Editorial: Naruto and The Future of the UK Anime Industry

Oh god, I just got a mail back and it's like being blown off in new and (un)exciting ways.

Dear ???

Jetix UK aims to provide exciting and entertaining content for our audience whilst being a responsible kids broadcaster. We therefore must ensure the content of our programmes is suitable for our target audience and we follow strict OFCOM regulations to ensure that these standards are adhered to. Where certain content from the original has been deemed unsuitable for our younger viewers it has been edited from the version which Jetix will be broadcasting. These edits are subtle and we don’t believe alter the quality of the viewing experience. If Jetix fans in the UK wish to view the uncut version of Naruto Manga is releasing the DVD of the first 13 episodes, entitled Naruto Unleased, on 21 August. The next 13 episodes will be released on DVD at the end of November.

Kind regards

The Jetix UK team
For the record, I actualy put in a PS telling them I was aware of the uncut dvd release and that wasn't a viable solution to the problem.

Well, there you have it people, Anime UK TV meet mr Grim.

Rukario said:
Not really. =/

We still have Rapture TV to provide for us. Which they're doing rather well.
Fair point.

(but Mezzo over Mahoromantic? Rapture needs to expand by a day, I'm sure no one is going to miss "That film show" or "Cybernet" on the sunday)

I knew that was the response you'd probably get.

My money was always on Fullmetal Alchemist to give UK anime a push. It seems to be doing that pretty well.

Conan-san said:
(but Mezzo over Mahoromantic?)
Do you really think the general viewing public would have much chance of warming to Mahoromantic being the type of show it is? Even though I don't think to highly of Mezzo it'll probably get more regular views that Mahoromantic would have.

You seem to being looking at this as a fan that wants to see what a fan want. No wonder you're so pissed off.

It was a small point, but point to you, i'm backing off on that one...

Anyway, so, we're kinda buttfuged as far as Naruto is concerned so there goes that topic.

Yeah, they probably wanted to air a shorter series so they could start airing two new fresh series at around the same time when FMA ends.

Maybe they'll even get hold of the FMA movie sometime in the future. They've said they'll start showing anime movies soon. Who knows. :)

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Yeah, they probably wanted to air a shorter series so they could start airing two new fresh series at around the same time when FMA ends.
um...then they should of aired another 26'er...or maybe they're aiming for two 13'ings.

Maybe my dream of King of Bandit Jing on UK TV isn't far away after all :D (J/K, I ahve the dvds anyway and the orgional manga, don't care much for "Twilight Tales")

Really? I haven't been keeping up with FMA on TV(I don't like the dub and collect the US DVD's) but I thought they were in the early 40's of airing it.

WTFDaveMustaine said:
Really? I haven't been keeping up with FMA on TV(I don't like the dub and collect the US DVD's) but I thought they were in the early 40's of airing it.
um, around the mid 30s at the last count, Al called the next one 38 in the preview.

Conan-san said:
WTFDaveMustaine said:
um, around the mid 30s at the last count, Al called the next one 38 in the preview.
Oh, well that's not too bad. There will only a be about a 6 or 7 episode gap since Mezzo's been airing for a few week now.

Conan-san said:
WTFDaveMustaine said:
um...then they should of aired another 26'er...or maybe they're aiming for two 13'ings.

Maybe my dream of King of Bandit Jing on UK TV isn't far away after all :D (J/K, I ahve the dvds anyway and the orgional manga, don't care much for "Twilight Tales")
They stated fairly clearly that they wanted a 13 part show as filler over the slower summer months to lead into a longer running "big" show thereafter. No details on what this big show is at the moment of course and they did also state that the Mezzo deal came with some ADV feature-lengths, which they will air at some point.

Gawyn said:
Conan-san said:
WTFDaveMustaine said:

They stated fairly clearly that they wanted a 13 part show as filler over the slower summer months to lead into a longer running "big" show thereafter. No details on what this big show is at the moment of course and they did also state that the Mezzo deal came with some ADV feature-lengths, which they will air at some point.
If one of them is boogiepop & friends hen for the win.

Could do with avoiding Nadesico: Prince Of Darkness...I wonder how many they got? I dun mind ADV having that many anime movies.

Rapture are also working on a magazine-style TV show dedicated to anime (and I assume, general Japanese culture and manga) in the same manner as their in-house G@mers production.

In many ways anime is better off with a smaller channel like Rapture. They may not have the high picture quality and automatic audience of other digital channels (like Jetix), but they are at least determind to work with their anime and generate interest in the genre as a means of generating interest in themselves. There are no expectations from smaller channels like Rapture, compared with corporations like Disney, and I assume they are able to get away with a lot more as a result.

It's regretful that Naruto has ended up on Jetix if the recent edits are anything to go by. At this point I'd rather it was on Rapture- long term, I honestly believe Naruto would end up more popular on their channel.

I'm just glad the version of the manga we'll probably get changes half of the trumped up dialoge that was in the Shonen Jump USA version of the manga.

"Bring it on you big dick!"

Yeah, watch the choped up version and read the version with added swears and odd ball notes like "nothing in the T and A department" just to be cool . :roll: .

If it's one thing I don't like, it's things that swear just to grab attention.

no point in really trying to e-mail Jetix, it's the BFCC if anything you want to mail. Even Jetix has rules to follow

However i do like the fact they think that just because you watch Naruto it makes you "Jetix Fans" :D

WOO! ok, im over the anger phase.
just a quick recap

1.UK jetix edited naruto further
2. they edited with cheap low budget still images that were all shakey
3. the edits caused the show to not make sense to people who are seing it for the 1st time.

OK!, so, as i have said. im over the utter anger phase, and have broken into the mid-anger/mid-funny phase/.

i decided to watch another episode. to see what was edited today, and here is the list i came up with from today

(note, i am not noting the american edits, just what jetix has done,unless otherwise specified)

1. the Hokages pipe was replaces with the same still fuzzy image from two episodes ago, thats something like 6 minutes of on and off explaining with one shakey and fuzzy still image that is a closeup of his eyes. the one part where he did move, had the pipe digitally edited out, very cheaply i will add, it was all fuzzy and left his arms position innacurate to the laws of human anatomy.
who the hell would deny an old man his pipe?

2. the scene where tazuna walks in with his bottle of sake in his hand was edited so that the liquid was clear (i.e water) and the red from his cheeks was utterly removed (where as in the american it was just toned down a little)

3. the scene where the two rogue shinobi are supposed to tie up kakashi with their chain, and pull so that a shadowy version of him gets broken up (an opaque shadow gets cut up basically)
which was edited to a giant aulcer like dome on the floor which was apparently supposed to symbolise dust (dont ask how that works out)

4. the scene where naruto gets his skin nicked by the poisonous claw, which is important to lead to the next scene.

5. this scene was the worst, in the original naruto stab's his kunai in his hand to cause the blood flow to wash away the poisen, in the american, u see his hand moving, then a pained picture of naruto's face start to talk, although it was toned down, it still made sense
HOWEVER!!!
here, they cut that out entirely, and switched it to a butchered scene that didnt even makes sense. (speech accuracy not guaranteed)
Naruto: why am i always the one to hold us back?
*que heroic music even though nothing heroic has happened*
Sakura: no! naruto what are you doing!?
(naruto hasnt even done anything:confused: )
*fuzzy/shakey still images of everyones faces*
*Naruto's back faces everyone*
Naruto:I swear by this kunai..
(what kunai? no kunai is shown? this doesnt make sense, no one is hinted what has happened)
Naruto: that i will not freeze up again!
*que loads more fuzzy and shakey still images, just for the fun of adding to the confusion*

Kakashi: his wound has healed fast!!
(loads of stuff cut out as to why stabbing his hand was a bad idea, and that he may die of bloodloss)

by my eye that's all i saw in this episode, i can usually tell by how fuzzy the screen goes when the edit take place.
damn, its horrible, but worth a laugh or to, especially with the "i swear on this kunai" part, when there is no kunai.

well, i worked hard to get this to ya, watching this cut pained me, so i hope this info was use to you :)

as far as that reply from jetix goes, its still bad quality edits, they wont admit this, plus, isnt it called naruto uncut? and not unleased?
and also, wasnt it supposed to be out end of august? and not november?

Back