UK Anime Distributor Crunchyroll/Funimation/Manga UK Discussion Thread

Hope you get it sorted.
It's a weird issue as my essentials copy states region A and B and episode 6 is fine.
Obviously I've no knowledge of how they make Blu-ray's but you'd think if they've done it correctly once they could do it again.

Thank you and thanks for the feedback. I believe the essentials version came out back in 2019 and seems to have more of an involvement from Funimation, before they were bought completely by Crunchyroll.

The UK release didn't come out until October 2023. I'm no disc authoring expert either, but I'm guessing something went wrong in the production stage of creating the discs for the UK release (if it is a disc authoring error).

I'm curious to get my hands on another UK copy to see if the same thing occurs.

I joined to respond to this:

Not sure if this is a known issue or not, or even if it's just an issue with my own disc, but English subtitles do not display for dialogue on episode 6 of Classroom of the Elite Season 1 (Crunchyroll UK release).

English subtitles work on every other episode. I also tested episode 6 with French subtitles, which worked, but of no use to me. Looks like I'm watching this episode English dubbed.

I hadn't watched the disc before but I checked mine after reading this. I have the same problem.

It appears the only subtitles that exist on this episode are the ones for signs, phone text, etc. which normally would play if using the dub.

Thank you and thanks for the feedback. I believe the essentials version came out back in 2019 and seems to have more of an involvement from Funimation, before they were bought completely by Crunchyroll.

The UK release didn't come out until October 2023. I'm no disc authoring expert either, but I'm guessing something went wrong in the production stage of creating the discs for the UK release (if it is a disc authoring error).

I'm curious to get my hands on another UK copy to see if the same thing occurs.

This type of error is always going to be an authoring error on the disc, not something that would affect only a single copy.

The US and UK releases of this are completely different; I have both. The US one doesn't have the additional language options, and it's the typical older Funimation release that has episodes 1-9 on the first disc and 10-12 on the second. The UK version has the more even split and each episode has a larger file size with better video quality.

They need to do a disc replacement program, though I wonder if I'm out of luck due to where I am. I am in the US, but I now buy the UK Crunchyroll releases for everything they release there because I got tired of scratched discs that won't play from the US company due to the lousy quality control of the blu-ray production facility in Mexico that makes all US discs. As a side effect, I like not having DVDs included that I'll never use.

Not that it matters for this discussion, but it was Funimation that bought Crunchyroll, and then took the Crunchyroll name. With how everything changed it does seem more like it was the other way around though.

I joined to respond to this:

I hadn't watched the disc before but I checked mine after reading this. I have the same problem.

It appears the only subtitles that exist on this episode are the ones for signs, phone text, etc. which normally would play if using the dub.

This type of error is always going to be an authoring error on the disc, not something that would affect only a single copy.

The US and UK releases of this are completely different; I have both. The US one doesn't have the additional language options, and it's the typical older Funimation release that has episodes 1-9 on the first disc and 10-12 on the second. The UK version has the more even split and each episode has a larger file size with better video quality.

They need to do a disc replacement program, though I wonder if I'm out of luck due to where I am. I am in the US, but I now buy the UK Crunchyroll releases for everything they release there because I got tired of scratched discs that won't play from the US company due to the lousy quality control of the blu-ray production facility in Mexico that makes all US discs. As a side effect, I like not having DVDs included that I'll never use.

Not that it matters for this discussion, but it was Funimation that bought Crunchyroll, and then took the Crunchyroll name. With how everything changed it does seem more like it was the other way around though.

I ended up purchasing a second copy from Amazon UK and of course, it has the same issues (so I'll be returning it). Combined with your response, it definitely seems to be a systematic disc authoring issue.

Crunchyroll customer service didn't help at all, unfortunately. I've tried sending another message through their Instagram several days ago, but haven't heard anything back yet.

They really should issue a new disc, as the viewer is unable to watch one of the episodes with the Japanese dub and English subtitles.

I think I will try contacting their customer service again. Thanks for confirming that you have the same issue.

I ended up purchasing a second copy from Amazon UK and of course, it has the same issues (so I'll be returning it). Combined with your response, it definitely seems to be a systematic disc authoring issue.

Crunchyroll customer service didn't help at all, unfortunately. I've tried sending another message through their Instagram several days ago, but haven't heard anything back yet.

They really should issue a new disc, as the viewer is unable to watch one of the episodes with the Japanese dub and English subtitles.

I think I will try contacting their customer service again. Thanks for confirming that you have the same issue.

Post if you get any useful response. If you think it will help tell them you know someone else found the same issue.

I want it fixed as I don't watch dubs. Nothing against those who prefer that but I personally want to hear the original voices and consider that part of the experience. I guess if they don't do anything I'll have to stick with the US release for this.

I am amazed it has been out this long with seemingly no one knowing about it. Maybe everyone is like me and takes forever to get around to watching what they buy. ;)

God, the Crunchyroll customer service is so bad. The poor agents are clearly just responding off a script.

They told me to go to Amazon with my problem (again) 😂 I sent them a literal essay explaining the issue Classroom of the Elite S1 Blu-ray and how there has likely been a disc authoring error. I even mentioned other people have had the same issue and included the affected disc code.

I've asked if they can put me in touch with someone above them, but I haven't got much hope. I may try Tweeting at them to get their attention.

Maybe you should tell them you will report them to the Japanese.
Surely they're breaking the terms of the licence by not providing subtitles with the Japanese audio.
I'm probably half joking.

Maybe you should tell them you will report them to the Japanese.
Surely they're breaking the terms of the licence by not providing subtitles with the Japanese audio.
I'm probably half joking.

That's not a bad idea in all honesty. Twitter might get a better response as it's public and there's nothing like a potential legal breach to move a company into action. I'd write more, but the damn character limit...

I'll go with this: 🫢

1722803598828.png

Crunchyroll November US

11/5 Dragon Ball Super The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Crunchyroll Exclusive
11/5 Dragon Ball Z The Complete Series (Blu-ray) Crunchyroll Exclusive
11/5 One Piece Film: Red Movie (4K + Blu-ray) Steelbook

11/5 Planetes The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
11/5 PSYCHO-PASS Season 1 (Blu-ray)
11/5 PSYCHO-PASS Season 2 (Blu-ray)
11/5 PSYCHO-PASS: Providence Movie (Blu-ray)
11/5 PSYCHO-PASS: Providence Movie (Blu-ray) Limited Edition
11/5 Samurai Champloo Complete Series (Blu-ray) Limited Edition
11/12 Afro Samurai The Complete Series + Movie (Blu-ray) Steelbook

11/12 Space Dandy Complete Series (Blu-ray)
11/12 The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent Season 2 (Blu-ray)
11/26 Attack on Titan Final Season THE FINAL CHAPTERS (Blu-ray/DVD)
11/26 Attack on Titan Final Season THE FINAL CHAPTERS Limited Edition (Blu-ray/DVD)

Crunchyroll November US

11/26 Attack on Titan Final Season THE FINAL CHAPTERS Limited Edition (Blu-ray/DVD)

It's a shame it seems the complete DBZ set is using the ****** 16:9 discs, why are they obsessed with constantly releasing those.

I'm happy enough with my Manga UK singles for DBZ and the complete series set for Super so unlikely I'll be double dipping.

I may double dip on the Film: Red steelbook though, that looks nice! I wonder if AL will bring it over.

I'm yet to own any of Psycho-Pass so plan to eventually pick it up. I wonder if Crunchy UK will also do the re-release of S1 and S2 though Manga UK's S1 still seems to have consistent stock around so maybe just S2 seeing as AL don't have the license anymore, maybe Crunchy UK will throw us a re-release of the original movie as well as AL also used to have that.

Interesting they still don't have Sinners of the System in the U.S. yet, I'd rather have a release with the dub included so waiting out for a U.S. release as AL's release is sub only (plus there is no standard for Sinners of the System over here yet and I don't fancy spending a ton on all the previous CE's / LE's for consistency).

Will definitely be picking up the AoT LE as I have the others for S4. Still need to track down decently priced copies of the S1 and S3 LE's. I have the standard for S1 and for the meantime will just pick up the standard for S3 soon enough just to own it but hope to have the LE's one day.

Think I prefer Crunchy's LE design for Samurai Champloo over MVM's but not bothered enough to import that and will likely just get MVM's at some point.

Space Dandy and Planetes we already have over here via AL so no need for them.

Afro Samurai I watched years ago and didn't mind it but wasn't crazy about it so may give it a re-watch before buying it plus I've never seen the movie.

And Saint's Magic I'm not interested in.

It's a shame it seems the complete DBZ set is using the ****** 16:9 discs, why are they obsessed with constantly releasing those.

I'm guessing CR refuse to use the 30th Anniversary 4:3 release that Manga UK used, for whatever reason. The 16:9 footage is considered the worst presentation of the series. The series was designed and animated with a 4:3 aspect ratio in mind. The 16:9 footage removes a significant amount of the image and looks horribly zoomed in, it is a literal meme at this point. I'm guessing they just pump it out because people just buy it. This rerelease is yet another spit in the face to the fans.

Whilst the Manga UK release (a copy of the 30th anniversary release) isn't perfect they are at least presented in 4:3 and uses artificial film grain to try and emulate the original film scans (it isn't completely scrubbed like how the previous Funimation/CR release is, although some DNR was applied to the 30th Anni release, but to a far lesser extent than previous releases). In my view, the 30th Anniversary footage (i.e., Manga's release in the UK) is the best home video release you can get in terms of picture presentation outside of the level sets (which were never finished) and the Dragon Boxes (out of print and stupidly expensive now).

Dragon Ball is never going to get the official home video release that fans want, unfortunately. Given the significance and popularity of the series, it's crazy what a mess the home releases have been over the years, it has been handled so poorly.

If anyone wants to view the entire series of Dragon Ball/Z/GT as close as possible to the way that it was originally intended, with original Japanese title cards, aspect ratio, original film grain in tact, correct colour, and original Japanese broadcast audio that doesn't sound like characters are speaking through a sock, then you need to find your Captain Jack Sparrow hat and look for a team that rhymes with Peed of Light.

Last edited:
Crunchyroll November US

Wow, big month for me from Crunchyroll US in November, I'll be pre-ordering these :

Crunchyroll November US

STILL no release for MagiRevo nor MyGO, ffs!

According to AOL, Mobile Suit Gundam: Cucuruz Doan's Island has been delayed until October 21st, don't remember the exact date before but it was scheduled for September originally.

STILL no release for MagiRevo nor MyGO, ffs!

MyGo won't be until 2025 most likely, outside shot of December 2024. The JP release only came out in April 2024.

MagiRevo is kind of weird, JP release was May 2023 so perhaps CR deemed it not worth a physical release.

Weird since MagiRevo was popular and well liked when it aired and CR given physical releases for way less popular shows.

CR is just really weird about their choices for physical releases.

Bokutachi no Remake
World's Finest Assassin
Birdie Wing: Golf Girls' Story
Raven of the Inner Palace
The Angel Next Door Spoils Me Rotten

All of those were skipped by CR for physical releases it seems and I enjoyed watching all of them.

Back