Defective or Disappointing UK Anime Discs

ilmaestro said:
Hey, come on now, they are just listing options - not necessarily the options they chose.

If its listed on the packaging then you SHOULD get it otherwise it can classed as false advertising (i.e. advertising something that's not included).

Anyway I don't think this has been mentioned before, and I also don't think it is a "wide-issue" but I've just discovered that Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere - Season 1 (Blu-ray) does not work properly on My Samsung Blu-ray Player (Samsung BD-C5900) - the video plays but no audio is present (also won't allow me to change audio via pop-up menu etc).

It's a similar issue to Un-Go not working properly on Panasonic Blu-ray players.

I know its a relatively old title but I just recently picked it up so I thought I'd point it out.

Warning

Both super robot wars and koe De oshigoto have issues

Super robot wars episode 25 and 26 dialog is way way off
And
Koe de oshigoto keeps going back to the menu after each chapter

I wrote a message to media blasters on face book to ask if they can replace them and hopefully they will replace it.

And about the durarara blu-ray discs.........wasn't they going to replace the defaulted discs?........come on guys help me out here.

animefreak17 said:
Warning

And

I wrote a message to media blasters on face book to ask if they can replace them and hopefully they will replace it.

And about the durarara blu-ray discs.........wasn't they going to replace the defaulted discs?........come on guys help me out here.

Those MB issues are being fixed and released AFAIK.

Regarding DRRR!! Andrew said the minimum it would be out is November.

NormanicGrav said:
animefreak17 said:
Warning

And

Those MB issues are being fixed and released AFAIK.

Regarding DRRR!! Andrew said the minimum it would be out is November.

About durarara good.

I'm still waiting for MB answer

I'm afraid MB is outside of the scope of a UK disc thread, but I sent in my copy of Koe De Oshigoto (this is where we all admit to owning and liking that show) and have yet to hear back. They initially said they would replace the faulty discs for foreigners too, so I'm hoping it will eventually turn up :S

R

NormanicGrav said:
Here's an interesting note to point out, the Viz Media release of Demon Capital is the Broadcast Edit version, not the Uncut Uncensored version that home releases get in Japan.
ANN Comments Section said:
Another thing that should be mentioned: These DVDs are the censored TV broadcast version instead of the uncensored Japanese home video version. The scene with Awashima in the hot springs is edited out, whereas in the Japanese release the nudity is in tact.

Why Viz chose to use the broadcast version for their home release is unknown, but this is strikingly similar to FUNimation's Sankarea release which suffered from many of the same issues.

I presume this is the same for Kaze's release.

Not sure if this was mentioned or not but was wondering if the kaze version of nura was uncut or not as I have the viz season 1 sets but not sure If I should get the second season kaze version or viz version?

w00d09 said:
NormanicGrav said:
Here's an interesting note to point out, the Viz Media release of Demon Capital is the Broadcast Edit version, not the Uncut Uncensored version that home releases get in Japan.
ANN Comments Section said:
Another thing that should be mentioned: These DVDs are the censored TV broadcast version instead of the uncensored Japanese home video version. The scene with Awashima in the hot springs is edited out, whereas in the Japanese release the nudity is in tact.

Why Viz chose to use the broadcast version for their home release is unknown, but this is strikingly similar to FUNimation's Sankarea release which suffered from many of the same issues.

I presume this is the same for Kaze's release.

Not sure if this was mentioned or not but was wondering if the kaze version of nura was uncut or not as I have the viz season 1 sets but not sure If I should get the second season kaze version or viz version?

The UK Kaze Releases use the original (untranslated Japanese text) opening and closing; whereby the VIZ Media (Blu-ray releases at least) used translated text based openings; so I assume that the Kaze releases are uncut.

Basically the text (which lists people involved with the production of the series) is all in Japanese on the Kaze releases, while the Viz Media releases are all translated into English so you can read who was involved with the show.

In terms of 'differences' - does anyone know what was edited out? as I remember seeing blood in both UK and US releases of Part 1.

mostly fanservice going by what I have read eg removed/censored the hot spring scene in ep 7 but could also mean its missing animation revisions as it's using the broadcast version.

Here we are again. From MVM's Facebook:

João Miguel Monteiro
Hey I've got From the New World on BD, on Episode 13 the English and Japanese audio are out of sync. Tried it on 3 different blu ray players.
MVM Entertainment
It's a worldwide issue I'm afraid, we contacted Hanabee about it and they said it stemmed from both American and Japanese originals but wasn't enough of an issue to redub/remaster etc. So it's not a fault with just us.
Carmine Barbuto
I've got the same problem, seems to be an issue on all disc I guess...
I can't check this myself because my disc 2 is borked but MVM openly admit that the problem exists. Yeah we know about that, not our fault, kthxbai.

Thing is, FtNW is a fairly recent Sentai release, and I thought they'd fixed whatever was causing this particular issue a while back. I can't find any mention of the audio at Fandom Post, either in the review or the forums, and that'd be the first place it'd come to light. And "Japanese orginals"? Yeah, I'm sure it's the fault of the Japanese that the English audio is out of sync.

Rui said:
How weird; I'll check my US set when I get home tonight. That reasoning sounds very fishy.

R
I'd say so to since an error like that should have been picked up on the US release, and there isn't a thread in the glitch disc section on TFP about it.

demonix said:
Rui said:
How weird; I'll check my US set when I get home tonight. That reasoning sounds very fishy.

R
I'd say so to since an error like that should have been picked up on the US release, and there isn't a thread in the glitch disc section on TFP about it.

Wasn't the FTNW BD locked to Region A by Sentai? In which case Hanabee would have had to reauthor it in Australia for Region B. Which means the (Australian) buck stops with Hanabee.

Just Passing Through said:
demonix said:
Rui said:

R

Wasn't the FTNW BD locked to Region A by Sentai? In which case Hanabee would have had to reauthor it in Australia for Region B. Which means the (Australian) buck stops with Hanabee.
A quick flick through the sentai bypass thread confirms it for the second part, so it'll be the same for the first, and that the fault starts with the Australian release.

demonix said:
Just Passing Through said:
A quick flick through the sentai bypass thread confirms it for the second part, so it'll be the same for the first, and that the fault starts with the Australian release.

FTNW collection 1 was region A and B. Collection 2 is region A only.

Just quickly checked my US copy of part 1, both audio tracks are in sync.

So it looks like Hanabee aren't being completely honest.

If someone with the UK (or Australian) release who can spot the flaw can confirm a good place in the episode to verify where it's cropping up, we can clarify this once and for all. It seems ridiculously unlikely that the US and Japanese fans didn't notice or care when two people have already reported it in that Facebook thread, so I'm inclined to believe Hanabee's quality control has claimed another victim.

R

It seems likely that Hanabee did re-author the disc because it has white subtitles, and as far as I know Sentai have never used anything but yellow subtitles. EDIT: Also, there are no English language credit scrolls following the Japanese ED, as there are in all Sentai discs. My replacement disc 2 should turn up in the next couple of days so I'll verify the details of the issue if no-one else has done so by then.

fabricatedlunatic said:
And "Japanese orginals"? Yeah, I'm sure it's the fault of the Japanese that the English audio is out of sync.
This was the first thing that struck me reading that comment. :lol: If you had told me ten years ago that incidents like this would still be cropping up regularly and with such little communication between the companies and the fans in 2014, well, I guess I would have been stupid not to believe it.

Back