Brexit and the UK Anime Industry!

Buzz201 said:
Re:Terraformars, I wonder if Kaze got word Viz were planning to licence it, and delayed their release to wait for the dub, rather than anything nefarious on the part of Warner.
Considering Viz and Kaze are part of the same company and it was solicited as dual-audio, I don't think that's it.

NormanicGrav said:
There's also Nisekoi Season 2 which honestly could be released at any time.
I was focusing on the most recent new licenses from Kaze - for those purposes I considered Nisekoi an ongoing title along with Bleach and Mirai Nikki.

I suspect we'll get Nisekoi before the end of the year.

I'd certainly be interested to see what happens in terms of future Kaze titles - I guess Hunter X Hunter is a potential one given the VIZ connection, along with One Punch Man - but I wonder how closely they'll follow after the US releases?

I always find it interesting to see just how much they release in France - eg. upcoming stuff like Kuroko's Basketball and Rinne.

Lutga said:
I suspect we'll get Nisekoi before the end of the year.

I'd certainly be interested to see what happens in terms of future Kaze titles - I guess Hunter X Hunter is a potential one given the VIZ connection, along with One Punch Man - but I wonder how closely they'll follow after the US releases?

I always find it interesting to see just how much they release in France - eg. upcoming stuff like Kuroko's Basketball and Rinne.

Jerome Mazandriani said that Kaze hadn't inherited Hunter x Hunter from Viz US. Whether that hasn't since changed I don't know. However, they don't have Hunter x Hunter in France or Germany, so whether they'd pick it up solely for the UK, I don't know.

Jerome also said that some longer shows (Yowamushi Pedal and I think something else were the examples he gave) stream well, but those sales don't translate to home video. Manga suspect Hunter x Hunter will be one of those*, so they wouldn't be acquiring it either.

*I'm kinda with him, I think it's a bit too niche. Though maybe it being dubbed would help.

I think streaming would definitely harm a long-running title like that (in the same way it's slowly whittled down sales for even Naruto), but I think especially with the Toonami boost and the presence of a dub, Hunter X Hunter would be a lot less risky than something like Gintama or Yowamushi Pedal.

I just keep coming back to the whole thing of 'what's left?' when it comes to Manga - apart from a handful of arguably mid-tier Sentai titles and the perenial strong sellers of 'kids' shows (eg. Yu Gi Oh etc.) it's hard to see what else is left for them to release, and as more and more of their older titles expire, it kind of feels like their presence in the UK market is getting even smaller.

Lutga said:
I think streaming would definitely harm a long-running title like that (in the same way it's slowly whittled down sales for even Naruto), but I think especially with the Toonami boost and the presence of a dub, Hunter X Hunter would be a lot less risky than something like Gintama or Yowamushi Pedal.

I just keep coming back to the whole thing of 'what's left?' when it comes to Manga - apart from a handful of arguably mid-tier Sentai titles and the perenial strong sellers of 'kids' shows (eg. Yu Gi Oh etc.) it's hard to see what else is left for them to release, and as more and more of their older titles expire, it kind of feels like their presence in the UK market is getting even smaller.

It sounds like the non-anime stuff is doing well for Animatsu, so I suspect we'll see Animatsu move to a more Madman-esque role. Jerome has spoken of trying to licence Steven Universe, so maybe we'll see more of that type of thing. However, I'm kinda with you, I'm concerned about what is left for them and Manga.

Buzz201 said:
Lutga said:

It sounds like the non-anime stuff is doing well for Animatsu, so I suspect we'll see Animatsu move to a more Madman-esque role. Jerome has spoken of trying to licence Steven Universe, so maybe we'll see more of that type of thing. However, I'm kinda with you, I'm concerned about what is left for them and Manga.

For sure. I mean, it seems like RWBY has done fantastically for them, so I expect to see more like that.

The trouble there though, is how much that moves them as an entity away from the core anime business. RWBY, I was personally interested in, but the other stuff like Red vs. Blue or Steven Universe doesn't really appeal to me - so if they just become 'geek culture' in general, it might water things down a little. From a business point of view, it makes sense - but on the flip side it doesn't help fill the still considerable hole of anime titles getting a US release but not a UK one (I'm looking at Discotek here mainly).

Lutga said:
For sure. I mean, it seems like RWBY has done fantastically for them, so I expect to see more like that.

The trouble there though, is how much that moves them as an entity away from the core anime business. RWBY, I was personally interested in, but the other stuff like Red vs. Blue or Steven Universe doesn't really appeal to me - so if they just become 'geek culture' in general, it might water things down a little. From a business point of view, it makes sense - but on the flip side it doesn't help fill the still considerable hole of anime titles getting a US release but not a UK one (I'm looking at Discotek here mainly).

I suspect BBFC fees and a significantly smaller market rule out much of the shows Discotek licenses anyway.

It's a shame, as Discotek have a few titles I'd pick up in a heartbeat if they received UK releases. Mainly the four Monster Rancher releases, but others as well.

Yeah, I've pretty much given up hope on much older anime coming out here. I had a brief ray of hope when Anime Ltd released Honneamise - I'd kill for a few more releases in the vein of that.

I'd love for Anime Ltd to release some more pre-digital anime on blu-ray. It's great they're releasing Gundam, but Sunrise are too liberal with the DNR and I like grain.

Yup - pre 00s anime is fast becoming the white whale of the UK anime industry. I joked once that if it wasn't for original DBZ/Kai, we'd barely have anything out that sold decently on that front (beside Ghibli, Akira etc).

Being realistic, yes, a lot of it won't sell - but I'd love to see Manga return to their old school 'beer and pizza' stuff - Fist of the North Star, Wicked City etc.

Maybe they should do a new version of the Manga Collection, but less of the guff titles (Vampire Wars, I'm looking at you)

I'm definitely all for pre-2000 era shows / titles, and we are getting quite a few films. However, I imagine series are incredibly difficult due to production committees and approvals. There was a recent Answerman that goes into more detail, but the time/effort/cost to get approvals from so many people that are off doing other things (and even finding those people) means more recent shows are a heck of a lot easier/quicker to license and release.

Even stuff from themid to late 2000's is proving difficult. Look at Nerima Daikon Brothers and Mai Mai Miracle. It's obvious it's so much easier to license a title when it's being worked on as the committees are all still together.

elaniel said:
I'm definitely all for pre-2000 era shows / titles, and we are getting quite a few films. However, I imagine series are incredibly difficult due to production committees and approvals. There was a recent Answerman that goes into more detail, but the time/effort/cost to get approvals from so many people that are off doing other things (and even finding those people) means more recent shows are a heck of a lot easier/quicker to license and release.

Even stuff from themid to late 2000's is proving difficult. Look at Nerima Daikon Brothers and Mai Mai Miracle. It's obvious it's so much easier to license a title when it's being worked on as the committees are all still together.

I suspect some of that is what AL are trying to do. If they just did discs in amarays, like Discotek generally do, approvals would probably speed up quite significantly.

Without dragging this into politics as I did with the exchange rate thread, I do at least think this situation speaks of the divide. If the exit does go through then it's going to damage/risk taking away something from another culture that a portion of the population enjoy engaging in.

Has anyone from the UK anime industry weighed in on the situation anywhere?

HellCat said:
Without dragging this into politics as I did with the exchange rate thread, I do at least think this situation speaks of the divide. If the exit does go through then it's going to damage/risk taking away something from another culture that a portion of the population enjoy engaging in.

Has anyone from the UK anime industry weighed in on the situation anywhere?

Jerome told people on Twitter to keep calm and that it wasn't a complete disaster.

Andrew said on Twitter that BDs were manufactured in Poland and a result prices would now rise. Andrew seemed more pissed off about it than Jerome did, which is weird given Jerome was actively campaigning for remain.

Recent News about the EU and The EU Customs Union led me to wonder if these are different and that it's possible to have one even without the other? My hope is that possibly remaining inside the EU Customs Union at least would allow those of us who import to continue to avoid customs as I think most of the US releases I buy go through some EU country first or Guernsey and the union means I avoid any customs tariff upon delivery.

Assuming they are both different and one can exist without the other then I cannot even begin to question why on earth anyone would campaign to leave a customs union :?, well other than the greedy tax man. How fantastic would a customs union for the UK with the US and Japan be!? :twisted:

Blaize said:
Recent News about the EU and The EU Customs Union led me to wonder if these are different and that it's possible to have one even without the other? My hope is that possibly remaining inside the EU Customs Union at least would allow those of us who import to continue to avoid customs as I think most of the US releases I buy go through some EU country first or Guernsey and the union means I avoid any customs tariff upon delivery.

Assuming they are both different and one can exist without the other then I cannot even begin to question why on earth anyone would campaign to leave a customs union :?, well other than the greedy tax man. How fantastic would a customs union for the UK with the US and Japan be!? :twisted:

Being part of the Customs Union means:
- You have to have no tarriffs with EU countries. The EU decides whether or not other countries are permitted to join, and thus countries outside the EU have no say in the matter.
- You impose a tarriff set by the EU on all external states. Countries not in the EU have no say on this.
- The EU represents you at the WTO. The EU acts on its own interests in these representations.
- You have to adopt certain EU legislation that directly relates to the customs. You have no say on this legislation if you are not in the EU.

Any one of these things is anathema to those who want to "take back control" even if this means having a slate of options every one of which is far worse than the position if a bit of said control was ceded. Which is basically the position of anyone who would have a post-brexit UK not join EFTA.

It's basically meant as an option for countries wishing to join the single market but who don't meet the requirements to do so (like Turkey) or countries who don't want to join the single market but are small enough that it's both in their interest to latch onto the EU in this respect and there is no significant impact on the EU of them doing so (like Monaco).

Back