won many popularity polls, too, including GameFAQs' "Best. Game. Ever." contest. Many people do consider it to be the best game ever made -- so it's far from "clear" that FFVII is not the best game ever.

Even someone totally obsessed with it like you should full well know this.

I'm not totally obsessed; FFVII isn't even my favourite FF game, let alone my all-time favourite game (I prefer FFX and FFXII to it), but I understand that it's the better game.

Back