Brainjar TV - HdE's Youtube channel

I've considered DailyMotion previously, as a 'not only, but also' kind of option. As far as I can tell, it's harder to reach numbers of people, but they're more generous with what they let you keep in terms of ad revenue. And nowhere does Youtube state that they own your video content, so there's that.

The big thing for me is numbers and views. It's simply not worth the effort if I'm going to get low views in the bracket that some of the anime review pages over on DailyMotion have. Even bigger YouTubers seem to struggle over there.

Then again, this is all very early days, still. I'm told that it's not worth evaluating the success of your channel until you have 20 videos up (in my case, I'm viewing that as 20 reviews.) Right now, things aren't where I'd like them to be, with some videos struggling to manage 100 views. But there are a LOT of factors that mitigate that at the moment.

I've had a few folks contact me today with suggestions as to how I can combat the YAM infection (apt phrasing - these guys are a disease!) so I'm looking over all those and weighing them against the stuff I've already researched.

Stay tuned, folks!

ilmaestro said:
Good luck, HdE, nice to see you aren't giving up!

Thanks, Ilmaestro.
If I can survive the occasional toxicity of the comics biz, then I can nail this one way or the other.

At great personal cost, I managed to squeak out one last review before the end of the year!

This time, I take a look at the Dirty Pair OVAs, which comprise a ten episode continuation of the popular 1980s mega-hit.

12359901_986701078053754_2211965760137856142_n.jpg

Linky-pooz: https://youtu.be/j8j0iFXWWbs

If I was to sum up Dirty Pair I'd probably go with: "Awesome, needs more Kei. Also, more Yuri... not that Yuri."

I'd say I probably pretty much agree with your review. I do think it might have been interesting to see a show with an ongoing storyline using such a great pair of main characters. That said, I have no problem with episodic shows and I don't know if it'd be worth giving up the Dirty Pair we have for some other form of it (though I'd take additions if possible, I didn't even hate Flash as some people seem to).

Regarding the nostalgia point, I watched Dirty Pair for the first time not too long ago and I haven't really been an anime fan for as long as many (though I guess it's getting on a bit at this point) so I'm not really sure that nostalgia is a factor. I suppose a more general nostalgia not specific to anime may still be relevant in my case but I think Dirty Pair is just well regarded because it's well made and does pretty much what it's supposed to. Perhaps if they had built a deep and interesting story then that itself might have been overshadowed by newer works. That the show leans more on it's general sense of fun and strong characters may be the main reason that it's still a good watch today.

Also, you mispelled "Kei" in the scrolling text at the end.

Smeelia said:
If I was to sum up Dirty Pair I'd probably go with: "Awesome, needs more Kei. Also, more Yuri... not that Yuri."

ALL anime needs more Yuri! And no - not that Yuri. (Dirty Pair actually started my whole fascination with blue-haired girls. But that's a whole other discussion! :p )

Gotta say, Smeelia - it puts a big cheesy grin on my face when people take the time to comment on these videos. It's the best validation I can get for making them.

At the end of the day, I'm kind of happy to take Dirty Pair for what it is. When I was about 15 and anime had just started to arrive in the UK courtesy of Manga Video, I had a few school pals who were interested in it. And Dirty Pair was one of the 'must see' shows. It was tough to actually watch it though, because it seldom got more than a mention in a fanzine. The only episodes I ever saw were on imported video tapes at a friend's house. And what I saw was always entertaining, but left me wishing there was maybe more of a hook to it than the self contained adventures.

I didn't actually get to see the original series in full until Nozomi's thinpack DVD releases appeared. Seeing as they've put out everything, it was a good excuse to nab the lot - yes, even Flash!

It's always been interesting to me that the franchise has seen a little experimentation with format. My disappointment in the coninued episodic format of the OVAs sort of stems from the fact that the TV show at least attempted a two parter, and the movies are a bit more ambitious. So, never having seen the OVAs before, I was hoping for a bit more breaking of the formula. But, like I say in the review, what's there is absolutely fine. Actually better than that - it's FUN! We could stand to have a bit more entertainment that fits that description these days, I think.

I'm kind of ssurprised that Sunrise hasn't gone back to revisit the show since Flash. If they could put together a new series with the same feel of the original and maybe a longer running plotline, I think that could be awesome. And of course, it wouldn't erase any of what came before.

But that's just one of my personal anime dream scenarios.

A resurrected Dirty Pair strikes me as not out of the question in the current climate, but much of the original show's appeal to me is tied up in the visuals (both the art and the remarkably good production), so I kind of worry about what a new version would look like. I take your point about it not harming the earlier one, but I can't say my wee face didn't fall when I clapped eyes on the trailer for Macross Delta, or anything relating to Arslan Senki, for that matter.

It's not so much the idea of them changing the style that bothers me, it's more just the thought that we might end up with something that looks so bland and indistinct that it loses its sense of identity.

Also, to paraphrase the Cat from Red Dwarf, I'd go with Yuri, but I'd be thinking about Kei.

Professor Irony said:
A resurrected Dirty Pair strikes me as not out of the question in the current climate, but much of the original show's appeal to me is tied up in the visuals (both the art and the remarkably good production), so I kind of worry about what a new version would look like.

This is why I add the heavy caveat of 'with the same feel of the original'. Any reboot done wrong is a lamentable thing to witness.

Professor Irony said:
Also, to paraphrase the Cat from Red Dwarf, I'd go with Yuri, but I'd be thinking about Kei.

NOOOO! Yuri all the way! Yuri wins 'best girl' every time! :p

Back