Durarara! To Be Released 3 Set With An RRP £24.99

Neferpitou

Stand User
c20090709durarara01cs1w.jpg

Durarara! To Be Released 3 Set With An RRP £24.99

According from http://www.animeonuk.tv/?p=61 who are live at the AmeCon 2010 at Keele. Durarara! will be released SUB only in 3 Sets (each contain 8-9 Episodes) at an RRP of £24.99. There will be an upgrade DUB release later and an upgrade scheme planned for people who brought the SUB version. It will be released some time in October in time for London Expo.

I wonder how the upgrade is gonna work. I mean, will those who bought the sub-only get the dub version for free or just at a a discounted price?

In b4 people moaning about the price again.

This is the one I'm interested in. Being released the way I like it. But sadly not in HD. And so my ambivalent stance towards the world at large is retained.

DanM said:
I wonder how the upgrade is gonna work. I mean, will those who bought the sub-only get the dub version for free or just at a a discounted price?
This would be interesting to know. I think I'm going to play it safe and wait for a billingual version, whether from Beez or Aniplex.

ayase said:
In b4 people moaning about the price again.

Why would you think anyone would moan about the price when they're reduced the RRP by £10? The fact that the RRP has dropped significantly more than expected is indication enough that it wasn't just a few people 'moaning about the price again', and it was a logical and feasible move.

I for one am very happy they're not sending this out die and have listened to consumers, and taken note of market competitors. As usual, Beez listen and react, and hopefully they'll reap the rewards and the show will go on to do numbers it deserves.

Definate purchase. :D

Hmm...I'm intrigued about this Upgrade thing. Because to be fair, you can watch the sub for free, legally on Crunchyroll. Buying a Sub-only DVD seems fairly pointless when a legal streaming alternative is available.

But streaming anime does reduce the quality. Also what is better me watching it on a 17" monitor or me watching it on my 45" HDTV?

Durial666 said:
But streaming anime does reduce the quality. Also what is better me watching it on a 17" monitor or me watching it on my 45" HDTV?

My feelings exactly. I'd rather pay for the DVDs than stream for free (or pay a monthly fee). Plus, I still like the physically own things.

I was thinking about holding off for the dual-audio release (I'm prefer subs, but like to have dubs for my rewatches so I can do other things at the same time), but if we can get some info on the upgrade before the first sub-only release, I may get it.

Durial666 said:

I watch both DVDs and CR on a 2m projector screen. The quality on CR isn't bad. Especially compared to some recent releases where they've crammed lots of eps onto a disc and cut the bitrate right down.

But not everyone has a 2m projector screen and decent broadband to stream with. I have to watch in standard definition and have to buffer as well.

Streaming may not be available for too long either. Sometimes shows are taken down after a time or only a certain block of episodes available at any one time.

Project-2501 said:
Durial666 said:

I watch both DVDs and CR on a 2m projector screen. The quality on CR isn't bad. Especially compared to some recent releases where they've crammed lots of eps onto a disc and cut the bitrate right down.
Yeah, these days I see 7 episodes on a single disc. 13 episode releases used to be spread over 3 discs.

Still, I'll be buying it, as others have said...my 32" will love it.

Project-2501 said:
Ryu Shoji said:
Still, I'll be buying it, as others have said...my 32" will love it.

It would be interesting to do a side by side comparison with CR.
As I can see my TV from where I have to have my laptop set up, I could do that xD

I do find it weird that Beez release some series in 3 parts (Gundam 00, Durarara) yet others in 2 parts (Code Geass)...

I was gonna say about the dub, Can't see way they would want to waste Crispin's talent on a sub only release. Then I realised there's an upgrade plan (or just wait like normal people would).

All turned out better then expected

stuart-says-yes said:
I hope this does well because it may allow beez to start releasing animes that may never get a dub, like hayate the combat butler or older animes.
The way I understand it, they are looking more at new releases as they come out in Japan and before some American company grabs it. There are a number of series stuck in limbo due to the UK rights being tied up with other companies in the US and elsewhere, and a great number of titles are locked in with their competitors Manga due to FUNimation owning the UK rights.
They licensed Durarara! before it even aired in Japan, and the rapid American license announcement caught them rather by surprise. If there's something you dearly want from the Autumn season, start begging now and show your support for the subbed version of Durarara.

Back