Editorial: Naruto and The Future of the UK Anime Industry

Paul said:
My only concern is that the edits will give the series a One Piece style popularity boost. Lets not forget, One Piece is more popular in Japan than Naruto, and 4Kids still managed it screw it up... At least the in-series soundtrack hasn't been butchered!
Woun't a OP Popularity boost be a good thing?

Spreaken of which, how is that doing on the channel formaly known as CNX anyway?

Even with an 8PM time slot, cuts - to this degree - on Jetix doesn't surprise me. Any long running Naruto fan is likely to have the volume #1 box-set from the U.S. or have the Manga Entertainment first instalment on pre-order.

As anime fans, we view any degree of cuts with a high level of criticism/outrage. If we look at Naruto from the perspective of someone new to this phenomenon and unaware of the televised edits; Naruto still carries a lot of entertaining elements. All Jetix has do is spark the views interest enough to have them reach for Google. Once online the wealth of fan sites and dedicated forums can further the education process and highlight Naruto’s televised oversights.

A thread on the new NEO feedback section has forum users listing what initially sparked their interest in anime. It’s probably not surprising to see/hear that a large majority of fans have stated Pokemon. If Naruto lives up to the media hype “The biggest worldwide anime phenomenon since Pokemon hits the UK at last!â€

Once online the wealth of fan sites and dedicated forums can further the education process and highlight Naruto’s televised oversights.
At which point, the new fans bugger off, anoyed that Jetix are showing it cut at a graveyard slot and we're back to square one.

Plus, it's anoying when we were garanteed that it wouln't get any cuts at the expo.

I really don't see the big deal with the cuts. It is to be expected on UK TV with any cartoon (or otherwise) for that matter. Just feel lucky they can even use the word "Ninja" unlike a few years ago. (For those who don't know Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles had to be renamed Tenage Mutant Hero Turtles with any depiction of nunhaku ripped out before it could even consider being let near a TV.) I seriously think that Jetix got away with as much as it could but would still like to show more.

It's edited but kids are going to watch it, probably get to enjoy it and look into it further. That is my hope and the way I see this progressing. Pokemon, Dragonball and most of the other anime that has shown on TV has been cut to pieces but it has still largely succeeded to one degree or another.

Sure it may be a travesty in terms of the original uncut version but you can still look forward to the fact that Manga Ent will be releasing that uncut version in about a month's time.

Squeaks said:
Even with an 8PM time slot, cuts - to this degree - on Jetix doesn't surprise me. Any long running Naruto fan is likely to have the volume #1 box-set from the U.S. or have the Manga Entertainment first instalment on pre-order.

As anime fans, we view any degree of cuts with a high level of criticism/outrage. If we look at Naruto from the perspective of someone new to this phenomenon and unaware of the televised edits; Naruto still carries a lot of entertaining elements. All Jetix has do is spark the views interest enough to have them reach for Google. Once online the wealth of fan sites and dedicated forums can further the education process and highlight Naruto’s televised oversights.

A thread on the new NEO feedback section has forum users listing what initially sparked their interest in anime. It’s probably not surprising to see/hear that a large majority of fans have stated Pokemon. If Naruto lives up to the media hype “The biggest worldwide anime phenomenon since Pokemon hits the UK at last!â€

My main urk is that if they are going to edit it (byond the orgional edit, lets make this clear, if this was the US cut being shown then I'd be happy) then they can show it at something like 5pm as noted in the EPG.

It's doing no good, edited and on at 8pm when it gets eclipsed by the lottery and casulty and such.

Ryo Chan said:
if you want, i could alway send an e-mail to 4kids and ask them to dub it, would that make you happier?
Depends on how slow and painful a death you want to suffer and how much it would be edited by aformentioned idiots.

Ryo Chan said:
if you want, i could alway send an e-mail to 4kids and ask them to dub it, would that make you happier?
lol you couldnt have thought of a better idea lol
(randomly of topic) but few months ago i e-mailed 4-Kids about the one piece dubs/edits and questions as to why you made the unessasary edits. till now there was no feed-back. lol

conan-san said:
At which point, the new fans bugger off, anoyed that Jetix are showing it cut at a graveyard slot and we're back to square one.
Anime fans are fickle folk. If they jump ship at the first hurdle can you really call them fans?

It's annoying when fans are misinformed; it has become such a regular event that word of mouth has become meaningless.

When Rapture announced it would be showing FMA and Wolf's Rain I was told – at the London EXPO - it would be shown uncut in its native language. I felt like asking him if I had "MUG" written across my fore head.

Squeaks said:
conan-san said:
Anime fans are fickle folk. If they jump ship at the first hurdle can you really call them fans?
Concidering that there were people who were asking for Viz's heads with the US cut of Naruto, well, I'll agree that fans can get excited if it comes to it.

I repeat, if they aired the US cut, this wouln't be an issue.

Bah, at least 4kids make their edits look good, the screen was heavily pixilated in the jetix edit of Naruto. Here's a list of edits compaired to the American cut version:
- U.S intro Rise was cut (lol they even showed the same clip twice)
- The Ninja getting knocked backwards by the Kyuubi was cut
- The Hokage's pipe was zoomed in so you couldn't see it
- The camara panning up Iruka after he got hit by the Kunai's was cut
- The scene where Iruka got hit by the Shuriken was cut
- Many frames of Iruka still with the Shuriken impaled in him was zoomed in so you couldn't see him
- The part where Iruka pulled it out chucked the shuriken at Mizuki was cut
- The scene where Mizuki was charging at Iruka was cut
- The frame and quote where Naruto said "I'll kill you" was cut
- The entire scene where the Hokage tells the ninjas that Naruto will be back safely was cut

tbh you shouldn't support the jetix version, just buy the dvds and merch. I doubt they'd listen to emails or petitions, but if the dvd sales are higher than the tv ratings then they might listen to us. Anyways send your complaints to [email protected]

Thanks for the list, it's nice to see the casulites.

I'd mention the one thing they missed (se-), but I don't want to make this whole thing a wasted endevor.

The problem is that we're in a corner, if we don't suppot this, we're back to the age where companies like Turner can turn thier action channels into farces and get away with it and if we do well, we just look silly in terms of international anime fandom.

lol that scene was so retarded
They had Naruto say "If you touch my sensei I will" then cut him off and skipped to the next part of the scene in which the same background music was still playing, so it made it really obvious that they had cut it out. If they're going to make edits I suggest they pay for resources so that they can make them look good instead of just zooming into the screen, making it look pixelated or cutting random bits out, making the characters look retarded. OH and then there's the freeze frames! Iruka and Mizuki can now speak without opening their mouths! XD Hallerious.

Back