Final Fantasy Party

Doberman Pharaoh said:
There's an FF VIII remake?

AWESOME, my favourite game in the series. :D

Actually, No FF8 remake. And its the worse FF game in the series, anyway. Because No MP made the game a less FF feel and Laguna sucks.

FFIV DS? Whilst it's shame to see them remaking the damned game AGAIN (PS1, Wonderswan Colour, GBA and DS makes four remakes...), at least they're promising to do a proper remake this time. I'm happy to have not wasted money on getting the GBA version. FFIV is a bit meh in places (hopefully in their story tweaking, they'll stop having every side character fake death as a pretence for adding a new character in, and write a bit more dialogue for OMG KAIN IS EVIL oh, he's good again OH NOES! HE'S EVIL AGAIN!)

Also begrudgingly happy that this will doubtlessly be a trend towards a FFV and FFVI remake. By the time the FFVI remake comes around, I will have long since forgotten my playthrough of the GBA version (shame about the pirated cart)... also been a while since I played FFV...

The state of FF is a sad thing... I'm interested in these PROPER remakes, and the Tactics games, but the whole FFVII / XII / XIII sub-franchise thing can take a leap off a cliff. FF cannot keep Cid alive with Yummy Fish.

There are quite a few good Final Fantasy games, but they need to stop milking the franchise. I've lost that little flurry of excitement I used to get whenever a new FF game got announced now.

Possibly because such a thing happens every week.

I quite liked the FFIV remake. I paid for it and was happy to, the extra dungeons were good, the cleaned up story was good. It was a good game and a decent remake.

Doberman Pharaoh said:
I quite liked the FFIV remake. I paid for it and was happy to, the extra dungeons were good, the cleaned up story was good. It was a good game and a decent remake.

How can you pay for it when FFIV remake isn't even out yet...

And I agree, Lupus Inu. Fake killing the characters was a lame excuse for bringing in new ones. And the Villains sucked, badly.

Okay I just want to clear up a few things because people seemed to have kicked up a storm of wrong information. Firstly as far as I'm aware there has been no announcement regarding a Final Fantasy VIII re-make of any kind, in fact you're more likely to see a Final Fantasy VII re-make than anything else at the moment. Secondly, the reason why Final Fantasy XII felt like a mix between an MMORPG and a normal RPG is because the game was actually originally designed to be the next MMORPG, but was later changed into a single player game. Yes, a Final Fantasy IV re-make was announced at the Square Enix party.

Also, people can't really complain about a Final Fantasy game not feeling like a Final Fantasy game. Final Fantasy XII was different, yes. But looking back in time, don't you think Final Fantasy VIII was a very different style for the company back then? You're forgetting that the franchise is always different and the only thing that truly remains the same is the name of the game and the developer, unless it's a sequel of course. Everyone here will have a Final Fantasy game they probably love, and another they probably hate, this is normal because each game is very different and as long as one of them appeals to you, everyone is happy.

I think what the difference between ff12 and the others was a lot.

The battle system even ff8 stuck with the turn based random battles though it was a whole new way to customize and create different strategies.

The colors i noticed a lot of the time it was a very dark and shaded unlike the rest which were bright colorful most of the time ff12 you spent a lot of time in dungeons,forests and swamps etc very dark.

Instead of you control your 6-9 heroes to defeat the main antagonistic who you are stopped along the way via his minions.You play a back seat rather viewing the battle of all the kingdoms fight the evil empire and even midway through the game you are hardly acknowledged.Not until the end do you get noticed and have to defeat the main boss bad guy.

Not to mention the grid which was a good concept though it ended up making the chacters feeling very unindividualized,the summons instead of being power houses in a lot of cases weren't really needed.
I can go on and on but the whole

Plus the fact you have different races which is quite unusual...well in most games,the moogle looks,the way you kill of colored chocobo's,the list goes on.

The development team made a lot of changes to our original final fantasy look which depending upon personal opinion can be seen better or worse.

all i know is that all this FF games, re-makes and other spin-offs are really starting to piss me off.
i hope that new game Square is working on will be good (i forgot the name)
they should end the FF Series with like FF 14 or 15.

and another thing they should do is friggin re-make Chrono Trigger....the awsomeness of good RPG game....and they should re-make or make a new Mario RPG.

I read something about they may look into chrono trigger remake but because of a few legal issues with some ex artists etc it won't be seen anytime soon at least.

Also apparently square reserved the domains ff14 and ff15 so i guess there not gonna let the franchise go anytime soon.

Besides it's only 1 year they will milk it for the 20th then probably focus on ff13 next year after all the hype.

Ninja Boy! said:
all i know is that all this FF games, re-makes and other spin-offs are really starting to piss me off.
Something I agree on, too.

Anyway, just to get conversation flowing more I wanted to bring up Final Fantasy: Dissidia. Based on some scans from a Japanese video game magazine it seems that the screenshots shown made the game seem like a beat'em up title featuring Final Fantasy characters.

The screenshot had Zidane from Final Fantasy IX fighting Kuja also from the same title. As you know, Dissidia is being developed for the Sony PSP, what are your thoughts on this and would you consider buying a Final Fantasy beat'em up game?

Nemphtis said:
The screenshot had Zidane from Final Fantasy IX fighting Kuja also from the same title. As you know, Dissidia is being developed for the Sony PSP, what are your thoughts on this and would you consider buying a Final Fantasy beat'em up game?
Did that gimmick work when they put Cloud in Ehergiz? Nope. I think the franchise is becoming one sore arsed cash cow.

Nemphtis said:
It's so hard not to succumb to this.

Hehe, I do think this event is called the "Square Enix Party" and not the Final Fantasy Party, thought the latter title probably suits it better!

I'm a massive, massive Square Enix fan, so this event has me glued to the internets waiting for whatever piece of information came out of the event! I'm really hyped for Dissidia and Crisis Core! And of course, I'm dying to get my hands on FF Tactics for PSP.

FFXIII is perhaps my most anticipated game ever, bar FFXII, maybe!

Nemphtis said:

You know, the funny thing is, I saw this coming.

CitizenGeek said:
And of course, I'm dying to get my hands on FF Tactics for PSP.
I'm interested... but I hear there is major slowdown in the game. Quite ridiculous when people can emulate the original with no such problems...

It also seems like they're messing with the original story a fair bit with all the additions. Hope they don't go too far to unify 'Ivalice' for yet another one of their stinking cash-cow franchises.

kupoartist said:
CitizenGeek said:
And of course, I'm dying to get my hands on FF Tactics for PSP.
I'm interested... but I hear there is major slowdown in the game. Quite ridiculous when people can emulate the original with no such problems...

It also seems like they're messing with the original story a fair bit with all the additions. Hope they don't go too far to unify 'Ivalice' for yet another one of their stinking cash-cow franchises.

I really don't mind Square Enix milking the FF franchise because every spin-off/remake/port I've played that is supposedly just a "shameless cash-in" has been very, very enjoyable and I'd rather have lots of Final Fantasy than one game every 2 or 3 years (or in FFXII's case, 5 years!).

I think the slowdown issue with FFT PSP isn't that much of a problem, from the videos I've seen, it doesn't seem to get in the way at all.

Have you played the original game?

Back