Brainjar TV - HdE's Youtube channel

HdE

Comic Book Guy
Yep. Pretty much what the thread title says.

I figured I'd try putting together a Youtube anime review channel as a little side project to everything else I'm doing. Because, evidently, I'm a masochist who needs even more things to do in the week.

I've already got a couple of reviews up, although one seemed to fall foul of the Content ID system no matter how I edited it or protested. Anyways - if you fancy keeping an eye on it and seeing what I fill it with, you can find me as Brainjar TV over there. I'm hoping to make the reviews bi-weekly, and there's already a bit of content up.

Re: So, I went and started an anime review channel on Youtube...

Actually i was thinking of doing the same... but I have no idea where to start I have ideas and I have a cam and audacity and a handycam.

Maybe we can help each other do the same thing.

I have this cam but I have no idea what to put the settings on... like I want it to be perfect as I either record my self or I so voice overs.

So what you got

Ooohh... sounds like you're going to be doing something a bit different to me, AF. So I wouldn't know where to begin.

My channel was very much a matter of trying things out to see how I got on with different things. I'll never post them, but I have about three reviews that I put together just to try things out with the software and other bits I'm using.

It seems bogus to say 'here's how I did it' when I have, like, two videos up and 12 subscribers. But if it helps you, here's the approach I used:

1. I have a REALLY clear idea about what I want to do. I'm trying to be informative, down to earth and a little bit humourous. But not excessively crude or OTT zany like some reviewers. Basically, the content I'm creating is what I'd want to see, as a guy nearing 40, if anime had a short review section on a TV show or something. What you want to do will likely be completely different to what I'm doing. Just make sure you feel comfortable with what you do.

2. I went in forewarned. You WILL get content ID and copyright infringement claims thrown at you, so learn in advance how serious these are and what your defense should be. Know the boundaries of fair use and be prepared to back down and alter your approach when people like Bandai and Sony flag your content. Within the letter of the law, they're in the wrong to do so if you're reviewing and doing so conscientiously. But you'll still need to know when to back down. If you're not fussed about getting mondo page views and monies, this isn't too big a concern.

3. I learned the software and hardware I needed to use. You'll need to do this, too. In fact, allow yourself a month or two just to fiddle about with what you have and work out how to get the best results from it.

I was in a position to throw some money at this venture, so I bought a Blue Yeti microphone and a pop shield. I used to play music years ago, so I had a mic stand already. You NEED good quality audio on your videos. Don't use a headset mic if you can help it. My trial run videos were recorded using the headset I skype with, and it generated loads of nasty handling noise. Also, I have a voice that's naturally sibilant (meaning: any 'ssss' or 'chh' sounds in words are emphasised when I speak) so that all gets amplified. Basically, a decent mic and pop shield make me about 150% more audible.

Audacity is a REALLY powerful piece of software, too. But it'll take practice to get the best from it, and that can be daunting. I'm still struggling to get the best from it, and while I'm editing out a lot of nasty mouth noises and things, there's still a lot of stuff I need to get better at minimising and cutting out.

Best bet: if you have anything you need to learn to use better, see if there are tutorials on Youtube.

4. I have a script. Every time. I spend about as much time on this as I do on the video editing, although I tend to record my ideas out loud into my tablet's sound recorder as I'm working on comics. Working from script is good, because it makes you sound more confident and authoritative right away.

I hope that's useful! Don't forget to follow my channel, and good luck!

The experience of dealing with the youtube copyright police was enough to sour me on the whole endeavour, at least as far as doing spoken reviews over clips of footage goes. If you can manage it, I'd strongly recommend trying some other means of doing the review, be it presenting to camera, putting audio over still frames, or anything else you can come up with.

Best of luck with it anyway :)

Don't worry I have a good handycam that works so audio won't be a problem.

I got it...

Like you said I need practices so what I'm going to do is start with reply videos to some of th hot shot anime reviewers and build my concordance and stop my stuttering..... wish it would go away.. il keep going til I'm confident enough to make my own reviews

Professor Irony said:
The experience of dealing with the youtube copyright police was enough to sour me on the whole endeavour, at least as far as doing spoken reviews over clips of footage goes. If you can manage it, I'd strongly recommend trying some other means of doing the review, be it presenting to camera, putting audio over still frames, or anything else you can come up with.

It's definitely a minefield. The Sky Crawlers review I posted on my channel kept getting content ID notices until I stripped it right back to static images, while another video which I felt SURE would earn similar notices in light of that has gone through with no issues.

You can circumvent the content ID wrangles with a bit of careful planning and research (to make sure you don't do a wrong thing) but even then, the scope is there to have a nasty surprise along the way. All part of the learning curve, I guess.

Part of the process for me is going to be seeing how folks react when I have to simplify my approach from time to time. My second video is doing about as well as my first was on it's first day online, so thats hopeful. And it earned me a couple of fresh subscribers. That's a win, I'd say. Fingers crossed the trend continues!

Due to a big ol' techie mix-up, I've made the latest video on the channel accessible a week earlier than planned.

For this one, I tackled 'Berserk - The Egg of the King'. So if you want to see what I made of that, head on over to BrainjarTV and give it a looky-see!

Got anymore advice for me.

How the hell did you make background different colours.

Also how long do you keep a clip in til you stop to avoid copy rights is it 10 secs.. also do you change the voices to do the same.

I'm working on my ursa rant video...
I need more advice

Script always comes first.

Biggest tip I can give you (that was passed down to me from on high) is to give audio your priority. Some people are listening to Youtube on headphones or have it on for background noise while they do other things, and they may not even LOOK at your visuals. So anything that helps you to come across as confident and polished helps.

I don't have a lot of time to put my reviews together, but I usually take 3 or 4 evenings over them, in sittings of maybe 1 - 3 hours each time, to edit them down and keep the from being horrible, boring crap.

--- waits for someone to tell him his video are horrible, boring crap ---

As for the duration of clips, you're really in the lap of the gods, there. It's a fallacy that keeping clips nder a certain length will protect you if The Man decides he doesn't want you using them. But keeping them short and not using massive segments will definitely help your case if you have to justify your work under terms of fair use.

Altering the aspect ratio and using custom frames seems to be a better way to avoid your video sections getting flagged by the content ID system. Those are things I'm still looking into and hoping I can work out for future videos. I'd really like to get a software upgrade from the stuff I'm using.

As for changing the colour of frames... that's a trade secret! :wink: But if you poke around in your video editing software, there's bound to be something that'll help you.

Actually I have some info you might be interested in ... in fact I'm sure you'd want to know more for your videos..... all thanks to gigguk

Watch this

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AZyCxiA-oFs

And read this.... there is another video on there on how to get past copyright for videos

http://gigguk.tumblr.com/post/22857533771/azvideoreview

Now if you have read these I know what your thinking.... why haven't I used and done this...... well because I guess I'm not very confident in my own creations and not forgetting that he in my house ITS very noisy and hard to concentrate.............It's really disheartening really

Ah yeah - Gigguk's great! Seen that video before, but it's always worth a share.

If it's any consolation, AF, I can't look at ANYTHING I've done, whether it's these videos, the reviews I write for AUKN, my comics work or even the lettering work I do for indie publishers and say 'you know what? I'm perfectly happy with that.' There's always going to be *something* that sticks out to me because I know what hiccups occurred as I was putting it together. Or with reviews, it might be the odd bit of repetition that I didn't catch when I was editing it down, or a weird turn of phrase.

The thing is, you have to start somewhere. And it's okay to make gaffes and mistakes as you go. That's how you learn, and anyone who crucifies you for them is a dick.

I totally get what you say about being in a noisy environment as well. I actually have to pick the times I use to record my commentaries strategically, as I share flat with somebody and we frequently have visitors. I'm one of those people who feels very self conscious about talking into a microphone if I know other people are going to be overhearing it as I work, so I HAVE to be alone in the flat to do it. The lack of distractions certainly helps.

Dude..... thanks for the lift up... i needed it.

So your saying.....

Even if I miss out on data
Even if I screw up on the microphone
It's ok because I will get better and even if I didn't do a good job on it I can redo it in the future right...... you know WHAT...... you lift me up out of my depression ....

I'm doing this video about ursa from avatar saying she is a awful mother and why.. that's my starting video..... I know avatar isn't a anime but it's a good series non the less.

Hey maybe you could do video responses to topics too like this......actually everyone should watch this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHAcb9CbwlA

Talk about ridiculous am I right

D'aww, you...

I'm glad I could help, AF. The way I see it, doing the Youtube thing - or ANY creative endeavour, really - isn't about being the best, or being as cool as that one guy or gal who made it look like a fun gig. Just do YOUR best and, if it's something you really want to pursue, keep trying and thinking about ways to do better all the time.

Nobody decides to do anything and gets it 100% right straight away. Everything's a learning curve. I have a friend who plays guiar to a pro standard, and it's amazing how many people think he just popped out of his mum with a Fender Strat in his hands, magically wailing away like he does from day one. They don't see the hours he spent every day practicing, or all the times he messed up a solo at a gig. It's like the old joke goes:

"Excuse me... can you tell me how to get to Carnegie Hall?"
"Son... ya gotta practice!"

Even when you feel pretty good about the quality of what you've created, having an eye on ways to make it even better is what keeps things interesting and fun. Just do your thing, be you, and that'll make it unique. As long as you're producing stuff, you'll be learning as you go. :)

Actually I'm not doing it to be the best but to get points across and opinions to others and try to get them to see it from my point of view and trust me I have been on YouTube comments and threads that have had a lot of people who refuse to see it from your point of view..... that's why I'm doing it.... not because I'm biased but because I want people to listen to my views and hopefully they will come to understand why I stand by my views......

Also I like to be able to get people to see anime as it is... a form of entertainment that isn't so different from what others like on tv.

I like to say which anime is underrated and get others to watch them

I want to be able to support the industry and get others to as well.

I want to get back in to my unboxing videos.... which I have a new cam for.

I want to be able make people laugh

I want to be able to get people to be aware of important events and news.

I want to be able to say..... this is a good series but some won't like it because it's a mech show but give it ago anyways.

I want to say I don't like this series because ...... so and so.

I have the heart to do it .......an want to do it.

But it's the distractions that keep me doing it...

The dogs
The phone
The talking and shouting
The loud music or tv
The door
My choirs
My work that takes 3 hours to do
And then there's my anime I have to get though

I am so busy during the day and ironically the only time it is silent is when everyone has gone to bed... which is perfect silence but I don't want to because I don't want to wake anyone or let anyone hear me.

It's a no win situation.

But you know your 100% right on that last part. And I will continue.

Thank you so much.

Will you do me a favour.... when I do my videos.... would you be the first to watch them to see if they are ok.....

Give me a prod when they're up and I'll definitely take a look!

I'm going to do it simple and make video responses first.... making reviews is out of my league... for now

Yeah I'm going with gigguk advice and get my opinions out their on subject matters first and foremost.
In fact it's the most simplest idea that there is

Back