Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

How old is the PS4? If it's seen more the 3000 hours of disc play, the laser might be dying. It might be worth checking some old discs that you're sure that work to see if they still do. Either that or it needs a firmware update if it's only the newer discs that it's refusing to read.
Literally just the second disc. I got Wiseman's Grandchild last week and Parasite a few weeks ago and they both play fine. Checked a few old discs too, went with Cowboy Bebop (AL's 1st release) then went even further back to the very first blu ray I even bought Superbad (it's a classic). Both run perfectly.
I think it's more Manga done a snafu... 🤷‍♂️

And to chime in on the PS4 as a blu ray player debate, I'd say a good 90% of people I know who aren't anime fans use PS3s and PS4s as blu ray players. PS4 has sold over 100 million units, gets constant firmware updates and can be picked up relatively cheap.

Okay, so it's an Australian release and not a UK one, but I've started watching the Nichijou Blu-ray, which was redone with a dub by Funimation, after the initial Madman sub only DVD release which used the Crunchyroll sub script.

This was problematic as not all the text was translated, there were no production notes (useful if you want to know what Selamat Pagi means), and there was even one extra scene in episode 5 which wasn't streamed, but wasn't translated on the DVDs.

So Funimation reworked the subs for the Blu-ray. Only they've retranslated it, and a couple of choices make my teeth grind. Short Thoughts is now Word Time, which sounds dumb, but worse, Professor is now the proper name Hakase. What's the white coat for? She's the professor, the creator of Nano, the inventor of Sakamoto-san's translating scarf. I don't want to see Hakase in the subtitles, I want to see Professor!

Hi first post here :)

Some very very old releases I've seen some issues with but still thought it'd be worth mentioning:

Oh My Goddess Volume 1 in the Ultimate Goddess Collection box set (MVM) - the disc has the wrong art on it, showing the AMG movie instead, but the contents of the disc itself are correct. i thought this was a bad copy but got a second copy with the same issue.
You're Under Arrest OVAs (I think this is MVM as well?) - No Japanese audio options, English dub only

Okay, so it's an Australian release and not a UK one, but I've started watching the Nichijou Blu-ray, which was redone with a dub by Funimation, after the initial Madman sub only DVD release which used the Crunchyroll sub script.

This was problematic as not all the text was translated, there were no production notes (useful if you want to know what Selamat Pagi means), and there was even one extra scene in episode 5 which wasn't streamed, but wasn't translated on the DVDs.

So Funimation reworked the subs for the Blu-ray. Only they've retranslated it, and a couple of choices make my teeth grind. Short Thoughts is now Word Time, which sounds dumb, but worse, Professor is now the proper name Hakase. What's the white coat for? She's the professor, the creator of Nano, the inventor of Sakamoto-san's translating scarf. I don't want to see Hakase in the subtitles, I want to see Professor!

You might want to consider Funimation's Blu-ray of Nichijou carefully, especially if it comes to the UK.

This is my favourite scene in the show...

And on the Blu-ray. Funimation have translated 'hyacinth' to 'calamari' They threw in a minor swear as well. They broke the joke.
I'm glad I held onto the Madman DVDs, as they use the original Crunchyroll script, problematic in some places, but this... I lost sleep last night because of this. Funimation Epic Fail!

Wow. I still haven't figured out why the Japanese think screaming like that is even remotely funny. I will avoid any anime with screaming "humor" like it's the plague, all it does is gets on my nerves, especially when it goes on and on and on like that. The one thing even worse is when the characters go chibi while screaming. For me that scene is a prime example of why I dislike comedy anime so much in general. 😩

The one thing I do agree on is that Funimation is notorious for injecting their own swill into their translations, both sub and dub.

Wow. I still haven't figured out why the Japanese think screaming like that is even remotely funny. I will avoid any anime with screaming "humor" like it's the plague, all it does is gets on my nerves, especially when it goes on and on and on like that. The one thing even worse is when the characters go chibi while screaming. For me that scene is a prime example of why I dislike comedy anime so much in general. 😩

The one thing I do agree on is that Funimation is notorious for injecting their own swill into their translations, both sub and dub.

The context to that screaming is missing due to it being a clip. It’s a rare episode long story which is a slow burn build up to that explosion. I find it absolutely brilliant in that context. Actually, there’s not a lot of screaming in Nichijou.

This gag is a little more typical.

Finally got around to watching my copy of Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Deluxe Edition (I know they reauthored some discs for the standard season releases).

Turns out that episodes 8-11, and episode 18 of the First Gig, have dubtitles, subtitles closely based but not an exact match to the dub script. There's also a pop during the OP of episode 19 of the 1st Gig. I actually watched the 2nd Gig first months ago, and didn't notice any similar issues there (although obviously the Laughing Man and Individual Eleven discs).

Also there are plenty of minor typos here and there all through the subtitles, missing words, misspellings, things of that nature.

Just finished watching through the Konosuba collector's set from AlltheAnime. Whilst not terrible, the image quality seemed very soft at for the most part; maybe because of the 11 episodes on one disc. Also the yellow subs are a total eyesore. Don't get me wrong, I'm over the moon we got it at all.

Just finished watching through the Konosuba collector's set from AlltheAnime. Whilst not terrible, the image quality seemed very soft at for the most part; maybe because of the 11 episodes on one disc. Also the yellow subs are a total eyesore. Don't get me wrong, I'm over the moon we got it at all.
Noooo you can't criticize the Discotek discs or you'll anger the quality crew. Everything they work on must be the best thing ever or something /s

I agree Yellow subs are better thanks to the power of basic colour theory :p

No lie when people point this stuff out I never notice anything. I watched my Konosuba and it looks fine. I watched the MVM Fate Zero release and it looks fine. I watched the Steelbook release of Your Name and it looks fine. I honestly don't know what I am missing lol

I agree Yellow subs are better thanks to the power of basic colour theory :p

No lie when people point this stuff out I never notice anything. I watched my Konosuba and it looks fine. I watched the MVM Fate Zero release and it looks fine. I watched the Steelbook release of Your Name and it looks fine. I honestly don't know what I am missing lol
I'm not being a dick, I promise but do you wear glasses?

On the flip side I watched the Blu-ray release of Escape from New York which was heralded as a great disc and I saw over sharpening in many scenes that made it look odd lol.

Back