UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

I'm gonna do the same in addition to Aoashi, LOTGH S3 and Bookworm S3 around March.

Not looking good CruchyUK.
Tbf this was the main worry most people had with the merger. A lot of people here remember how bad the home video market was in the UK during the Funimation/Crunchyroll streaming agreement which caused pretty much every title they licenced to not be released outside the US. Australia and the UK eventually got backfilled with some of the titles after the agreement ended.

Last edited:
Tbf this was the main worry most people had with the merger. A lot of people here remember how bad the home video market was here during the Funimation/Crunchyroll streaming agreement which caused pretty much every title they licenced to not be released outside the US. Australia and the UK eventually got backfilled with some of the titles after the agreement ended.

Yeah, this merger has been awful which I had a feeling it would be, great for the streaming side as I only have to pay for Crunchyroll and HIDIVE now (with Netflix, Disney+ and rarely Amazon Prime here and there for other titles) but for the home video side, pathetic, even for the U.S. it has slowed down.

The problems with blu-ray borders in the Funi UK days seem like such a small thing now, at least we were getting some decent titles from the backlog with them getting LE's as well, I miss that a lot now despite it not being perfect.

An AUKN User said:
After my absence it sure is great to see everyone's just as pessimistic as ever :p
I mean, what are you optimistic about? The proof is in the pudding: CR licensing more anime than ever while putting out fewer physical releases - fewer still in the UK - with higher prices. We should be so grateful for our new corporate Overlords. You may be positioning yourself as a lone voice of reason but to me you come across as a contrarian.

Even after all these years, I still think it's absolutely wild that these companies decide a cardboard box, three tiny plastic badges and four postcards are worth an extra £45.

I mean...I don't blame them for doing it (and it's none of my business what other people choose to buy), because they know people are willing to pay. But the whole thing just seems like such a con to me. 😅

Even after all these years, I still think it's absolutely wild that these companies decide a cardboard box, three tiny plastic badges and four postcards are worth an extra £45.

I mean...I don't blame them for doing it (and it's none of my business what other people choose to buy), because they know people are willing to pay. But the whole thing just seems like such a con to me. 😅
I don't think anyone actually pays the MSRP though.

For example, as a preorder including discounts, in the US, Attack on Titan Final Season Part 2 regular BD is ~$42 (£33.90) after tax and the LE is $44 (£35.52) after tax.

This is the same for Arifureta Season 2 BD and LE.

You see far more aggressive discounts on the LE, which is why I'm preordering both LEs.

Generally, the gap between the LE and the regular edition is about $20 (£16) though at certain points in time, like right now during the preorder phase, that difference is smaller.

For the UK, it looks like the LE promotional pricing hasn't kicked in yet, which I imagine it eventually will to make the LE more worthwhile.

For the UK, it looks like the LE promotional pricing hasn't kicked in yet, which I imagine it eventually will to make the LE more worthwhile.
£75 is the LE promotional price on AOL.

The US LE set is currently about £40 plus shipping and tax from Amazon US, comes out at $77.56 included shipping and 23% vat to Ireland. Still significantly cheaper than here atm.

The US LE set is currently about £40 plus shipping and tax from Amazon US, comes out at $77.56 included shipping and 23% vat to Ireland. Still significantly cheaper than here atm.
What the hell? That's ridiculous. Why is the UK MSRP £99?

Even the US MSRP is $84.98 for the LE and the Crunchyroll store itself sells at $63.74.

yea, and it's around $70 for folks in the UK. if you must have the Titan LE now, that's much cheaper than the local release. The link is below (while it remains at $49.99)

That said, will be sticking with the standard, not too many complaints there.

yea, and it's around $70 for folks in the UK. if you must have the Titan LE now, that's much cheaper than the local release. The link is below (while it remains at $49.99)

That said, will be sticking with the standard, not too many complaints there.
If you are using any US Proxy or forwarding service, it might be cheaper to buy through Gruv on Ebay. 20% off when you buy 2, which takes it down to $40 each. Gruv is the official distributor for NBC Universal and their own online storefront.

Arifureta S2 LE

AoT Final Season Part 2 LE

In what appears to be a minor miracle the UWP app for Crunchyroll on Xbox has been replaced. This app has had major issues that were never addressed since launch such as auto log in being broken, initial buffering timing out without notification leaving you on a blank screen and the timeline overflowing leaving the episode listed as unwatched if you don't stop it a couple of seconds before the end.

The new app appears to be identical to the Google TV(CCwGTV) version.

I would assume the PS4/PS5 will be updated with this new layout in the near future as well.

Last edited:
In what appears to be a minor miracle the UWP app for Crunchyroll on Xbox has been replaced. This app has had major issues that were never addressed since launch such as auto log in being broken, initial buffering timing out without notification leaving you on a blank screen and the timeline overflowing leaving the episode listed as unwatched if you don't stop it a couple of seconds before the end.

The new app appears to be identical to the Google TV(CCwGTV) version.

I would assume the PS4/PS5 will be updated with this new layout in the near future as well.
I wonder if they will be re-listing the crunchyroll app on the LG TVs, which I hear used to be a thing before being canned. All we have been left with is the glorious funimation one which works about 25% of the time. Good-bloody-riddance to that subscription.

Does the MHA S5 part 2 blu ray contain the OVAs (that are listed under s5 on CR) because the back of the box says special features lasting 55 mins but I can only see a Q&A with the English villain cast?

Does the MHA S5 part 2 blu ray contain the OVAs (that are listed under s5 on CR) because the back of the box says special features lasting 55 mins but I can only see a Q&A with the English villain cast?
The OVAs were initially solicited with the Season 5 Part 2 release, but were later removed once they were released in North America. I would expect the UK discs would follow suit.

When the US version is cheaper by 33p 😐🤣
These shows are made for teenagers, what 15 year old has the money to spend £100+ on Platinum End?

Also I'm very happy that Kaguya fans get to see the movie on the big screen. But it's insane they are doing that when none of that show is available on disc. There's clearly a market for that series otherwise you wouldn't bring out the movie.

Back