Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

On-Gaku: Our Sound has bits of unsubbed dialogue, which is pretty noticeable in one scene. There's are two instances of songs which aren't subtitled
I finally watched my copy of the film today. As a result, I've struck through the entirety of a post that I wrote here in reaction to the above quote. Truly, I profusely apologise to Anime Limited for my premature reaction.

Further to the quote above, I can now see that the unsubbed dialogue is simply the same phrase being repeated over and over in one scene; it's subtitled initially so that viewers can understand it, but then stops because they've probably gotten the idea by that point.

As for the two unsubbed song performances, the first is a partial repeat of a song that has already been subtitled in full earlier in the film, and the second unsubbed performance has vocals that are just improvised gibberish and are not even words, thus making it impossible to translate.

In closing, Anime Limited's Blu-ray release hugely improves the overall quality of the translation in comparison with the Scotland Loves Anime Online stream that was offered during last year's festival, which was sometimes very rough and unpolished. In my view, the company has done a brilliant film proud, and I apologise wholeheartedly for my initial kneejerk response.

It's more of a Gkids issue than anything since AL used their disc. I remember watching the UK premiere of CotS in 2019 at SLA, which used the Gkids subs and you couldn't really register the signs since they often interrupted dialogue. Gkids are doing a great job bringing anime movies to English speaking countries, but their sub QC does need some work.

I wonder if that SLA online stream of On-Gaku used an in-house translation like what happened with the AL theatrical release of Ride Your Wave, because the Blu-ray for that film also used the Gkids USBD source.

Last edited:
In general, Shout Factory, who usually release on behalf of GKIDS, have this issue of not being able to display more than one line of subtitles at a time with their releases (the Super Sentai DVDs also have this issue). Shout's BD of Kamen Rider Zero-One doesn't have this issue, although it's because the subtitles were hardsubbed (with typesetting for the signs).

Doh! Was just checking Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind CE on Amazon for another post and just scrolled down to the reviews for some reason and it turns out that, God only knows how, BOTH Blu-ray and DVD have Whisper of the Heart on them instead!
Screenshot_20220522-121325.png
I checked mine and they're the same! Luckily I still have my original Blu-ray, but you couldn't Frankenstein the originals in because the designs on the disc fit with the Digipak. When they say they got the same problem when sent a replacement I guess that was just a straight replacement from Amazon. I'll have to email STUDIOCANAL at some point to see if they are doing a disc replacement.

Doh! Was just checking Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind CE on Amazon for another post and just scrolled down to the reviews for some reason and it turns out that, God only knows how, BOTH Blu-ray and DVD have Whisper of the Heart on them instead!
View attachment 24496
I checked mine and they're the same! Luckily I still have my original Blu-ray, but you couldn't Frankenstein the originals in because the designs on the disc fit with the Digipak. When they say they got the same problem when sent a replacement I guess that was just a straight replacement from Amazon. I'll have to email STUDIOCANAL at some point to see if they are doing a disc replacement.
wow what a blunder

Ugh, well this will be fun for me to get replacement discs, being over in the US. I already have the Whisper of the Heart Studiocanal Digipak CE, plus 4 other copies of the movie from the US and Japan - and Nausicaa was my most favorite Studio Ghibli title until Marnie was released, so I definitely want to have a correct set of discs in the Nausicaa UK digipak set. Please keep us posted here with any replacement program they come up with, so I don't miss out. 🙏

Last edited:
Issue found on Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat Disc 2. Won't make it past the MVM logo on startup playing on PS4. Had to force it into the top menu using the media controls.

Can confirm this happens on my LG Blu-Ray player as well.
…and on PS3, and on Xb1X, and stand-alone Toshiba player for me too (as well as the aforementioned PS4). Endlessly loops, but at least navigating to a menu works.

And this disc2 also seems to have a bit of a mess up with the subtitles of the special features; they’re missing from the second ep of the BBS, while the sixth repeats the subs from the first.

Nyan Koi on Blu-ray:
Ep2 has missing subs from 06:52 and had to switch to English dub to find out what the character is saying but the actual subs only appear at a split second at end of dialog.

08:32 has subs that only appear for a split second during a wall of onscreen text :(

Last edited:
Just put Fuse: Memoirs of a Hunter Girl on and the subtitles are in French (no subtitle option on the menu and the box only lists English ST). Guess I'd better email ATA.

Update: This was the response (for anyone else trying to get English subtitles):

I believe subtitle selection takes place after you've selected your preferred audio option in that menu.
It's like an Easter Egg (who else remembers the glory days of anime DVDs with secret extras?)

Last edited:
MVM's release of Iroduku: World in Colors is missing subtitles for episode 13. I know we were sent out review discs that had this issue rectified so contacted MVM to see if I can get a replacement with the fixed subs.

We raised this with them when I spotted the issue on the review discs and MVM confirmed that Disc 2 was being remastered, so presumably they'll be happy enough to send replacements if people get in touch. A shame it made it to the retail release tho!

We raised this with them when I spotted the issue on the review discs and MVM confirmed that Disc 2 was being remastered, so presumably they'll be happy enough to send replacements if people get in touch. A shame it made it to the retail release tho!
Luckily as the stock arrived well in advance, none was actually shipped to stores so all copies will have the new disc. Only our customers would have received the faulty disc, but yes anyone with the faulty disc wanting a replacement can just email us at [email protected].

Luckily as the stock arrived well in advance, none was actually shipped to stores so all copies will have the new disc. Only our customers would have received the faulty disc, but yes anyone with the faulty disc wanting a replacement can just email us at [email protected].
Not mine. I bought Iroduku at HMV in Norwich earlier today, I've just tested it, and unfortunately, my copy had the faulty disc with missing subtitles on episode 13. I'll send you an e-mail for further clarification.

Back