Do you believe in (a)God? If not, whats your reason?

Ramadahl said:
WTFDaveMustaine said:
To drag myself back onto the subject matter. I think the Bible is nothing more than a collection of amusing fictional stories and nothing more.
I don't know about that, I'm pretty sure lots of things writen in the Bible have a good historical basis. I imagine that's quite useful if you're a historian.
And the stories aren't really that amusing. I recommend watching some decent anime for entertainment instead :p .

To quote Jay, from Clerks 2:

"You should check your Bible's, sir's, you'll find all kind of messed up **** in there" :p

WTFDaveMustaine said:
To drag myself back onto the subject matter. I think the Bible is nothing more than a collection of amusing fictional stories and nothing more.

Thats pretty much what I tell everyone.

Then I proceed to barrage then with questions, such as:

"Do you believe in the Tooth Fairy too, mallow head?" :lol:

Ramadahl said:
I imagine that's quite useful if you're a historian.
And the stories aren't really that amusing.
Oh come on! To save two men he barely knew a man gave his daughters to an angry mob to let them have their way with them and then some woman turned into a pile of salt. That's like something out of Puni Puni Poemi.

Oh dear... Blasphemy has become a new theme on this topic... :roll:
I've never read the bible myself, but I don't exactly bash it either. Even if we are all non-believers, does that give us the right to insult something (which at the moment can't be defined as true or false) that many have believed in for thousands of years?

If so, why not burn the Qu'ran, or scribble on achient scrolls, or melt the statues of Hindu gods?

Just saying if you think it's true or false would be good enough an answer, maybe why too.

Anyways, this is sounding like a moan now... In conclusion, I just feel like just because we don't agree with something, doesn't mean we can abuse it.

Hyaku said:
Nyu said:
I do not belive in a higher power, but i hate that people fight over other peoples beliefs.

I hate the people who try and force their Christain beliefs on you, and look down on people who are athiests, or follow other religions.

I myself haven't met any of said people, but my friend has, and he just handed the guy's ass to him after like 5 minutes :p

I don't care what people belive, if they try to force it on me i will tell them i do not care. I just prefer to tell them they are disgracing thier fellow *inster relig. group here*

However if your friend turned to violence then i hold a lower opinion of him than the pushers themselves.

Nyu said:
Hyaku said:
Nyu said:
I do not belive in a higher power, but i hate that people fight over other peoples beliefs.

I hate the people who try and force their Christain beliefs on you, and look down on people who are athiests, or follow other religions.

I myself haven't met any of said people, but my friend has, and he just handed the guy's ass to him after like 5 minutes :p

I don't care what people belive, if they try to force it on me i will tell them i do not care. I just prefer to tell them they are disgracing thier fellow *inster relig. group here*

However if your friend turned to violence then i hold a lower opinion of him than the pushers themselves.

Nope, he just destroyed him verbally, with his ball-point wit and Maddox-like sarcasm.

If I seem agressive towards religion then I apologise but after what effects it has had on my family it's hard for me to feel otherwise. I'm not going to go into detail but the effects of the powers of religion has left me quite bitter towards it.

My Grandfather was very religious up until the point of the WTC bombings in 2001, to which he completely disengaged his faith; yet he even managed to stick to his guns when when his wife passed away.

No better reason to throw away your faith than when hundreds of innocent people are slaughtered.

I dont believe in god and I dont believe in the devil. But what I do believe is there is something greater than us. Like on hitch hikers guide to the galaxy we have all been created for study. Also I think we dont just die and thats it what would be the point in living if its all going to end. There could be a place you can go or you might even be reancarnated. So if I grow old and die all the things Ive done will be forgoten sure people that I have known may remember me but they will die to so my memory will be gone. So there must be somewhere you go when you die so your memory can live on.

I'm not sure about a God, I have no real belief in one I see it more as a way imposing moral guidelines on society, as if saying, be bad and you'll be in eternal torment when you die, much like the idea of dtention after scholl when you'd rather be at home watching tv

I am an athiest really I like the idea of an almighty watching over us, much like a larger version of Optimus Prime. My girlfriend is a Catholic so we have very different views, and I think mine are right

Hyaku said:
- To the Believers out there, I DARE you to disprove that I am jesus re-incarnated.

You can't be because Jose Luis de Jesus Miranda was! :p

On a more serous note I do believe in God. I am a member of the Baha'i faith a religion founded on principles of Equality of the sexes, unification of religion and brotherhood of all of humanity and other such happy things :D

Intellectually I understand the atheistic standing that God does not exist because of lack of evidence however I still view this world of ours as evidence in itself. If you are looking for something you can touch and taste to prove God exists it will never happen. I have faith, and that’s all that I need.

I wont argue on the fact, however if anyone wants to get into a good debate on morality or effects of religion on modern society I am sure I can give you a run for your money. 8)

It's unfair to shun others for having beliefs so don't.

I personally think there is A God, but not THE God. I think the bible is a load of lies based to keep people down. I think that in the bible, God is portrayed as a rather vengeful power and actually bossy. But if God was really like that why would he give us free-will? 0:

There is something out there, this world is way too complex for there not to be.

Mini-Mariah said:

I personally think there is A God, but not THE God. I think the bible is a load of lies based to keep people down. I think that in the bible, God is portrayed as a rather vengeful power and actually bossy. But if God was really like that why would he give us free-will? 0:

There is something out there, this world is way too complex for there not to be.
I would like to thank you for those comments. *Shakes Hand*
I also would say that would be my view if I had any desire to have a God. Personally, I would think that this is the other side of the coin for me, being that we are given free will, how would we be breaking moral laws?
Free will allows you to decide yourself what is morally right/wrong. That's how I think you should feel like, so you don't have to bow to certain laws given by that "almighty" God.

Hyaku said:
No better reason to throw away your faith than when hundreds of innocent people are slaughtered.
I'm not going to pry into your personal view with 9/11 or your grandfather, but wouldn't that be a test of faith?
These things are, lightly put, horrific, but isn't the idea of faith is sticking with it through the good and bad?

I admit (and already said) that I lost my faith. but not due to a 'test' but more to self-realisation. But I still failed the test never-the-less.

Isnt it starnge that there are so many religions and out of all of them there maybe one that is actualy true or everything single religion out there is wrong. There is only one way to find out if that religion is true and that is by dying

Chaz said:
Mini-Mariah said:

I also would say that would be my view if I had any desire to have a God. Personally, I would think that this is the other side of the coin for me, being that we are given free will, how would we be breaking moral laws?
Free will allows you to decide yourself what is morally right/wrong. That's how I think you should feel like, so you don't have to bow to certain laws given by that "almighty" God.

Hyaku said:
I'm not going to pry into your personal view with 9/11 or your grandfather, but wouldn't that be a test of faith?
These things are, lightly put, horrific, but isn't the idea of faith is sticking with it through the good and bad?

I admit (and already said) that I lost my faith. but not due to a 'test' but more to self-realisation. But I still failed the test never-the-less.

But if you take a look at the big picture, the only thing you have at the end of the day is your faith, and thats worth its weight in faeces considering the time you've spent following the religion.

Its like Ned Flanders, the ultimate holy man, until Maud dies, then he starts having doubts because he doesn't get a response from God. :p :lol:

Chaz said:

We have been given free will however I think your being a little cut and dry here. When a child first leaves their home to go out into the world does the parent sever all contact with the child leaving them without help?

Humanity is like the child, these 'rules' are guidance for us to follow or not follow. It is down to the individual that is the purpose of free will. In secondary school most of us where taught a language other than English, we may have been taught it but it doesn’t mean that we will necessarily use it. If we all did what God wanted all of the time because we were programmed too, then there would be no greater purpose behind us as a species.

Most rules of modern societies are based on those from religions and there is no way to know which of these rules would be in effect if it wasn’t for these teachings.

We have free will to decide to follow God's laws or not, but it doesn’t mean we shouldn’t be taught.

Hyaku said:
But if you take a look at the big picture, the only thing you have at the end of the day is your faith, and thats worth its weight in faeces considering the time you've spent following the religion.

Personally I find this comment highly insulting. Faith is one of the most important things to a person, and faith in a religion or belief can at times be the only thing that keeps someone going. To suggest that it is was worthless as this is frankly insulting.

Replies for all! :D

pomtry said:
Someone build a time machine and Ill ask jesus if hes real.
Historians generally agree that Jesus was a real person. The metaphysics of the situation are a different matter.

Mini-Mariah said:
I personally think there is A God, but not THE God. I think the bible is a load of lies based to keep people down. I think that in the bible, God is portrayed as a rather vengeful power and actually bossy. But if God was really like that why would he give us free-will?
There is a kind of discrepancy between the old and new testament. I always put this down as trying to sell things to different audiences.

Mini-Mariah said:
Heh, I'd say the most complex answer is when there isn't anything out there :wink: .

Chaz said:
Yes, but free will also allows you to really mess up. I guess having absolute answers would be quite comforting for many people.

pomtry said:
There is only one way to find out if that religion is true and that is by dying.
Heh, what about the theory that whatever happens to you is whatever you believe will happen to you? :p

Hyaku said:
Hmm, surely only the person who has faith can judge how much it's worth to them?

butch-cassidy said:
Most rules of modern societies are based on those from religions and there is no way to know which of these rules would be in effect if it wasn’t for these teachings.
Think I read a study that suggested certain basic ones would always arise (i.e. no killing people).

butch-cassidy said:
Hyaku said:

Personally I find this comment highly insulting. Faith is one of the most important things to a person, and faith in a religion or belief can at times be the only thing that keeps someone going. To suggest that it is was worthless as this is frankly insulting.

I could start to explain myself, but I'd rather not delve into a hole I appear to have dug myself in, so I'll just won't bother to elaborate.

Back