Final Fantasy VII: The Finest Game Ever Crafted?

Final Fantasy VII: the finest game ever made?

• Yes!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Not sure ...

• No!

• Total voters
CitizenGeek said:
If you didn't want it to be solely a praise thread, you wouldn't have given it the current title.

That question mark (it looks like this: "?", and generally denotes a question, rather than a statement) is there for a reason.
Stop! Semantics time! *dances*

Anyway, I did notice the question mark, but the fact it's a question is not my point. It's the wording. :twisted:
CitizenGeek said:
That's the thing; Ocarina of Time didn't have the impact on it's fans that FFVII had on the 10 million or so that played it. When people were finished with Ocarina of Time, they were finished with it. Same thing with Twillight Princess. But, when people finished FFVII, they took to the internet, writing fanfiction after fanfiction, drawing fanart after fanart and demanding more. Indeed, the demand was so great that, more than 5 years later, Square -- for the first time ever -- announced sequels and prequels for an FF game. There's a reason people are still talking, in depth, about FFVII more than 10 years later. And there's a reason people aren't talking about OoT and most other games 10 years after they came out.
Yeah and the reason is that those people have moved on, which is the point I was getting at.

CitizenGeek said:
Ah, but that's not true at all. Most FF fans loved Advent Children, many more loved Dirge of Cerberus (I know I did!) and Crisis Core is getting near-universal critical acclaim. Before Crisis was the most successful mobile phone game ever in Japan. So, it's very much just your opinion that they're bad.
The majority of fans eat that **** up, I could come up with a barely original story like "Cloud is being emo wondering his home town to relive his past, upon his return... SEPHIROTH IS REVIVED FOR SOME REASON WHICH IS NEVER EXPLAINED, ZOMG! Now Cloud must battle Sephiroth to ensure that Earth is once again safe." I'd slap "Final Fantasy VII: Epic Fail" on it and it'd sell like hot cakes.

CitizenGeek said:
I can't really use that argument on you, because you were a fan, regardless of whether you wanted a sequel or not.
OK!

CitizenGeek said:
I have played Final Fantasy IV, VI, VII, VIII, X, XII, Tactics (I own FFIX, just havn't played it yet). Spin-off wise, I've played Dirge of Cerberus, FFX-2 and every single Kingdom Hearts game (KH counts as an FF spin-off, because, let's face it, unless you're 11, you're playing for the Final Fantasy elements).

How many Final Fantasies have you all played? ;]
I've played I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, Dirge of Cerberus, VIII, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Final Fanatasy Legends.

Seems I'm the bigger Final Fantasy fan. >___>

EDIT: Oh, I've played Kingdom Hearts and KH:II too, but they're only good for the Disney characters, since Sora is probably the WORST main character I've seen.

CitizenGeek said:
Cloud was a very deep character.
I was joking when I asked about his character as I generally don't see him as a good character. Deep certainly isn't a word I'd use, more bland/hormonal perhaps. Don't mind me, I just like to moan and make fun of Cloud (and Vincent too if I'm allowed :twisted:).

Perhaps his lack of presence allows the player to become more immersed as they more or less override him and take his place as a person in the game. :p It's us who plays the story out, not him imo.

That's how I see it anyway, so it's cool if we have differing views on it. ;-)

CG obviously sees Cloud as one of his own; an emu.

I didn't like or dislike Cloud. The mystery surrounding his past with Sephiroth made him an interesting enough lead; that, together with him having a gigantic sword, was all that mattered. His lack of personality didn't really matter when there were characters like Barret around him to mask it.

Here's how I rate my favourite RPG's:

Fun: Grandia
Battle System: Final Fantasy VII
Replay Value: Star Ocean 2
Story: Suikoden II
Gameplay: Final Fantasy VII
Music: .hack//G.U.
Characters: Suikoden II

Ryo Chan said:
Aion said:
Unnecessary thread. Do you have to post about Final Fantasy so much? I fail to see why this blatant Final Fantasy fanboyism couldn't have been put in another FF thread.

this has gotta be the greatest quote in the history of this forum

Aion moaning about an unnecessary thread :D

I believe the case is somehow deeper... Aion and CG seem to enjoy one of those Watanuki / Domeki friendship \^_^/

Ushio said:
Aion said:
Replay Value: Star Ocean 2
I know there were multpile endings, but replay? That game was long! :eek: (or was I just crap at it? :lol: )

SO2 is seriously an endless game. First of all, you need to play it at least twice to see everything due to there being two playable characters, resulting in a slightly different angle on the story and characters you can only recruit with one of the characters. There's also the 100's of private actions that are so easily to miss without a guide... Then there's the item creation system... Then there's getting to level 255... Then there's the VERY difficult coliseum... Then there's the mutli-levelled secret dungeon... Then there's the +10, near invincible version of the final boss... Then there's the stupid amount of different endings...

During one playthrough when I was younger, I somehow managed to activate the +10 version of the final boss through a string of fluke private actions. I was level 255, had the best equipment (including bunny shoes), yet I could never beat him. In truth, I didn't have too many attempts before giving up, but I know a near unbeatable boss when I see one.

Talking of SO2 memories, another memory has just surfaced: I was sure I managed to make Claude's ultimate weapon on the first disc. It should've been impossible and, annoyingly, I could never remember where I get the 2nd of one item needed to make it when I believe it's only possible to get 1 of them on the first disc.

an RPG should never recieve the title of best game ever; best story maybe; cinematic experience possibly. Best Game? Nah; if i want to play an interactive movie like many future one look like being (i'm looking at you Final Fantasy XIII) then i would go back to my sega cd.

RPG's have not changed since the beginning of time. The gameplay in many is identical, and it is only the fact that for many FF7 was their first proper rpg, and the fact that teen angst is shoved so far up this games ass that so many love it.

It's like halo; PC gamers know it isn't that good a FPS, but teh fact that for many it was there first real modern PC like FPS on a home console, that they gush over it and call it the best FPS ever. Go play Half Life or better yet HL2.

kurosaki86 said:
an RPG should never recieve the title of best game ever; best story maybe; cinematic experience possibly. Best Game? Nah.

I only like RPG's and fighting games... And know a lot of people who only play RPG's...

kurosaki86 said:
an RPG should never recieve the title of best game ever; best story maybe; cinematic experience possibly. Best Game? Nah; if i want to play an interactive movie like many future one look like being (i'm looking at you Final Fantasy XIII) then i would go back to my sega cd.

And you've played FFXIII, have you? :O

RPGs are not interactive movies. Having a good storyline and regular cutscenes doesn't make a game any less of a game. Did you know that most people took about 30 hours to complete FFVII (though you could spend 100+ hours on it, if you wanted to get everything). So, what exactly do you think people are doing for those 30 hours? Yes, that's right! They're playing the game. Most RPGs take so long to finish because there's so much game to play ;] I hate that idea of RPGs as nothing more than "interactive movies". I prefer my games with good stories, fantastic presentation and good cutscenes along with outstanding gameplay. Some of the best gameplay experiences I've had have been with RPGs (for example, FFXII, FFX, Dragon Quest VIII, Mario and Luigi 2 on DS, Kingdom Hearts II, Disgaea: Hour of Darkness, Pokémon etc. and, of course, FFVII). Don't dis the RPG! :p

RPG's have not changed since the beginning of time. The gameplay in many is identical, and it is only the fact that for many FF7 was their first proper rpg, and the fact that teen angst is shoved so far up this games ass that so many love it.

A common misconception! RPGs (and by "RPG", I mean Japanese RPG, western RPGs are totally different) have changed significantly. Play Final Fantasy I, and then go play Final Fantasy IV and then go play FFVI, and then try Grandia, then Valkyrie Profile, then go play FFXII ... I think you should notice a consistent change in RPGs through the ages.

That whole "people only liked FFVII because it has teen angst and it was their first RPG" is nonsense. FFVII is as extraordinarily popular as it is because it's a good game.

Aion said:
CG obviously sees Cloud as one of his own; an emu.

Cloud was not "an emo". I truly detest that word being used to describe game or anime characters. For the record, I'm not "emo" either, in fact, I rather dislike the whole emo thing :]

CitizenGeek said:
Cloud was not "an emo". I truly detest that word being used to describe game or anime characters. For the record, I'm not "emo" either, in fact, I rather dislike the whole emo thing :]

Becasue you're an emo ;) they never admit it...

Lupus Inu said:
I've played I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, Dirge of Cerberus, VIII, IX, X, X-2, XI, XII, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance and Final Fanatasy Legends.

Seems I'm the bigger Final Fantasy fan. >___>

Indeed, you are! Also, it makes all the criticisms you have for the series rather hard to swallow. If FF is as bad a series as you consistently make it out to be, why have you played all 12 of the games, as well as 3 spin-offs. Getting a hold of all of those games would take a lot of effort ... so you obviously do like Final Fantasy, but you've just hopped on the "Final Fantasy sucks! (because it's popular! >:/) bandwagon. Thanks for clearing that up.

chaos said:
Becasue you're an emo ;) they never admit it...

Whatever suits you ;]

CitizenGeek said:
For the record, I'm not "emo" either, in fact, I rather dislike the whole emo thing :]

emu.jpg

Confess!

I have not played Final Fantasy VII. :oops:

But i have played Final Fantasy 8,9,X,X-2 & XII. :D

My Best Final Fantasy game is FF9. <3

I've played all ps / ps2 FF, got me a game cube for crystal chronicles, and played III on DS. Still have to get revenant wings...

FF IX was my first, so I don't like FF VII because it was my first decent RPG...

BTW - my favourite RPG is Chrono Trigger, Zelda - wind waker has got to be the second, diablo II - the third place...

Final fantasy 7 is one of my favourite games of all time. Unlike a lot of people I know I really appreciated Final fantasy 8 aswell. I thought the storyline and character development were very good so I liked it. Draw system sucked though. 9 was a very good game despite finding it much easier than the others it was a great game overall. 10 was also very good. X-2 was spice girls with ******* guns, 11 is online and too time consuming and 12 was good but you can get kind of overwhelmed and lost I found.

Back