Editorial: Naruto and The Future of the UK Anime Industry

haha! paul, you shoulda seen it! such low budget editing crap!!!
true it may still be popular, but it will never have been what it could have been.
eventually if anime stops making such cool and new things like this, uk/usa will blow every oppurtunity to make it as big as it could be by pulling this kinda crap.
although US version will DEFINATELY pull in some new pre-otaku *hyuk- :twisted: hyuk*

touche, i hope newbies go out of their way to buy it though,
and are made aware it actuallly exists.

I know how you feel kriffix; I'm just trying to be optimistic really. Of course, it seems pointless to broadcast a show about ninja if you are going to cut out anything to do with them fighting each other, but yeah, lets hope things sort themselves out.

are you going to watch it tommorow paul?
its got such nasty little edits that are quite unnoticable to people who havnt watch the 1st ep over and over, at some point, naruto is supposed to say "if you lay a hand on iruka-sensei,...Illkill you!*with really cool close up on naruto's face"
whereas in the Uk version, he just says "if you lay a hand on iruka-sense..." then cuts to the next scene at total random, all the stills are VERY blurry, and its just overall unlogical!!! i mean really, avoiding showing the shuriken in iruka's back? its confusing as to why naruto is saying "but why?" after iruka coughs (originally from the cough of blood due to shuriken* i missed the first half of the ep, i wouldnt be suprised if they cut out saying "sexy jutsu*
and just imagine the gaara sand coffin scene!!! i reckon they'll skip it totally!!
my anger about this is uncompared!!! it feels worse than what happened to one piece, but only because it was so sudden.

EDIT: it suddenly makes sense as to why toonami didnt buy it, they must not have wanted to have to have edited it, and therbye gain the bad rep amongst anime fans that jetix is about to gain status of.

its like that olde anime show think it might have been battle of the planets or something, where they just had some lame ass helper robot tell you whats happening instead of you actually seeing it!

lol and man do those opening suck! even the original opening was better. hell i've seen poorly made amv's better than that. its just so bad. if they didnt want to do it properly why didnt they just show the naruto logo with the shurikens and a little bit of that music and go straight into the episode. then again i guess after all the cuts they need to make up time somehow. And the dragonball z first English OP was waaaay better.

i cant wait till they redo the fifth hokage's nickname lol. thats of course if it ever gets that far. which if by what people have said is true, i really doubt it.

ooooo just watched some of the dubbed ep 2. only decent bit in it was the elite sensai guy being dubbed by Chrispin Freeman. they rest kinda sucked, although naruto's laugh sounded kinda sounded like the original track?!
and man is believe it annoying! why the hell did they put that in?! does everything have to have a stupid catchphrase in america or something?! then again a catchphrase is normally something thats used less than EVERY OTHER WORD!

Why buy a license to a show, then spend more ripping it to shreds then expect its going to be watched and catch on. I mean cmon, kids today know what blood is, know what smoking is (and next year theres basically a nationwide ban on smoking), people are becoming too politically correct and wasting everyones time and money.

If parents dont want their child watching cartoon ninjas fighting and having them spill a little blood then fine, dont let them watch it but not to everyone elses expense.

Thats my two cents anyway, even though I dont have Jetix and haven't seen Naruto yet.

It's funny how you all -wanted- this, so badly and now it's come on, you're all turning your back on it because of the edits, nice going supporter(s). I wasn't really suprised it was edited, I mean after all Jetix is aimed at kids.

@ Xelis: If you make small kids watch a show on people losing a mass amount of blood from a giant flesh would, obviously they will pick up a fear of blood or something, so yeah, edits away.

I even noticed that no blood came out of Iruka's nose... which wasn't a total loss. Seriously, you were all happy a few days ago, no you're all like in tears off of some edits... if you don't like it go buy the uncut boxset which most other people will be doing. ;[

EDIT: I'm not attacking you, I'm giving you how I see it. Just to clarify.

Rukario said:
@ Xelis: If you make small kids watch a show on people losing a mass amount of blood from a giant flesh would, obviously they will pick up a fear of blood or something, so yeah, edits away.

I even noticed that no blood came out of Iruka's nose... which wasn't a total loss. Seriously, you were all happy a few days ago, no you're all like in tears off of some edits... if you don't like it go buy the uncut boxset which most other people will be doing. ;[

EDIT: I'm not attacking you, I'm giving you how I see it. Just to clarify.

Im not fussed either way, Naruto doesnt bother me because I have no interest in it, but I just dont like the fact Jetix is about to try its best at ruining one of the biggest animes of all time, for kids or not, it shouldnt be done. A proper teens/adult channel should have grabbed it :(.

I guess I was over looking the fact kids can be influenced by cartoons, but taking out the blood wont stop them pretending their Naruto and hitting people with sticks (because it wont harm the other guy cause they wont bleed or get injured :roll: ).

Hold on, I wasn't paying attention when it was on, but it's been edited FIRTHER?!

ON A FREAKING 8PM SLOT NO LESS?!

What the honest Fack!

Oh jesus god....

we're done, we're lightly toasted and on the fire, the good times, mam, they are over! It's Digmion Frountier aloveragain!
I knew they removed the shuriken impact from the intro but...eh!?

And i'm not turning my back on it, but theres no way i'm going to have an edited show reedited at 8pm, we have looser standards than the US For god sake!

I would like to humbly suggest that everyone calms the **** down.

Okay, there were edits. Above and beyond the US version.

So what?

You people are looking at this all wrong. Anime on TV isn't an end in itself. It's a means to bring more people into the fold. How many of us UK fans got started on the heavily-censored DBZ, Gundam Wing and Tenchi Muyo when they aired on Cartoon Network?

The Naruto TV broadcast is exactly the same. It's a way for new people to see a show, think "this is cool!", and then buy the uncut DVDs of this and other shows (and then turn into whiny bitches like the rest of you, but that's too depressing to really go into).

The Jetix airings need to be supported by anime fans, because it's the next step in bringing people in and expanding our fandom. Especially in these early days, when the general public might not be tuned in just yet. If we keep the ratings up, Jetix might do a little more promotion, and if enough people get drawn in they could well move it to a better timeslot, which exposes it to even more people.

It's important to remember that this broadcast isn't aimed at anime fans in any capacity. We aren't the target market for these edits, but the people who are in that demographic will be the next generation of anime fans.

you know this is funny that the usual Naruto "Fan boy's" posts :D

You need to stop thinking of it as an anime and more of a cartoon cause that's all it is now in the UK. A cartoon.

I can't even see many buying the dvd's, more likely to do what they did with DBZ and just download the episodes.

I'm sorry, no, I'm not calming the on the fact that it was an 8pm airing and as such, should of supported at the very least the Canadian edit of the show.

And how on earth are Children supposed to see it at Eight anyways?! Especaily on a lottery night.

If any other show aired that that time with edits, I garantee the fandom of that show would cause a Jetix have made a mess and Naruto is threatening to make it onto the "anime that got by Jetix/Fox Kids" list, of which I can at least count 5 before Naruto.

</topic>

edit: I have now edited this post to suit the family friendly needs of Jetix UK.

would you stop swearing?

From what i heard it is badly edited but i wouldn't exactly give up on it until more episodes are shown..

I can see it from both perspectives. As a Naruto fan- if the edits are as amatuer as they sound, its a disappointing way for the series to be presented. However- Naruto still means everything I've written in the editorial.

My only concern is that the edits will give the series a One Piece style popularity boost. Lets not forget, One Piece is more popular in Japan than Naruto, and 4Kids still managed it screw it up... At least the in-series soundtrack hasn't been butchered!

Back