Final Fantasy VII: The Finest Game Ever Crafted?

Final Fantasy VII: the finest game ever made?

• Yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure ...

• No!

• Total voters
It's impossible to say any game is the "best ever made" cause you'll never please everyone and there are so many to choose from.

But yes i have to admit, it is definatly up there with the best

FFVII was good, at the time.

Instead of pining for it, how about looking for the next great thing? I think The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was the best game ever, but you don't hear me singing its praises 10 years on.
CitizenGeek said:
Well, I don't recall ever saying or implying that, and considering I made the thread, I think I'm more qualified to work out what this thread is about, and it's not solely for praise. Take your needless cynicism and 2-sentence-posts elsewhere, please ;]
If you didn't want it to be solely a praise thread, you wouldn't have given it the current title.

CitizenGeek said:
No, it isn't. That's why 4 people out of 8 (that's 50%, btw)
Thanks, I couldn't tell, seriously.

CitizenGeek said:
It's won many popularity polls, too, including GameFAQs' "Best. Game. Ever." contest. Many people do consider it to be the best game ever made -- so it's far from "clear" that FFVII is not the best game ever.
Using GameFAQs to back you up? lol. We all know GameFAQs is full of biased 13 year old kids. Especially considering Nintendo characters usually win everything, m i rite?

FFVII is one of the most popular games in existence. It's safe to say FFVII is in the running for the best game in existence going on its popularity and review scores; there's no real argument against it.

It's certainly up there in the list of important video gaming releases: FFVII was the reason RPG's become 'normal' in Europe, gamers coming to accept the RPG genre after experiencing and reading about it. Many other RPG's were licensed for release over here after FFVII's success.

And, while no poll is going to be 100% correct, the amount of people who vote on GameFAQ polls show what most gamers feel. I've seen some correct GameFAQS in my time, such as the +10 version of the final Star Ocean 2 boss winning the hardest ever video game boss poll.

Lelouch said:
Gotta be a 'No' from me, Because my favourite RPG is FF4, FF9 or Grandia 1 or 2, though FF7 is over-rated to the max at my school.

I hear that.

The first Grandia had to be the best ******* RPG I'd ever played (though due props to FF7, the first RPG I'd played, and thoroughly enjoyed.).

Everything down to the voices and art style, not to mentioned the rectum-busting battle system they had going on.

Sadly, I never played the follow up game-- maybe I should buy it?

Talking about FF7 made me realise I actually liked FF8 better (minus the overly emo protagonist that was Squall.)

Back to Grandia;

To people who have played it a fair bit, did you find it a few notches more difficult than the FF series? I know I did.

That 5 headed dragon had me by the balls for ages once you head up to the sky.

Oh, and to steer this thread even further away; anyone played the Breath Of Fire games?

Grandia is the most fun RPG I've ever played; it's the one I enjoy replaying the most. The sequel, Grandia 2, is ok... It only lasts half as long as the original, not having any extras, but it's quite fun to play. The other 2 Grandia games, Xtreme and 3, are horrible games that fans of the original should avoid at all costs.

Breath of Fire III is one of my favourite RPG's. It doesn't have anything that stands out but it's a solid RPGing experience, one that's coated in nostalgia in my case. I also like the sequel, BoFIV, but not as much as BoFIII.

<a href="http://kotaku.com/364353/dengeki-readers-say-fav-2007-game-fav-of-all-time">Japan likes it</a>

Though I love Final Fantasy VII - indeed, it's probably my favourite game - I'd never claim that it's anywhere near perfect. It is, like GTA, more than the sum of its parts: the battle system is flawed in that the characters are differentiated only by the materia they're equipped with, and the storytelling is a little overwraught at times; but taken as a whole, it's a incredible experience.

Maxon said:
Instead of pining for it, how about looking for the next great thing? I think The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time was the best game ever, but you don't hear me singing its praises 10 years on.

That's the thing; Ocarina of Time didn't have the impact on it's fans that FFVII had on the 10 million or so that played it. When people were finished with Ocarina of Time, they were finished with it. Same thing with Twillight Princess. But, when people finished FFVII, they took to the internet, writing fanfiction after fanfiction, drawing fanart after fanart and demanding more. Indeed, the demand was so great that, more than 5 years later, Square -- for the first time ever -- announced sequels and prequels for an FF game. There's a reason people are still talking, in depth, about FFVII more than 10 years later. And there's a reason people aren't talking about OoT and most other games 10 years after they came out.

If you didn't want it to be solely a praise thread, you wouldn't have given it the current title.

That question mark (it looks like this: "?", and generally denotes a question, rather than a statement) is there for a reason.

Kurogane said:
Talking about FF7 made me realise I actually liked FF8 better (minus the overly emo protagonist that was Squall.)

Yeah, FFVIII was outstanding. However, I really, really hated the battle system (I think I was just 'doing it wrong' as it were, but still, it sucked!).

Back to Grandia;

No, back to Final Fantasy VII ;]

Quote:

That question mark (it looks like this: "?", and generally denotes a question, rather than a statement) is there for a reason.

he's got you there :p

anyway personally i find Tales of Symphonia the best RPG i've ever played, heck apart from FF9, it's the only one i've been bothered to complete

Final Fantasy VII sequals are mostly all bad, so don't go saying it like it's a good thing.

In before "It's not for you"

So how many Final Fantasies have you played then, CitizenGeek?

Listen, I love FFVII, and in the past I've gotten into retarded e-arguments about why it's so great and how people seem determined to hate it just to to be different. However, I came to the realization that arguing over an ancient video game is something only losers would do and stopped.

FFVII isn't perfect in all areas, the story in particular having a few holes.

While I can't remember clearly, there's been a lot of debate about the Sephiroth 'clone' the gang chased for the a long period of the game; the 'clone' that looked identical to Sephiroth and killed Aeris. It was never clear if the real Sephiroth somehow transformed a clone in his image and controlled him or if it was a clone that simply looked like him... In other words, poor writing.

The other plot point that sticks in my memory is the time when Cloud defeated Sephiroth, somehow throwing Sephiroth (while impaled) over the bridge and into the mako below. It wasn't never explained how Cloud could've accomplished such a thing, the only answer seemingly being that the writers couldn't explain it either and left it unexplained...that, or the writers favourite film is Return of the Jedi.

The final unexplained plot element (that's in my memory) is who the real bad guy of FFVII was. Sephiroth became the famous baddie, yet it was always the speechless Jenova who pulled Sephiroth's strings; who he worshipped as his Mother. We never found out very much about Jenova at all during the story, only that it was an alien who crashed on the planet. Once again, poor writing.

What I'm trying to point out is that, while the game is my favourite, it does have weak areas in the story. If a remake were to be made that clarified the unclear parts of the plot it would certainly be perfect... It's just a shame that, knowing Square these days, they'd most likely **** up a remake if they attempted to do it.

"The finest game ever created". being 100% honest, will never be a title given to any game ever in my opinion. No matter how often people will say oh this game is absolutely amazing, or this has got to be the best game ever, they'll just move on and say the same thing with another game later on.

FFVII was one of those titles that originally had me avoiding it because so many adored it. I eventually got round to playing it a couple years back and finished it, i'm still trying to see where all the praise is coming from. Sephiroth was alright, i don't see why he is such an "awesome" bad guy, and Cloud didn't seem all that great either. I personally preferred the rest of the cast to those two. It may have had a big impact yes, but to be honest, the FFVII franchise should have been left as a stand-alone game instead of having spin-offs and sequels coming out over and over again.

My personal Favourite is still, and probably will be for years to come, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. I still go back to it often enough and play through it. It was, rather is, one of those games that is still deemed epic. Not just because its zelda, but because of the way the game plays, the size of it and, at the time, the graphics of it, which even now, are still pretty darn good. If they where to remake anything, i'd be more interested in a OoT remake, but only just graphically. No changes whatsoever to gameplay or story.

Lupus Inu said:
Final Fantasy VII sequals are mostly all bad, so don't go saying it like it's a good thing.

Ah, but that's not true at all. Most FF fans loved Advent Children, many more loved Dirge of Cerberus (I know I did!) and Crisis Core is getting near-universal critical acclaim. Before Crisis was the most successful mobile phone game ever in Japan. So, it's very much just your opinion that they're bad.

In before "It's not for you"

I can't really use that argument on you, because you were a fan, regardless of whether you wanted a sequel or not.

So how many Final Fantasies have you played then, CitizenGeek?

I have played Final Fantasy IV, VI, VII, VIII, X, XII, Tactics (I own FFIX, just havn't played it yet). Spin-off wise, I've played Dirge of Cerberus, FFX-2 and every single Kingdom Hearts game (KH counts as an FF spin-off, because, let's face it, unless you're 11, you're playing for the Final Fantasy elements).

How many Final Fantasies have you all played? ;]

Aion said:
FFVII isn't perfect in all areas, the story in particular having a few holes.

Certainly! With a plot as grand and complicated as FFVII's, I was surprised there weren't more plot holes.

The other plot point that sticks in my memory is the time when Cloud defeated Sephiroth, somehow throwing Sephiroth (while impaled) over the bridge and into the mako below. It wasn't never explained how Cloud could've accomplished such a thing, the only answer seemingly being that the writers couldn't explain it either and left it unexplained...that, or the writers favourite film is Return of the Jedi.

I think that had something to do with the adverse reaction Cloud had to the abundance of mako (it's kind of hinted at that mako makes act all funny at the start of the game, when Avalanche is attacking the mako reactor in Midgar) ...

The final unexplained plot element (that's in my memory) is who the real bad guy of FFVII was.

I don't think that's really a plot hole. I think it's left ambiguous like that for a reason -- so you can make your own mind up about it! And Jenova is an alien from outer space, like you said, so it's only natural that there'd be a mystery surrounding her.

Arbalest said:
Not just because its zelda

On that, we disagree! :p

CitizenGeek said:
Ryo Chan said:
if you don't want to play IX, i'll glady take it off your hands ;)

Oh no, I certainly do want to play FFIX ... just haven't gotten 'round to it! Nice try, though :p

pffft you have no idea how hard it is to find a copy of that game without resorting to ebay :(

Ryo Chan said:
CitizenGeek said:
Ryo Chan said:
if you don't want to play IX, i'll glady take it off your hands ;)

Oh no, I certainly do want to play FFIX ... just haven't gotten 'round to it! Nice try, though :p

pffft you have no idea how hard it is to find a copy of that game without resorting to ebay :(

I saw gamestation with 2 copies preowned after my last copy smashed(damn cats).
Still it's amazing after over 10 years these games still cost more than old ps3 games.

Also anyone know where i can get a copy of tatics for the ps1?

Gacha said:
Kurogane said:
Breath Of Fire games?

Yes i've been tracking down BOF 3 for the ps1 for ages shame about the 5th one
It's fairly easy to find the re-release on PSP in case you didn't know about it. (though you probably did :wink: ) It's exactly the same. I only wish Capcom would get BOF 4 on there as well as my PS1 copy is buried somewhere.

Back to FFVII: Not to sound harsh, more just poking a bit of fun, but can anyone out there describe the defining features of Cloud's personality? He was awfully bland with a tinge of misery as far as I can remember. :wink:

Barret, Red XIII and Yuffie were pretty cool (though on that side mission where Yuffie steals your materia - I could have slapped her so hard!).
Gacha said:
Also anyone know where i can get a copy of tatics for the ps1?
America. It was never released on PS1 in this country. :cry:

Ushio said:
It's fairly easy to find the re-release on PSP in case you didn't know about it. (though you probably did :wink: ) It's exactly the same. I only wish Capcom would get BOF 4 on there as well as my PS1 copy is buried somewhere.

BoFIII on PSP is painfully slow. The loading times are seriously ridiculous! It was fun for the 5 or so hours that I tolerated the loading times for.

Back to FFVII: Not to sound harsh, more just poking a bit of fun, but can anyone out there describe the defining features of Cloud's personality? He was awfully bland with a tinge of misery as far as I can remember. :wink:

Cloud was a very deep character. He was scarred by that whole Zack incident, his home town was burned to ground by Sephiroth, and was thus quiet and cold. However, we see that he can still be fun when he dresses up in drag to save Tifa, at the request of Aeris. Then, of course, Aeris dies and he's determined to stop Sephiroth. When he's crippled at Mideel, he shows determination again to get better. And then there's the ending. Of course, Cloud is a quiet character, but that doesn't make him any less of a powerful one!

America. It was never released on PS1 in this country. :cry:

The PSP FF Tactics is awesome. Try that!

Back