Editorial: Naruto and The Future of the UK Anime Industry

After seeing a couple of episodes I can say, what is the point of even showing it. If it has to be that heavily edited then maybe they just shouldn't be airing a show that has 'so much adult content'. The edits were in fact, like other people have said, really poor is well. I could probably make better edits using Adobe Premiere.

I'm not really a fan of the show but really... this shouldn't be on Jetix.

Paul said:
It's regretful that Naruto has ended up on Jetix if the recent edits are anything to go by. At this point I'd rather it was on Rapture- long term, I honestly believe Naruto would end up more popular on their channel.
I think thats true, i thought Naruto might be successful on Jetix because it would be a little more gritty than the other things on the kids channels, and with it being on at 8 o'clock i thought it would allow that, but i guess not, it's a shame.
I'm still watching it, but who knows how long i can be bothered to watch all those increadible poor edits, shakey stills and complete changes in music between some of the edited scenes, i'm glad i've already watched it or i wouldn't know what was going on, but who knows, maybe the kids don't notice it, i know i was none the wiser about that kind of thing before i became more aware of anime

What I find funny about this is I was sitting directly behind Jetix at the London Expo. So I asked them if they were airing it uncut or not and they said yes, what a joke. Their sure to ruin the rest of the series. I might stop watching it, its too much. Some part don't even make sense anymore. When Naruto was supposed to stab his hand in todays episode It was airing in the US version with no blood. But in the Jetix version it is not, then Naruto mentions the Kunai he stabbed his hand with and were like what Kunai?! Jetix didn't show one. Also I love the fact that Kakashi has one clue, when they edited out the part were Naruto threw the Kunai at the Rabbit. Oh and Jetix are being idiots, if Toonami could show Dragonball Z at 5PM with mild blood and a ton of violence, being both kids channels Jetix should too. I dare say there edits are getting almost as bad the dreaded 4Kids. I was looking forward to it at first when I walked away happy after downloading the first few episodes of the US version last year to find the lesser edits. But Jetix? Wtf have they done here.

At the next London Expo if their there I'm having a word with them. Expecially after they lied to me.

yeah, he didnt say he stabbed himself though. he just said " i swear by this kunai", read my post, its a few up, it shows all the edit in todays ep, also i didnt notice this b4,
but they also edited where sasuke through the kunai in the middle of the shuriken to lock the chain, wtf??? why do it??? they must be TRYING to annoy us!!!

EDIT: oH! and the part where sasuke kicks the rogue ninja in the face!

EDIT: OH! and another part! where sakura hold up the kunai in defense when in the way of tazuna (trying to protect him from the rogue nin) man, this is becoming one piece all over again.

EDIT: and also when zabuza holds up his sword to gatou's neck, and then they also shortened his sword to make it not appear like he was being threatening to gatou

at the expo jetix DID say they were showing cut, but they sneakily didnt mention it wouldnt be the american cut

kriffix said:
yeah, he didnt say he stabbed himself though. he just said " i swear by this kunai", read my post, its a few up, it shows all the edit in todays ep, also i didnt notice this b4,
but they also edited where sasuke through the kunai in the middle of the shuriken to lock the chain, wtf??? why do it??? they must be TRYING to annoy us!!!

EDIT: oH! and the part where sasuke kicks the rogue ninja in the face!

EDIT: OH! and another part! where sakura hold up the kunai in defense when in the way of tazuna (trying to protect him from the rogue nin) man, this is becoming one piece all over again.

EDIT: and also when zabuza holds up his sword to gatou's neck, and then they also shortened his sword to make it not appear like he was being threatening to gatou

at the expo jetix DID say they were showing cut, but they sneakily didnt mention it wouldnt be the american cut

All these edits...sooo badly done. Oh and Jetix said to 'me' so I don't know what they told other people. They said yes when I asked them if they were airing uncut Naruto.

Oh my god.. The scene where Naruto stabs his hand is one of the turning points of the series. One of the turning points in Naruto's life, how the hell can they say that they aren't altering the experiance? Disgusting, worse than 4kids. And THAT's something. ******* horrible edits. **** you Jetix. **** you.

Broleta said:
**** you Jetix. **** you.

LMFAO
beautiful, just beautiful.
man thatt was funny. i have not seen the jetix version as (i have had the cable/sattalite taken of as nobody in the house watches much tv, lol, i'm mostly on the computer all day, lol)

but still those edits sound very horrible. and i absolutely love Naruto.
all i can say is oh well. shame, they spoiled such a good chance to show some quality anime.

i'v already got my naruto uncut dvd-box-set. and i'm happy with it. :p

Broleta said:
Oh my god.. The scene where Naruto stabs his hand is one of the turning points of the series. One of the turning points in Naruto's life, how the hell can they say that they aren't altering the experiance? Disgusting, worse than 4kids. And THAT's something. ******* horrible edits. **** you Jetix. **** you.

Indeed they are changing the experience, the edited Jetix version is ruined. However editswise I would go as far as almost as bad as 4Kids. They would remove a hell of a lot more.

am i the only one who doesnt have a problem here
ok so jetix are adding more edits to a already editted program but in the end of the day it is a kids channel. if dont want to see it editted dont watch it and if you want to watch the uncut version buy it.
in the end of the day i would prefer to have the cut version to nothing and at least you have something to look forward to on the dvd release.

If you can say that whilst reading that Naruto's own actions concerning his own wrongs is cut, then something is clearly wrong with you and/or your a patriot (In the MGS context).

Creating Context my ass.

ardish said:
ok so jetix are adding more edits to a already editted program but in the end of the day it is a kids channel. if dont want to see it editted dont watch it and if you want to watch the uncut version buy it.
in the end of the day i would prefer to have the cut version to nothing and at least you have something to look forward to on the dvd release.
I don't give a damn about myself watching it, I'm going to buy the uncut DVDs, and I have fansubs until then, but what I do care about is Naruto doing well in this country, and it certainly won't with this bastardised version. I would also like to be able to wear a Naruto T-Shirt or something in public without looking like a fan of a pre-school cartoon.

To be honest, all of those complaining are doing so simply because it differs slightly from the uncut Japanese version. It is far and away from being a hack of the series such as Sailor Moon, Cardcaptors or One Piece and at least maintains the same story. You simply have to accept the fact that what can be shown on British TV is not the same as can be shown in Japan or the US and get on with other things.

I don't think this will severely damage Naruto as an anime for anyone who has not seen the original and it will be enjoyed by many who would otherwise have never heard of it.

Still, such a reaction was bound to happen from community such as Naruto fans, which seems to become very polarized at the slightest twitch. I like Naruto myself but I don't think it is quite worth getting so worked up over how it is shown on TV as has been displayed around the UK fan community. Live with it; get over it and don't ruin the party for others.

Gawyn said:
To be honest, all of those complaining are doing so simply because it differs slightly from the uncut Japanese version. It is far and away from being a hack of the series such as Sailor Moon, Cardcaptors or One Piece and at least maintains the same story. You simply have to accept the fact that what can be shown on British TV is not the same as can be shown in Japan or the US and get on with other things.

I don't think this will severely damage Naruto as an anime for anyone who has not seen the original and it will be enjoyed by many who would otherwise have never heard of it.

Still, such a reaction was bound to happen from community such as Naruto fans, which seems to become very polarized at the slightest twitch. I like Naruto myself but I don't think it is quite worth getting so worked up over how it is shown on TV as has been displayed around the UK fan community. Live with it; get over it and don't ruin the party for others.
I dunno, the party was sullied by the fact that Jetix did NOT say anything up untill Zero Hour + 3.

And I call BS on that "can't be shown" nonsence, if that's the case, explain Evangelion, that had children being abused by thier parents (or a child being abused by a parent), said child being thrashed allover the place, him having an emplied erection (magma diver) and all this before 12pm in the afternoon?

It's a wonder no one went ape **** then.

Conan-san said:
And I call BS on that "can't be shown" nonsence, if that's the case, explain Evangelion, that had children being abused by thier parents (or a child being abused by a parent), said child being thrashed allover the place, him having an emplied erection (magma diver) and all this before 12pm in the afternoon?
Difference being that that wasn't aired on a channel specifically aimed at kids. They might have different rules for that sort of thing.

They used to show pretty much uncut episodes of the X-Files on Sky One in the mornings. I remember they showed the scene where Mulder was being tortured and mutilated by aliens at about 9am. I thought tthat was odd..

Lol differs slighty?

Episode 1:
U.S intro Rise was cut

- The Ninja getting knocked backwards by the Kyuubi was cut

- The Hokage's pipe was zoomed in so you couldn't see it

- The camara panning up Iruka after he got hit by the Kunai's was cut

- The scene where Iruka got hit by the Shuriken was cut

- Many frames of Iruka still with the Shuriken impaled in him was zoomed in so you couldn't see him

- The part where Iruka pulled it out chucked the shuriken at Mizuki was cut

- The scene where Mizuki was charging at Iruka was cut

- The frame and quote where Naruto said "I'll kill you" was cut

- The entire scene where the Hokage tells the ninjas that Naruto will be back safely was cut

Episode 2:

- Surprise surprise, Jetix's freeze frame camera has broken because you can see the images shacking now.

- The Hokage's pipe edited when he's talking to Naruto about his photo.

- The camara panning up the Sexy Jutsu image has been made so fast you cant see anything.

- The Scene where the Hokage gets effected has been changed to him facing Naruto sitting on his chair?

- The entire scene where the Hokage is lying on the floor has been cut,

- The scene where the Hokage has a tissue near his nose has been changed to a pan up of his face.

- A mirror image of Naruto is stupidly added in for no reason?

- Another mirror image of Konohamaru charging at the Hokage is added in aswell?

- The sound effect of Naruto's punch hitting Konohamaru has been silenced.

- A awful jumpy freeze frame is added about the Hokage worrying that Naruto will teach Konohamaru bad things.

- The scene where Naruto and Konohamaru see two girls in Bikini's inside the magazine has been cut.

- Konohamaru's 2nd Sexy Jutsu pose has been freeze framed to the top half only, no panning up at all.

- More freeze frames of the Hokage's face are used from early clips of this episode when he's talking about Naurto.

- When Konohamaru posed at Ebisu the panning up of the Sexy Jutsu pose has been cut.

- The backside of Konohamaru's Sexy Jutsu pose has been shortened.

- The real surprise is that when Naruto did his Sexy Jutsu post, it's been put into 8 different tiny squares of 8 different poses?

- The scene where all of the Sexy Jutsu clones gather around Ebisu has been cut.

- 3 frames of Naruto, Konohamaru, and the Hokage have been added together.

- A few frames of Ebisu hitting the ground has been shortened.

- The Hokage's pipe and frames have been changed from an earlier clip.

- The outro credits now change the Hokage with the pipe image into Naruto posing for his passport photo???

Rating for todays ep 2/10 *All I can say is WTF*

Episode 3:

- As expected Asuma's ciggarette has been edited out.

- A freeze frame of the camara panning over the other Jounins has been added to not show the Hokage with his pipe.

- Asuma's ciggarette has been edited again when the Hokage is talking to them.

- Near the end where Kakashi says "So this is where Naruto lives" the camara freezes while zooming up to Naruto's house.

- A zoom up of Kakashi is shown covering the left side of the Hokage's face and of course his pipe.

- The scene where Naruto is moaning with his eyes closed before he says "Am I going to spend my entire life on pot" is cut.

- The outro credits now change the Hokage with the pipe image into Naruto and Sasuke staring at each other *Before the kiss*

Episode 4:

The scene where Naruto gets the Kunai out of his pocket is cut.

- When Naruto's face is charging over the screen the point of the Kunai has been deleted.

- The frame of Naruto charging has been zoomed in so the Kunai can't be seen.

- A freeze frame has been used with the camera panning over of Kakashi holding Naruto's arm backwards.

- For the first time ever the Hokage's face has been shown in full, then again it's because he wasn't smoking a pipe in this episode.

- In the scene where Sakura was comenting on Kakashi's handsign the quote when she said "He could destroy Naruto with that" was cut.

- Kakashi's Leaf Village Secret Finger Jutsu was left in but...

- His "One thousand years of death" quote has been muted.

- A freeze frame was used to stop Sasuke reaching into his pocket.

- In Kakashi's flashback of what Naruto said to Mizuki in episode 1, once again Naruto's quote "I'll Kill You" is cut.

- When the Naruto's punched the other Shadow Clones, the scene where one punched his face sideways was cut.

- The real messed up scene was when Sasuke went beserk on Kakashi, but since their's more to it... I'll explain what happens in full.

- Once Sasuke says "This is my chance" the scenes where he grabs out 8 shuriken's and cucks them from the tree is cut.

- The scene where Kakashi says "Now where were we" and gets hit by the 8 shuriken's and gets smacked sideways... with a pinning sound effect is cut.

- After the scene where Naruto says "Ahh he just got blasted..." the part where he said "By 8 shurikens" was cut.

- The outro credits now replace the Hokage with the pipe image, into Sasuke Sakura and Naruto facing the screen.

- I already know the Jetix shortened the next episode preview, since the music jumps halfway ^^;

Episode 5:

- Once Sasuke says "This is my chance" the scenes where he grabs out 8 shuriken's and cucks them from the tree is cut.

- The scene where Kakashi says "Now where were we" and gets hit by the 8 shuriken's and gets smacked sideways... with a pinning sound effect is cut.

- After the scene where Naruto says "Ahh he just got blasted..." the part where he said "By 8 shurikens" was cut.

- The scene where Sakura saw an injured Sasuke in her illusion was cut.

- Instead Sasuke's quote "Sakura please help me" was used when the screen zoomes up to Sakura's eye ball.

- Jetix finaly allow Sasuke to throw his Shuriken's and Kunai's at Kakashi in full *No zooming in or freeze frames at all*

- When Sakura wakes up and remembers what she saw, the left side of her face has been kept black... because it showed the injured Sasuke illusion.

- When Kakashi pinned Sasuke down a freeze frame was used yet the screen keept moving as the original did.

- Another freeze frame is used showing Sasuke pinned down again.

- And when Kakashi was explaining about team work, a letter box format with a jumpy freeze frame was covering Kakashi stepping on Sasuke's head.

- Kakashi's threat to tell Sakura that he's going to kill Sasuke is cut, yet you still see the shocked look on her face for 1 second.

- The K.I.A *Killed In Action* scene was left in full with no edits what so ever.

- The ending credits now change the Hokage with the pipe image, into a moving frame of Naruto tied to a rope and Sakura looking forward *Very easy to notice*.

- It seems that Jetix don't care about the next episode previews now, because they skipped it straight to the "Next Time" part... WTF???

Episode 6:

- A freeze frame of Kakashi is used when the Hokage speaks to Team 7.

- The screen is split showing the left side of the Hokage's face on the right site, and Team 7 on the left side... which are censoring his pipe.

- 2 black lines are placed beside Iruka to censor the Hokage's face and pipe.

- A zoomed in frame of the Hokage's eyeball opening and closing from episode 2 is re-used when he was explaning the mission.

- A freeze frame of the scrolls is used when the Hokage explains what the different missions are.

- I find it funny that when the Hokage was explaining the ranks, Jetix didn't edit the image of the Hokage shown with the pipe in his mouth ^_^

- When the Hokage explans that Team 7 are given D Rank missions the screen is zoomed in to censor the pipe in his left hand.

- When the Hokage says he'll give Team 7 a C rank mission the frame of his eyeball opening and closing for ep 2 is used again.

- Before Tazuna comes in, the screen showing Naruto looking at the Hokage is freeze framed when he says "I will bring him in now".

- When Naruto remembers why the Hokage isn't that great, the flashback of him transforming is freeze framed, cutting the part where the Hokage gets effected by it.

- The chain of the Rain Ninja's being tied around Kakashi is cut.

- The entire scene where Kakashi gets torn into two is cut.

- The scene where Sasuke throws his Shuriken at the Rain Ninjas chains is shown, but the part where it hits the tree is cut.

- The scene where Sasuke grabs onto the 2nd rain Ninjas arm and kicks both of them in the head is cut.

- The scene of Naruto'a aiming at his hand with the kunai, and the screen zooms into it in a red colour... is cut.

- The scene where two drops of Naruto's blood drip onto the floor is cut.

- A freeze frame of Sasuke and Sakura is used, to censor the scene where Naruto lifted up his stabbed hand.

- Once Naruto says his speach ending with "Now lets go!" a freeze frame is used for a few seconds.

- After Naruto stabbed his hand, Jetix cut the part where Kakashi said "That wasn't very clever, if you don't cover that wound up you'll loose alot of blood"

- The scene where Naruto's face starts turning blue and sweat drops down it, with his hand going numb is cut.

- The entire part where Naruto goes ballistic and starts panicing and jumping around screaming his head off is cut.

- The scene where Kakashi walks up to Naruto and takes a look at his hand is cut.

- A freeze frame of Kakashi's face looking down, is used to censor Naruto's wound healing by itself.

- The scene where Zabuza's sword goes straight up to Gato's face really fast is cut.

- The ending credits now change the Hokage with his pipe image into a clip of Sasuke, Sakura and Naruto standing from episode 4 WTF???

Episode 7:

- When Tazuna explains who Gato is, the scene of the shadow cutting a person in two has been edited out of the red background... yet you still hear him scream.

- Jetix seem to not care about Naruto going reckless and attacking harmless bunnies, because they left that entire scene in?

- The scene where Sasuke trys to kill himself with his kunai is cut.

- The frame of Sasuke aiming the kunai at his chest is also cut.

- The scene where Zabuza cuts Kakashi's water clone in two with his sword is cut.

- In Zabuza's explanation on how Kakashi did it, the scene where Zabuza cut Kakashi's water clone in two is cut again.

- The scene where Kakshi moves the kunai up the Zabuza's kneck, has been freeze framed to him already holding it near his kneck.

- When Kakashi said "Don't move" Jetix laped over the BGM twice, silly them ^^;

- Another angle of him moving the kunai up to Zabuza's kneck, has been freeze framed to him already at his back and holding it already next to his kneck.

- The outro credits now change the Hokage with the pipe image into, a image of Naruto looking surprised.

~Creds to gokuden553 @ narutoforums for the list of edits.

Keep in mind these changes are being made to an already edited version of the original.

Broleta said:
Lol differs slighty?

To be fair those are no where near the level of the edits in the shows Gawyn mentioned. Shows like One Piece, Sailor Moon and Card Captor Sakura had much bigger editing problems than violence being removed. I mean Naruto may be heavily edited but episodes havent gone missing yet or episodes havent been merged together, characters names havent been changed, characters relationships to one-another havent been changed, characters personalites havent been rebuilt from scratch and the dialogue has a similar jist to the original.

Broleta said:
ardish said:
I don't give a damn about myself watching it, I'm going to buy the uncut DVDs, and I have fansubs until then, but what I do care about is Naruto doing well in this country, and it certainly won't with this bastardised version. I would also like to be able to wear a Naruto T-Shirt or something in public without looking like a fan of a pre-school cartoon.

TELL IT LIKE IT IS!!!
the reason im upset id not for selfish reasons, i just want others to enjoy it, and respect others who like something decent!!!
well anyways, iv decided to buy tons of anime shirts to promote anime/ get it shown, thnx 4 the idea!! lol!

well done for that wickid summary (although u forgot the part where tazuna's red cheeks were edited out, and the liquid was made clear)
(the kanji for sake has already been edited out in the american cut)

u shud totally list these up on a site sumwhere, people have the right to know!!!

people that arnt aware of what jetix has done will blame the american! thinking THEY done this. i think this is what jetix wanted.

Mangaminx said:
Broleta said:
Lol differs slighty?

To be fair those are no where near the level of the edits in the shows Gawyn mentioned. Shows like One Piece, Sailor Moon and Card Captor Sakura had much bigger editing problems than violence being removed. I mean Naruto may be heavily edited but episodes havent gone missing yet or episodes havent been merged together, characters names havent been changed, characters relationships to one-another havent been changed, characters personalites havent been rebuilt from scratch and the dialogue has a similar jist to the original.
Yes but those edits were made by the dubbing company, not a TV channel. At least the edits to One Piece look good. Jetix has to pixilate the screen and zoom into the Hokage's eyes every time he's on the screen. The only reason names haven't been changed is because Jetix has no control over that, that's VIZ's part, and may I add, what an awesome job they did on dubbing Naruto.

Back