Everybody Loves Jerome

Yeah I saw Jeromes tweets re: this and wondered if there was something more to it than curiosity, like was he:

- annoyed that AoT OVAs are being released when the original series is their property?
- annoyed that somehow anime is getting released without going through BBFC?

britguy said:
Yeah I saw Jeromes tweets re: this and wondered if there was something more to it than curiosity, like was he:

- annoyed that AoT OVAs are being released when the original series is their property?

It read more as curiosity to me, but my first thought was: Is he gonna be a dick and dob Kodansha in?

However, I also read the Annercy announcement as being related to his AoT tweets and nobody else did, so my judgement is clearly impaired.

Buzz201 said:
britguy said:

It read more as curiosity to me, but my first thought was: Is he gonna be a dick and dob Kodansha in?

However, I also read the Annercy announcement as being related to his AoT tweets and nobody else did, so my judgement is clearly impaired.

I actually did too, as one of the other ways of reading in to things, looking in to season 2 or if they're looking to actually license the OVAs themselves for a home video release.

britguy said:
I actually did too, as one of the other ways of reading in to things, looking in to season 2 or if they're looking to actually license the OVAs themselves for a home video release.

Funimation's Justin Rojas made a comment on his most recent ANNCast implying they already had the rights to season 2. And, as nice as Andrew Partridge may be, I can't see AL passing that one to Animatsu or Manga.

The OVAs would be good pull for Animatsu. I'd go for it, especially if they could clear blu-ray.

MOD EDIT - ORIGINAL POST FOR REF:
Jerome:
Crunchyroll, Funimation Announce Partnership to Share Content Via Streaming, Home Video, EST http://po.st/Kurq0I via @po_st #Funiblinked

User #1:
Whats your thoughts? i wanna talk about it, but something bugs me

Jerome:
It's called a virtual monopoly. It'll **** up a bunch of studios and will speed up the demise of boxed product.

User #2:
Do you think the demise of the boxed product is inevitable? Is it a monopoly or a consolidation of power? Or both?

Jerome:
It's the insatiable demand, the impatience and the disruption of new technology. You can hardly argue that CR has carefully curated it's offering when it's trying o simulcast 45 series a season? It's overwhelming for fans. It makes them much more selective about ownership, but anime licensing is/was powered by box product sales. And those sales used to have long tail. SVOD does not generate the same revenue. Well! It has for the past several years as CR and Funi paid stupid money for licenses. Now the entire industry is dancing to one global platform's tune, but MGs will tumble.

User #3:
Around half of the ~40 simulcasts I watch per season I'd like to own, but most don't warrant expensive CEs.

Jerome:
I'm just bitter because CR don't reply to my emails. It's a great move by fans. It'll shake up the Japanese a bit.

User #4:
May I ask what MG means?

Jerome:
Minimum Guarantee. The advance. It's what you pay up font for tension. Japanese licensors only really expect to ever see one payment, especially with SVOD. Overages are when you recoup the advance and start paying percentages on top make a new anime series for $200K per episode and sell it to Funi or CR for global at same price. Then all the money you make in Asian territories is pure profit after marketing and other costs is deducted. This is what's been happening since 2013. Now that CR and Funi have united it means MGs can start coming down as they have no real competition. You think Netflix want to carry more than half a dozen series a season? Amazon only really cares about having anime exclusives in Japan. It's only a matter of time until they start gunning 4 Asian territories too. Piracy and the greed of the industry has birthed a monster.

Don't expect @funimationnow to last. I reckon it'll fold by this time next year. They entered the market too late. This JV shows they lost.

We've paid over seven figures in overages on half a dozen license. Manga has been a great license partner and yet we get treated pretty shabbily by a number of Licensors. I think we are a nuisance because we keep proving there is still a lot of value and volume of sales in DVD and Blu-Ray. SVOD Is great for poor quality anime and with over 200 seasons a year, there's an awful lot of poor anime out there.
-----

He does make it very hard to be sympathetic to him. Actual fans see this story and see a strong positive, Jerome of course has to be the one negative voice because its another way he's behind the times and its gonna hit his wallet.

Its hardly a monopoly. FuniRoll will be the largest catalogue of anime, but I still seriously doubt their buying power compared to Netflix and Amazon if either of those went into anime with any major stakes. Look at what happened to Funi when they did to make sure they got My Hero Academia. It pretty much wrecked them for the rest of that season if I remember right. On Funi and CRs end, its the sensible thing to do to compete in terms of SVOD which is where the audience is now.

And of course CR don't answer Jerome's emails. With his attitude to their business and people in general, why would they?

With CR and Funimation in a joint venture getting almost all of the anime each season, and both of them dealing effectively exclusively with Anime Limited for home media in the UK, how is it not a monopoly?

He does make it very hard to be sympathetic to him. Actual fans see this story and see a strong positive, Jerome of course has to be the one negative voice because its another way he's behind the times and its gonna hit his wallet.

Its hardly a monopoly. FuniRoll will be the largest catalogue of anime, but I still seriously doubt their buying power compared to Netflix and Amazon if either of those went into anime with any major stakes. Look at what happened to Funi when they did to make sure they got My Hero Academia. It pretty much wrecked them for the rest of that season if I remember right. On Funi and CRs end, its the sensible thing to do to compete in terms of SVOD which is where the audience is now.

And of course CR don't answer Jerome's emails. With his attitude to their business and people in general, why would they?

Can Jerome please just get fired from Manga UK/Animatsu already since it' clear he's an absolute moron when it comes to running them

With CR and Funimation in a joint venture getting almost all of the anime each season, and both of them dealing effectively exclusively with Anime Limited for home media in the UK, how is it not a monopoly?

Because while they may get the most, and it may squeeze out smaller streaming services, Amazon and Netflix are still in the game, even if they seem to be playing a different strategy.

Can Jerome please just get fired from Manga UK/Animatsu already since it' clear he's an absolute moron when it comes to running them

To be fair, its hard to fired from a company you own. If he were to leave the industry, I don't think anyone would shed a tear though. It does feel like he's mostly surviving on imports of Asian Cinema, and ironically enough RoosterTeeth's works, whose videos are distributed first through streaming services, and especially RT's own SVOD service.

Even still th
It was during Jerome's absence that two blu-ray only releases were cancelled in favour of DVD-only, and that the standalone Naruto movie 5 blu-ray was cancelled in favour of a pentalogy collection.
Like him or not, he is definitely a force for good within Manga UK.

Even still he needs to get kicked out simply because of his "online streaming will kill us" ******** that he honestly believes in. And I apologise for the language, but people like him really grind my gears legit. How can anyone believe that is beyond me

There was a period between Jerome leaving Manga UK and him buying Manga UK that they were releasing very shoddy products. To be fair, that was happening to the tail-end of his tenure there as well. It may have been because the US owners got more and more involved to my understanding.

Like him or not, he is definitely a force for good within Manga UK.

That may be taking it a bit to far. Just because their products aren't **** awful doesn't make him good. Adequate at best I'd say.

It wasn't actually him that bought Manga UK, he just has shares with voting powers in the company now. Prior to that, all he could do was give Starz his opinion and then they could just ignore him and do what they want to releases, which is essentially why he quit. In the fight for blu-ray releases, he was on the side in favour but couldn't do anything about it aside from go and start his own company, Animatsu.

It wasn't actually him that bought Manga UK, he just has shares with voting powers in the company now. Prior to that, all he could do was give Starz his opinion and then they could just ignore him and do what they want to releases, which is essentially why he quit. In the fight for blu-ray releases, he was on the side in favour but couldn't do anything about it aside from go and start his own company, Animatsu.

Silly @Jaysgba, didn't you get the memo? Jerome is anime satan.

He has never done anything positive for the industry ever, and his contributions are worthless. /s

Silly @Jaysgba, didn't you get the memo? Jerome is anime satan.

He has never done anything positive for the industry ever, and his contributions are worthless. /s
How silly of me @Buzz201 . Allow me to repent for my sins.

All anime should only be available in Collector's Editions, with a minimum SRP of £59.99, but don't even think about including those nice extras that the US releases get. Nope, not even the OVAs. If anyone doesn't want to pay those prices, they can go and stream it instead. If they want to watch it when the release is out of print and it's not streaming anymore, they should've had more disposable income when the Collector's Edition was available.

To be fair, its hard to fired from a company you own. If he were to leave the industry, I don't think anyone would shed a tear though. It does feel like he's mostly surviving on imports of Asian Cinema, and ironically enough RoosterTeeth's works, whose videos are distributed first through streaming services, and especially RT's own SVOD service.
The RoosterTeeth partnership surprises me since they (with the exception of Lazer Team) release everything for free (RvB, RWBY, etc) which we know Jerome hates due to his "online distribution will kill us" BS he believes in

Nobody is saying any of that, and Jerome has a rather large black mark against him for actively blocking me from watching one of the shows I wanted to watch in recent memory, no matter how much I would have hypothetically paid to do so. But ok.

Some of the comments about Manga UK and Jerome are certainly a bit OTT (the guy isn't personally responsible for every terrible Manga decision in the history of time, and he is human - asking for him to lose his job is taking it too far) but I don't think it's even slightly irrational for fans to have a problem with the guy given how outspoken he can be about, well, actively interfering with our access to anime. As an anime distributor.

R

The RoosterTeeth partnership surprises me since they (with the exception of Lazer Team) release everything for free (RvB, RWBY, etc) which we know Jerome hates due to his "online distribution will kill us" BS he believes in

I don't agree that online distribution will necessarily kill them, but the RWBY blu-rays did sell significantly better than pretty much all of their anime blu-rays in the same period, did they not? Therefore, I do believe it is possible that online distribution could have enough of an impact upon the sales of some of the anime titles that they are currently able to release.

Back