Emma (English dub) previews and discussion

Yes, but is it good? Also yes, to my ears anyway.
I have a major problem with that stereotype and it sounded average at best to me faking british accents when British actors are around just really really annoys as its just being cheap. Not wanting the best its just being cheap. And we all saw how americans related to XBC2, and Welsh accents rip me
I mean, it is, but at the same time, you're talking upper-class Victorian London. Not sure what else I'd expect?
Oh I bet Emma sounds posh too and she is a maid they all think we sound like that which is kinda offensive. Because RP can F off.

I have a major problem with that stereotype and it sounded average at best to me faking british accents when British actors are around just really really annoys as its just being cheap. Not wanting the best its just being cheap. And we all saw how americans related to XBC2, and Welsh accents rip me

Oh I bet Emma sounds posh too and she is a maid they all think we sound like that which is kinda offensive. Because RP can F off.

It's a stereotype that is probably quite accurate for the time period? At least as far as the upper-classes go. We'll have to wait and see how they treat people such as the maids and the like. You're probably right, but I'll at least give them the benefit of the doubt.

Oh I bet Emma sounds posh too
I bet she's cockney. The only accents that exist over here according to Americans are cockney and RP.
I read her bio on MAL, she was an orphan that grew up on the streets (doesn't say which city, but I'm guessing London) so probably shouldn't have a posh voice.

I am welsh myself the rip me is due to how Americans reacted to Nia in xbc2
Not to be rude but there's probably a good portion of Americans who couldn't point out which country Wales is if you showed them a map; they likely tend to think of the whole of the UK as "England". Like @D1tchd1gger said, the only accents they generally tend to associate with the UK are Cockney (and possibly Scottish), so in the interests of pandering to possibly what could be regarded as "fanservice" (wasn't the likes of "Downtown Abbey" popular over there?). Apparently, Americans just love a good, Queen's English accent, which is why they fawn over Benedict Cucumberbatch!

Stereotypes are annoying, yes, but I guess for making something "instantly recognisable" to certain demographics, it will be used as a tool.

These are just my views and opinions by the way.

Decided to down grade my pledge to the standard blu-ray only as it seems the season 2 stretch goal isn’t going to be reached. No point having a box with a space for a season that might never come.

I can tell I'm going to dislike this dub. Honestly would it have really killed Nozomi to actually cast English actors!? Genuinely I really think if they weren't willing to do that then they shouldn't have bothered. Mr Grayson here is the same VA for Joey Wheeler and Michaelangelo , hardly my first choice for upper classman in Victorian London. Pathetic frankly.

Why not use the studio that did those Wii RPGs?

Not to be rude but there's probably a good portion of Americans who couldn't point out which country Wales is if you showed them a map; they likely tend to think of the whole of the UK as "England". Like @D1tchd1gger said, the only accents they generally tend to associate with the UK are Cockney (and possibly Scottish), so in the interests of pandering to possibly what could be regarded as "fanservice" (wasn't the likes of "Downtown Abbey" popular over there?). Apparently, Americans just love a good, Queen's English accent, which is why they fawn over Benedict Cucumberbatch!

Stereotypes are annoying, yes, but I guess for making something "instantly recognisable" to certain demographics, it will be used as a tool.

These are just my views and opinions by the way.

Just to counterpoint to this but Game of Thrones is full of a wide array of British and Irish accents and the show is mega popular obviously so while I tend to agree with what your saying I definitely still think they could have done more variation

They found their Eleanor too.
Her voice does sound a little deep considering the age of the character, but this is just an audition and it's possible the VA will lighten the voice when it comes time to record.

I can tell I'm going to dislike this dub. Honestly would it have really killed Nozomi to actually cast English actors!? Genuinely I really think if they weren't willing to do that then they shouldn't have bothered. Mr Grayson here is the same VA for Joey Wheeler and Michaelangelo , hardly my first choice for upper classman in Victorian London. Pathetic frankly.

Why not use the studio that did those Wii RPGs?
His previous roles have nothing to do with his suitability for this one, why would you even bring that up? On the contrary, it shows his range.
Really? A production that's using no less then three dialect coaches is more pathetic then someone whining about a dub whose just released two 10 second clips from an audition tape. Whatever you say.

Last edited:
It's been confirmed that Jessica Calvello will be playing Eleanor and they've given an answer to those complaining her voice might be too deep.

Some of you guessed it: Eleanor is Jessica Calvello! As many of you mentioned, the initial voice that you heard in the clip is, in fact, low for the character. This was because in the audition she didn't have any real background on the character. However, Jessica really nailed the feel of Eleanor and she's an extremely talented actress who will have no problem raising the pitch of her voice to match the younger Eleanor.

Here's a short note from our Dubbing Director, Joe DiGiorgi:

Hi everyone! I wanted to leave a message because I've been reading the feedback on the threads here regarding our initial cast picks.

There are many rolls that are going to be auditioned, and we will have a very high level of scrutiny about dialect. The audition sheets that were sent out were preliminary sheets sent to a handful of people I was pretty sure had the dialect chops and acting skills. They worked off of a simple audition sheet created quickly. They had no preview of the character from the show itself visually or audio wise; they only had a brief printed description. The reason it was done this way was so that we could have some people cast in role to share with you before this Kickstarter was complete, and so needed to send this out as soon as possible. The dialect coach, Right Stuf, and I all knew, after listening to the selected reads, it would work going forward. Yes, there will be tonal adjustments! We've only just begun. I can assure you that this dub is going to be great, and I always try to maintain consistency in tone and character to the original Japanese. I just want you to know that I hear you! The two leads and remaining cast will be very carefully selected.

Now let's try and get to the stretch goal so we can get the second season dubbed as well. Thank you for your support!

- Joe
Update 12: Eleanor Campbell is... · Let's Dub ALL OF Emma A Victorian Romance Anime TV Series

Last edited:
It's been confirmed that Jessica Calvello will be playing Eleanor and they've given an answer to those complaining her voice might be too deep.
They could have cast me - I've got a deep voice! 🤣

Personally, I have much respect for voice acting. The actors do an amazing job with the resources they have and when you factor in other stuff like potential time contraints, poor scripting/dialogue. I mean, these people are actors at the end of the day - they know their craft! They're not going to nail it every time, and like any artist, I'm sure they'd look back and think of how they might have done something differently. I'm sure they're aware that they're not going to please everyone as well, especially massively critical anime audiences! 😆

If anyone needs a deep man-voice for their production, call me! 👍

Back