Doctor Who Discussion

I actually lost my fandom in doctor who till this year actually. Took me watching all Peter Davison - Peter Capaldi to revive it. And learn Colin Baker is over hated. Still hate Clara though.

Ok, you officially have a dedicated thread now ;)

Apologies if I mixed up some non-Who posts in the split, I'm not a viewer myself but if any are a problem you can report them and I'll move them back to where they belong.

R

Yeah I’m in a similar boat. I spent years collecting all the dvds and then stopped watching Who for years until the Season 12 box set was announced. This reignited by interest and now I watch it regularly again. I personally really like Colin Baker and most is his stories. Clara is still terrible though.

Ok, you officially have a dedicated thread now ;)

Apologies if I mixed up some non-Who posts in the split, I'm not a viewer myself but if any are a problem you can report them and I'll move them back to where they belong.

R
Brilliant thanks Rui. Much appreciated!

My Dad used to hate Colin Baker I feel he was easiest to blame to for the hiatus and then getting fired kinda helped that. I would say McCoys first season is worse than any of Colins (Maybe it was good he wasn't in it then). S25 and S26 are so good and its just sad it got cancelled then. Ace was a modern companion yet in the 80s shame no classic writers got invited back till 2016.

The easiest to blame was really Michael Grade and all the people who moaned about the violence. I actually don’t mind season 24, well Paradise Towers and Delta are good. Time and the Rani is entertainingly bad and Dragonfire is very average.

It’s a season that’s a victim of being written and conceived very quickly and haphazardly, and if Andrew Cartmel could have had more influence then it would have been more like 25 and 26, which asides from Silver Nemesis and the average Battlefield I consider a second renaissance for classic who.

Ace was top, easily the best 80’s companion too.

Last edited:
I feel Season 24 had zero stand outs like Trial had the Valeyard who I loved (which is why I need to buy Sixth doctors final audios) and Mindwarp (Feel would be better if they kept that ending for Peri) and S22 had Vengance on Varos which is sadly what people used to beat it on the violence front. Also Mel had terrible writing her only good scene is her final and as Eastenders showed Bonnie can act she was just written terribly.

Season 23 I’ll admit isn’t particularly great. 22 I love because of how dark and violent it can get. Both Attack of the Cybermen and Revelation of the Daleks really benefit from being darker and morbid than prior cyber/Daleks stories.

The Two Doctors meanwhile, asides from the iffy Sontaran costumes is an underrated gem for me. Any excuse to see the second doctor for what would be the last time, and Jamie too. 22 just feels unique and stands out for me because of this.

Pat Troughton is amazing and I can feel he is the only ex doctor who always slipped straight back in (I feel if he had the half year filming blocks he would have been doctor longer) but two doctors I feel is one of Holmes worse script especially as its his next after Androzani he just gets up on a high horse about being vegetarian and going on holiday to spain and we dont see enough Pat. And Peri is wearing silly clothes again. (NICOLA BRYANT DESERVES A BETTER WARDROBE)

I’m willing to overlook some of the less than stellar aspects of the script for the most part. I liked how darkly zany it could be, plus it further discounts Nu Who retconning the Doctors personality with “he never kills” clearly he does, as seen with the butterfly net and Shockeye.

For Holmes I’d say that The Krotons and Space Pirates are his weakest early on, but The Mysterious planet is just very dull outside of Glitz. I would have liked to see how the finale of Trial had turned out had Holmes not passed away unexpectedly.

Peri never really got a good wardrobe change asides from Revelation where she had to wear a big coat.

Yeah, it’s feels she wasn’t cast for acting talent at points as Davison jokes his regeneration scene was being distracted by her low cut top. When Ace came you could see it was different it was JNTs first non stunt casting companion.

Ace and the Seventh Doctor is probably the best companion doctor pairing in the series, maybe next to Jamie and the second and Sarah and the Fourth.

Well Series 11 is done. The last episode could have been a good start to a two latter but had to rush to the finish without the time to explore its concepts and implications. And really that's what I think was this series' biggest error, all single episodes with only an extra 5 minutea of screen time. The series on a whole I would describe as 'fine'. No big stand outs but not as many duds as some others.

I wouldn't be against them trying a fully sterilised honestly. It may serve Chris Chibnall as a writer better that way.

Im confused he went episodic his best show is broadchurch a fully serialised show. And yeah they lied as Tim Shaw reappeared but I think he is one of the worst villains they ever had he isnt scary at all and has no real motivation. He is no master or Daleks or cybermen. It feels they got caught up in their own bubble. And yeah i do think the title is resolution of the daleks as the BD still says "NEW YEARS SPECIAL". So a new name may appear later on. As the doctor cant say anything bar the daleks is the greatest threat in the universe.

I think it was a good idea for them to step away from relying too heavily on old villains. I thought 'Tim Shaw' had good presence by virtue of the acting and effects but lacked the screen time to explore him better. I mean the idea of a dangerous person driven delusional by virtue of experiencing extraordinary good fortune is full of potential.

A lot of potential that couldn't quite follow through. Could describe the series. Was hoping they would take more risks with writing than they actually. I applaud them for being bold with their casting and really hoping the production quality but wish they'd extended that sentiment into the scripts.

There's also the less pleasant things going on with areas of the fandom (as the YouTube algorithm is so keen to remind me) but I won't hold that against that against the showrunners.

Oh well though. There's always next series.

Back