Death Note Movie on Film4

Milla said:
I haven't seen the anime yet - is it best to watch that first before the film?

Not at all, its an adaption of the anime (with a different ending) so you can freely watch the movie as your first entry to the franchise...unless you've read the manga of course :p

Milla said:
I haven't seen the anime yet - is it best to watch that first before the film?

Just know, from what I hear it goes

Anime > Manga > Film

I've not seen the film, but the Anime is definately superior.

You must watch it, ANYWAY

Just Passing Through said:
In between Deal or No Deal and Derren Brown. Now if there were two names that ought to go in the Death Note... :p
Can the death note "kill" shows? This is something that the terrible twosome forgot to detail.

I'm going to stick my neck and say that the upcoming Hollywood attempt will be better than the first Japanese DN flick. It made the story boring, it added a worthless girlfriend character, it butchered Naomi's character by giving her a bad actress and changing things and Light's actor was way too average to pull him off. A poor film all round, really.

That said, I suppose it's good something connected to anime is getting on UK TV. It's just too bad it had to be the Death Note film and not the TV series...

I'd agree with that insofar as Death Note is really just half a film. You have to take Death Note, and The Last Name as a whole. Death Note is all setup, and it really repeats the manga to 90% similarity.

The payoff comes in The Last Name, and it's here where it diverges considerably from the manga, and offers a different ending altogether, and in my opinion a superior one.

The third Death Note film mangages to suck and blow at the same time, and really needs to be avoided.

and it really repeats the manga to 90% similarity.

It butchered the Naomi Misora part of the story. It was one of the best parts of the story and, due to a combination of terrible acting and awful changes, it failed in the film. The butchering was made even worse by a retarded filler girlfriend being thrown into the mix.

Even up until that point it wasn't what I'd call faithful. In the manga Light tested the notebook truly worked by killing the leader of a group of thugs that were sexually harrasing a young girl in the street -- Light made the leader drive his bike in front of a truck. In the film, however, Light tested his notebook for the first time (in the flesh) on a gangster he confronted in a bar, and he simply made him have a fake looking heart-attack.

Milla said:
It's showing on 28th Feb at 10:55pm, according to Digiguide

Not according to the Radio Times.

10.55pm on FilmFour, Death Proof, not Death Note.

But...

on Channel 4 there is 'to be announced' Film scheduled, from 9pm to 11.45 pm

Death Note is rated 12, so that seems like the perfect time to show it, and it's 2 hours 20 minutes long, which with ads will fit perfectly into that spot.

Even though I'm a big fan of Death Dote, I'd rather see Death Proof than the live action Death Note; The live action for Death Note was really crap to be honest. I've only seen the first one, but I doubt I'll watch the second after seeing the crap which was the first movie!

Milla said:
It's showing on 28th Feb at 10:55pm, according to Digiguide

Not according to the Radio Times.

10.55pm on FilmFour, Death Proof, not Death Note.

But...

on Channel 4 there is 'to be announced' Film scheduled, from 9pm to 11.45 pm

Death Note is rated 12, so that seems like the perfect time to show it, and it's 2 hours 20 minutes long, which with ads will fit perfectly into that spot.

That's odd - Digiguide is still showing Death Note at 10.55pm. Along Came a Spider in the 9pm slot.

Channel 4's website only goes up to the 27th - so can't check there to see which is right

I can understand some people being happy about the fact a Death Note film is going to air on UK TV, but why bother thinking about the time and date? If you really want see the Japanese destroy DN, it's easy enough to find a high quality DVD-rip that you can watch at any moment and not be forced to watch at a certain time...or rather, it was when I watched it way back.

Aion said:
I can understand some people being happy about the fact a Death Note film is going to air on UK TV, but why bother thinking about the time and date? If you really want see the Japanese destroy DN, it's easy enough to find a high quality DVD-rip that you can watch at any moment and not be forced to watch at a certain time...or rather, it was when I watched it way back.
maybe to convince others to watch it as well?

Looks like it is going to be on Film4 after all. It's now showing on my Sky Box listings

Digiguide says the sequel's going to be shown the week after (7th March, 11:20pm)

Ahh Film4. I remember such a channel allowing me to watch Laputa: Castle in the Sky courtesy of James van der Beek's voice acting.

I neither have nor want a television at the moment, so this presentation doesn't particularly concern me. Death Note has quite a following over here though, so perhaps quite a few people will stay up to watch it.

I'm not sure if Battle Royale is worse than Death Note. I managed to watch Death Note until the end, with a break in-between, but I stopped watching and deleted Battle Royale one hour in. How they both have such high ratings on IMDB I'll never know.

/random post end

You probably deleted due to the lack of over the top gore and sexual content yet you watched all of Death Note a talking snore fest... wut.

You could be on to something but I think it was more down to how there was no time for character development. In the film there was only time for the camera to switch between various death sequences, where as in the novel/manga 80% of the content was talking. The time limitations of the film also resulted in plot simplification and characters personalities getting changed...like, for example, how Kazuo changed from a sociopath with no feelings to just a "badass" transfer kid. And don't get me started on the terrible acting.

Why did both films suck, in short? Because they both had the same pretty boy, with no acting ability, playing lead roles.

Conan-san said:
Hey, speaking of stuff 4 should air again, Metropolis.

Yeah.
The first (and to my knowledge only) time it aired I declined to watch it, thinking it'd be a partially-animated take on Lang's film. All things considered, had I watched it back then I probably wouldn't have found it as brilliant a film as I currently do.
(Admittedly it took a short while for it to warm on me once I had seen some of it.)

On a related note, didn't the BBC air Akira in the early 90's?

Back