Editorial: Naruto and The Future of the UK Anime Industry

Paul

Ghost of Animes
Administrator
<p>"Today sees probably the most important event the UK anime community has seen for many, many years; Naruto is launching on Jetix at 8pm. The glorious success or shameful failure of Naruto on UK TV will shape the future of the UK community- success means more anime on TV, more DVDs, more magazines, more fans, more everything; the unthinkable prospect of Naruto's failure will mark the end of the so-called "glory days" and see the UK community slump back into a decadent, poor-to-mediocre existence; an industry that scratches its living off of the hardcore DVD buyers. If Naruto fails to bring in the viewers for Jetix, you can forget about seeing anime on a high profile TV channel for a long time." [<a href="http://www.animeuknews.net/viewarticle.php?showarticle=43">Read the full editorial</a>]</p>

I've Sky+ed it as both Sky boxes are occupied.

Good editorial. I mean as you say this could mean great things for the UK anime industry. I urge Naruto fans and non-Naruto fans to at least tune their TV onto this show. I mean you may even enjoy it! I'm looking foward to finally watching the dub, actually. Not sure if I should be looking forward to it to be perfectly honest but we'll see.

Lemme just say telling Sky one thing and then doing another is NOT a good start.

Nether is a graveyard slot when two episodes of a lesser show air in that general block (Glactic Football) and a rerun precedes it (Black Hole High)

I don't want to put a sword in it, but the last time Jetix aired a show at this slot, Escaflownine no less, it floped.

Having seen this for the first time i'm a little disappointed, hearing the drones of the fans i would have thought it would be more than just generic non-sence. i'm sure it will rope in more people but will it capture them or will they all treat it like another Pokémon and personally thats what i think of it.

I think we still have some way to go before quality animé finds its way onto mainstream television.

I can't help but feel we're putting every hope we have on Naruto. Even considering I personally loathe the show, I've still got my fingers crossed. As far as anime on TV goes, Naruto is the proof of concept - that if you market the show properly, give it a reasonable timeslot and put it on a channel with a sizeable audience, it will be successful.

But part of me is worried about what happens if Naruto fails. This show has been setting the world alight, since it started airing in Japan. If something as huge as Naruto bombs here, what hope does anything else have?

Janus said:
Having seen this for the first time i'm a little disappointed, hearing the drones of the fans i would have thought it would be more than just generic non-sence. i'm sure it will rope in more people but will it capture them or will they all treat it like another Pokémon and personally thats what i think of it.

After watching the first dozen or so episodes, I felt the same way but if you have the patience, wait a while; Naruto takes a good 10-15 episodes to really find its stride but when it does, it becomes a fantastic and inventive action anime with some strongly resonant emotional moments.

aniki said:
But part of me is worried about what happens if Naruto fails. This show has been setting the world alight, since it started airing in Japan. If something as huge as Naruto bombs here, what hope does anything else have?

Exactly. That's what I'm worried about too, but Jetix will have to screw up something terribly to make Naruto into a flop. Speaking as someone who has seen the 56 episodes Jetix has licensed, I'm 99% that Naruto will go on to live up to its potential. It's just important that Jetix keep the faith if things start off a little rocky.

Paul said:
After watching the first dozen or so episodes, I felt the same way but if you have the patience, wait a while; Naruto takes a good 10-15 episodes to really find its stride but when it does, it becomes a fantastic and inventive action anime with some strongly resonant emotional moments.

Even so, 15 Episodes is alot to get started. Being blunt i guess i've just moved on from this kind of anime. Reminds me of those old days of Dragonball Z, but that was some time ago and you can only stay ten for so long...

NOOO!!! DID YOU GUYS SEE IT!???
ITS WORSE THAN THE AMERICAN VERSION!!!
FULL OF STILL IMAGES,NO BLOOD!!!, IRUKA@S GIANT SHURIKAN IN THE BACK IS GONE, iv seen the american version, its 10000 times better than this!!! ANOTHER UK CHANCE DOWN THE DRAIN!!!!
they even wont say "kill", they cut the part where he says "kill you" in it, a MAJORLY IMPORTANT SCENE!!!!
PAUL.PLEASE WRITE AN ARTICLE OR SOMETHING< THIS MUST BE HEARD!!!!

Indeed.

I just watched it now. I remember the first few episodes not being too good then after about 5 episodes I started watching 8 episodes a day (took me about a week to catch up with the current episode). It really is amazing, and I'm not usually a fan of long series, excluding a few.

Kriffix, Jetix probably cut the episode to the British 5pm standards. It is different to the American one. Saying this is completely speculation though...

It's a shame if Jetix really have cut it even more than the US versions- god knows how they will get through the end of the Zabuza arc.

It was basically the episode that aired in America + pieces cut out and still images inserted.
The series will look like a slideshow during the Zabuza arc.

ok now im more bummed about missing it, just to see the hilarious lameity of censoring! how many episodes did they show again?! hey broleta! u on the adult swim boards too?

man oh man, its like a slide show as it is, let alone the zabuza arc, there is major chunks missing that is essential for future.
its not just till images inserted, but dialogue taken out (and entrie pics taken out)
pluss a couple of scene where they r talking but the still images have no lips moving!
someone PLEASE write an article!
at the expo, jetix put on a big fat "its ok,smile" how dare they, its an insult, this was the U.K's big chance, and away to the brothel it went, to get used and taken advantage of by so many people (or in this case companies)

i think its on again tomorrow, so will try and catch it then. can't wait to see how crappy it is. its kinda hilarious sucky that we yet again got screwed.

its gonna take awhile for me to laugh at it, i thought the american version was so well done, so i had my hopes all the way up.
i didnt wanna become one of those sub-only people, but it seems im going that way for most shonen titles. sigh.

what are the OP and ED like? havent actually seen the american ones yet! then again the ED was the only one i liked at the start of the japanese one, the OP sucked!

Here it is.

It just confuses me why in american versions of shows they would rather use clips from the actual show rather than use clips from the already existing opening animation. Is it because they think if kids don't see none stop action in a title sequence they will think it will suck and turn it off?

the opening and ending is DBZ reminecent for me,
man, those jetix edits are really depressingm who's up for a boyycott? (I mean we are getting the uncut eps anyway)

Whether fans like the edited version or not it doesn't really matter as long as it is somewhat successful right? It could help bring the uncut DVD's out faster than they would without the Jetix promotion.

Lets wait and see how badly this effects other episodes before we get the pitchforks out. It's disappointing for sure, and I just hope it doesn't rob Naruto of its quality, fingers crossed it won't be as bad as we all fear.

Back