Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

If it tells me on the disc who did the work, then that's who I'll point my finger at. It's not as if they've just left the Seraphim page as-is since someone either at Seraphim or Hanabee has added a Hanabee copyright note on the the page.

ConanThe3rd said:
Of course there's no warning on this and, frankly, given Netflix is perfectly capable of doing this and running on PC's that can charitably be called existing it's just a little crap.
Netfix has decent subtitle support because they got sued over it under ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act), by one of the major groups representing deaf/ hard of hearing Americans.

Surprised how US distributors get away with not having to have dubtitles for the English track on all their disks.
The internet is a bit "wild west" for obeying some laws that, e.g. cinemas, have to abide by. Have come across some complaints about this online too.

DtO is so small (or much harder to do, as this if being purchased as a good, not a service) no one has bothered to sue them for the things the big streaming services have been successfully sued for.

Quite a few UK VOD services are pretty poor when it comes to not offering subtitles, so interesting to hear that resulted in Netflix getting sued in the US.

I semi-randomly started re-watching FMA:B on Netflix recently (despite having it on disc, albeit mostly DVD) and they have both subtitles and "CC" dubtitles (I only realised there was a standard sub option when I was some way through... their SFX descriptions can be pretty amusing though).
There were lots of issues with their subs for Sidonia though, with missing lines, lines that aren't up long enough to read etc.

Slight problem with the Sankarea DVDs with the subtitles on the pre-credits sequence of episode 11.

Note that it's evident in all releases of the DVD, UK,AU, and uncut US.

The first release broadcast version DVD is unaffected, as is the Blu-ray.

Just took a second to look through that list and it's surprising how many cock ups there are. Does no one watch the final authored discs before printing them? Some of these seem like they should definitely be picked up like distorted audio or missing subtitles. I'm sure there is more to it than I'm assuming, but it does seem weird glaring issues aren't picked up. Also, while we're talking issues, I think I found one that isn't on the list. On the Manga Claymore DVD release, the aspect ratio on the last disc is incorrect.

Discs 1-5:
http://i.imgur.com/gY3uKR4.jpg
Disc 6:
http://i.imgur.com/czN0wQb.jpg

From the screen grabs it doesn't look like the ratio is incorrect. Just looks like one has a small letter box. If the AR was wrong the lettering would look a diffent size. Would looked squashed.

Emulsion said:
From the screen grabs it doesn't look like the ratio is incorrect. Just looks like one has a small letter box. If the AR was wrong the lettering would look a diffent size. Would looked squashed.

Fair enough. Still inconsistent though and slightly annoying.

Not a defect by any means, but the blurays for Log horizon (Part 1 at least) have had the creditless opening and endings spliced into the episodes. They feel a bit empty without the credits, especially the ED. The same creditless versions can also be found in the extras on the second disc, but they are pretty much redundant. The discs for both parts also have the episode count mislabelled.

I wonder if they simply weren't supplied with the original credits?
Do they have the regular Sentai scroll after the credit sequence?

Yeah, I did find the episode miscounts slightly confusing with the Log Horizon discs - as it seemed to be the case with both Part 1 and Part 2.

Mangaranga said:
Not a defect by any means, but the blurays for Log horizon (Part 1 at least) have had the creditless opening and endings spliced into the episodes. They feel a bit empty without the credits, especially the ED. The same creditless versions can also be found in the extras on the second disc, but they are pretty much redundant.

The DVD's were also a similar story (i.e. creditless opening and closing in the episode themselves).

Emo185 said:
Mangaranga said:
Not a defect by any means, but the blurays for Log horizon (Part 1 at least) have had the creditless opening and endings spliced into the episodes. They feel a bit empty without the credits, especially the ED. The same creditless versions can also be found in the extras on the second disc, but they are pretty much redundant.

The DVD's were also a similar story (i.e. creditless opening and closing in the episode themselves).
There doesn't seem to be any reports about this issue for the US version, so it might have been altered by the Australian distributor when they created their masters or it hasn't been noticed (or I haven't found any information related to the issue).

I can't see it on the list but did anyone have problems with the audio dropping several times during a couple of episodes while watching the Japanese language version of MangaUK's jormungand Season 1 Blu Ray release? It may just be my TV/Player (probably TV as it's at least 5 years old now) but just want to be sure...

Dannielle said:
I can't see it on the list but did anyone have problems with the audio dropping several times during a couple of episodes while watching the Japanese language version of MangaUK's jormungand Season 1 Blu Ray release? It may just be my TV/Player (probably TV as it's at least 5 years old now) but just want to be sure...

I don't remember any problems; but if I recall MangaUK used the same disc master as that of the US Release.

I originally had the US import, but then sold it and rented the UK release - amusingly enough my player picked-up right where I left off haha

I didn't have any problems with the US disc, so hopefully someone can confirm whether they've had anything similar. It sounds like a potential setup problem :(

R

Dannielle said:
Ahhh, yikes. Thanks Emo185 & Rui.

Time to drop some dolla on a new TV...

I'd try and rule out cables > disk (on another system) > bd player etc before assuming TV. Spending a bunch of money on a new tv and then finding out it was a shoddy HDMI cable causing drop outs might be a bit painful... Of course unless you just want a new TV and needed a way to justify it :)

Back