Editorial: Naruto and The Future of the UK Anime Industry

sometime they change things for different places, since it is different publishers, so they want to do their own thing to it. (well this is my understanding)
and the menu for the uk naruto dvd has the (dub intro song playing in the background, you know that random rock style song) and has characters sweeping across with their names being shown.
well since this was a check disc, the background song could have been changed, but by no means does including the dub song for the menu's mean that it is not uncut.

Espy said:
Are they different? I assumed the DVDs would be exactly the same aside from the region.
Of the UK companies, Manga seem to be the only one who acutally design their own DVDs. They don't just rip it from the American releases! :D
Ninja Boy! said:
and the menu for the uk naruto dvd has the (dub intro song playing in the background, you know that random rock style song) and has characters sweeping across with their names being shown.
I like the way the characters kinda 'boing' up in time with the music, but when it sweeps it's kinda blurry and hurts my eyes. :shock: It is a cool menu though!

Ushio said:
Of the UK companies, Manga seem to be the only one who acutally design their own DVDs.
I'm 99% positive that MVM scan the actual US cover art and then just edit things using MSpaint.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Ushio said:
Of the UK companies, Manga seem to be the only one who acutally design their own DVDs.
I'm 99% positive that MVM scan the actual US cover art and then just edit things using MSpaint.
When a company gets a licence they receive a bunch of materials to work with, including approved art that they can use in their distribution. This can be modified slightly but each change must be approved by the licensor before it can go to press. This is the same for all the companies involved in the distribution of anime and is the reason that much of the cover artwork is the same on the UK versions as they are in the US since there is often a fairly limited set of images that can actually be used.

I meant because the picture quality of the cover artwork has often been extremely bad with MVM releases. A lot of the time like a bad scan job and in the case of ROD the TV it looks like they added the DVD titles in with wordart.

In any case, ep 1 reruned today and the edits stand out even worse when you concider that shaman king aired a whole hour and a half earlyer and got away with having threatened murder by scuicide.

And it's a 4kids dub to add insult to injury.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
I meant because the picture quality of the cover artwork has often been extremely bad with MVM releases. A lot of the time like a bad scan job and in the case of ROD the TV it looks like they added the DVD titles in with wordart.

reminds me alot about the love hina vols, especially on one of the spines, why does MVM have to make such stupid horrible mistakes.
also on the Gantz vol 2 dvd menu screen, i swear the pic of the guy standing (forgot his name) is misplaced, and the cursor that selects the stuff is mis-aligned.

such a great company at licensing but not that good on packaging/technical side.

Ninja Boy! said:
reminds me alot about the love hina vols, especially on one of the spines, why does MVM have to make such stupid horrible mistakes.
There's a Love Hina volume 1 in my local HMV and Naru and Keitaro have blue faces on the cover. I kid thee not.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Ninja Boy! said:
There's a Love Hina volume 1 in my local HMV and Naru and Keitaro have blue faces on the cover. I kid thee not.

wait a minute, i might have seen the same one
but from what i remember the whole print was bluey
what area you from?

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Ninja Boy! said:

There's one of them in HMV Glasgow. All the colours are inverted.

Ninja Boy! said:
what area you from?
Chesterfield. I guess it was just a messed up batch that got shipped around the country. Stillm that isn't their worst mistake to do with cover art... Check out the artwork on the Lain volume 4 disk. It's obvious they just slapped the cover art over it because they forgot to edit out a line of text that was on the cover and cuts off on the disk... it looks so cheap.

It's not inverted because that means the outlines would be white too. Maybe someone didn't fill up the printer with enough ink.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Ninja Boy! said:
what area you from?
Chesterfield. I guess it was just a messed up batch that got shipped around the country. Stillm that isn't their worst mistake to do with cover art... Check out the artwork on the Lain volume 4 disk. It's obvious they just slapped the cover art over it because they forgot to edit out a line of text that was on the cover and cuts off on the disk... it looks so cheap.

It's not inverted because that means the outlines would be white too. Maybe someone didn't fill up the printer with enough ink.

damn that sounds poor.
ah, i thought you were nearby my area lol. i live in London, Stratford.
still MVM needs some serious checkers on ther work....(sounds like a job opportinity, lol)

My two cents on Manga calling the DVD Naruto Unleashed:

I think they are consious of the fact that part of the market will be kids who have seen the TV series on Jetix (they explicitly mention the TV run on the box). Many of these kids will have their parents buy the DVD for them and Manga probably doesn't want to scare these parents off. 'Uncut' is kind of reminiscent of the video and DVD releases of violent horror films. 'Unleashed' doesn't have those connotations. Also the 'Contains scenes not on TV' will attract parents more than 'Now with the violent bits back in'.

Will Manga release boxsets, like a Series 1 Complete box set? I don't know much about Naruto and would like to see what the fuss is about but if they're just going to release a super-cheap boxset later on like everything else then I'd rather just wait.

EvilRedEye said:
My two cents on Manga calling the DVD Naruto Unleashed:

I think they are consious of the fact that part of the market will be kids who have seen the TV series on Jetix (they explicitly mention the TV run on the box). Many of these kids will have their parents buy the DVD for them and Manga probably doesn't want to scare these parents off. 'Uncut' is kind of reminiscent of the video and DVD releases of violent horror films. 'Unleashed' doesn't have those connotations. Also the 'Contains scenes not on TV' will attract parents more than 'Now with the violent bits back in'.

Will Manga release boxsets, like a Series 1 Complete box set? I don't know much about Naruto and would like to see what the fuss is about but if they're just going to release a super-cheap boxset later on like everything else then I'd rather just wait.
Dood, how can you call £1.50 an episdoe not cheap?

Well, whatever, Manga will fell it long before they hear/see it if it transpires that it's only the Toonami Edit, as awesomely close as it is. It would be like re-releaseing Legend of the overfiend and sending a copy to the News of the World to review and some parents to watch with thier kids.
In short it's a corperate scuicide.

Here's a scan of an add for Naruto boxset 1 from Neo magazine, confirms the thinpak design instead of the foldout card design for the R1 release. Thanx Starflower2525 for the scan 8)

Manga have added the cover for boxset 2 to their site.
mang5030nr4.jpg

Necromancer said:
Here's a scan of an add for Naruto boxset 1 from Neo magazine, confirms the thinpak design instead of the foldout card design for the R1 release. Thanx Starflower2525 for the scan 8)

Manga have added the cover for boxset 2 to their site.
mang5030nr4.jpg
What makes you say that is not a fold-out? Fold-outs often come in slip-cases to contain the folder, you know. Besides, the one I saw at the Manga stall didn't look like it contained thin-paks to me... We will know for sure soon enough I guess.

it is a thinpack
i saw the actual copy on display at Foribiden Planet Day before yesterday
all i saw was the case though (no actual inside content)
so i could be wrong, but judging fom the size, it looks like it could be t hinkpack, or some kind of Brick style dvd case.

I got a nice suprisse in the form of my order coming in today and I can conferm it's a Box n a box release (Think how they did Robotech and you'll get what I meen).

Stay tuned for more infos on actual content.

Back