Beez Entertainment Discussion

DaNiMe-sama said:
Jayme said:
CitizenGeek said:
I'm surprised to hear that about the French market (that it's much bigger than the UK market) to be honest. If I'm not mistaken, the populations of the UK and of France are more or less the same. Is it just a case that more French people like anime?

I think the French like animation more in general. I don't think they have that generic mind-line of 'its for kids'.

That goes for more or less all the European countries except the UK, that's why we get everything last. Such a shame.

Yeah, it would appear that way. I remember when I was in Spain, anime was taken much more seriously. There was always at least one anime show on TV (of the 20 or so that I had) and every single DVD shop had at least a few anime titles. They even had titles that hadn't been localised to America (like Monster) on DVD.

CitizenGeek said:
Yeah, it would appear that way. I remember when I was in Spain, anime was taken much more seriously. There was always at least one anime show on TV (of the 20 or so that I had) and every single DVD shop had at least a few anime titles. They even had titles that hadn't been localised to America (like Monster) on DVD.

That's interesting to hear.

Thinking about it more, hotter countries seem to have people with more open minds, hahaha, America gets hot more than it does here, and it's the same is true for Spain/France etc, and of course Japan. Even in summer it can be raining here though : p. Though that's probably nothing to do with it.

Yeah, I was really quite amazed at anime and manga's popularity in Spain. I was in Barcelona, in the Catalonia region. This region has it's own language, and I was surprised to see that so much anime had been dubbed into Catalan just for that one region. Spain ftw, it would seem!

If you looked at it this way, anime market in the UK maybe smaller than rest of Europe but has the potential to be the biggest.

Video game sales in the UK dwarf all of Europe's (UK sales alone account for 33% of the PAL market and 3rd biggest in the world) titles such as Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts have a huge fan base in the UK (probably larger than anywhere else in Europe), a fan base which might be unaware of the world of anime.

Final Fantasy sales here are lot larger than Europe. I think I read in EDGE that the UK is 3rd largest market after America and Japan for Final Fantasy and such titles as FF6 for the PS1 was released exclusively for the UK.

J_C_X makes a good point. Final Fantasy was my gateway to anime, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone. FFXII topped the UK charts for two weeks in a row, beating off a brand new urban game (Crackdown) for a brand new console. I think it's fairly safe to say that the people that play FF would be much, much more open to anime than most other people. So, if companies try to harness this fanbase, I think it'd be good for anime over here!

If your gonna go through he final fantasy route then they would have to focus on any anime products done by squaresoft.
They did the full metal alchemist game so you go from there.

"From the creators of final fantasy and kingdom heart comes full metal alchemist "blah blah".

Then on this game you have 2 discs features episode 5 from the hit anime series,then if people like it you also have previews to other anime.

All anime needs to be a big hit is just advertisement really but no company seems whiling to.

MTW said:
All anime needs to be a big hit is just advertisement really but no company seems whiling to.

Does Manga Force count?
Hey Kids, do you like manga?
gah!! it's pronounced anime, damnit, ANIME!! *rant rant rant*

Didn't ADV bundle Samurai Gun with a computer game not long ago? I don't think it did awfully well because, well, it was Samurai Gun ;)

heh, how about we get a movement going for visual novels and eroge games in the UK. Now that will increase anime sales *snicker*
(watches anime credibility go down the pan yet again...)

Being serious for a sec though, how about bundling an Anime Central coverdisk with several high profile games?

Fellistowe said:
MTW said:

Does Manga Force count?
Hey Kids, do you like manga?
gah!! it's pronounced anime, damnit, ANIME!! *rant rant rant*

Didn't ADV bundle Samurai Gun with a computer game not long ago? I don't think it did awfully well because, well, it was Samurai Gun ;)

heh, how about we get a movement going for visual novels and eroge games in the UK. Now that will increase anime sales *snicker*
(watches anime credibility go down the pan yet again...)

Being serious for a sec though, how about bundling an Anime Central coverdisk with several high profile games?

Or maybe 2 episode 6 of whatever there showing on anime central a free disk in one of those cardboard sleeves.
(if you go for episode 1 theres no suspense)

It's all good talking about potential but if someone could bridge the gap between JRPGs and anime, it might just help the industry. The UK JRPG market is far stronger to any other the rest of Europe, which should in all rights tied into anime, hell you could even count Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil.

Blue Dragon could pull it off, however it seems it's marketed at children. If not Devil May Cry could also prove successful.

I have to agree with J_C_X.
I hadn't known that our gaming market was so much bigger than the rest of Europe. I think everything you've said about it is totally spot on, it will probably never happen though, which is such a shame.

It's the largest in the PAL (Europe, Middle East, Africa and Austrailia) terratories as well.

EDGE had a great article on Final Fantasy a few months ago, it pointed out that FF6 was released for the PS1 eclusively in the UK. Reasons were that it was in English and the UK is the largest PAL market for Final Fantasy.

I really think anime could take off in the UK, it just has to be marketed right but I'm sure animecentral will do well though.

I'm going to bump this topic up, because Andrew was online yesturday and either ignored it, or missed it, so if it's near the top there's more chance of him seeing it..

Lupus Inu said:
... why not just PM him about the topic? >_>

Don't you think I already thought of that... I created this topic so anyone can see it, and anyone can post what they think to it. It is a forum after all. Smart ****. :)

DaNiMe-sama said:
Bumpety bump.

Going to try this for another time, if there's no reply soon then I guess it's mission failed.
I am fairly sure that Andrew stated he probably wouldn't have the time to answer much on any particular topics and that he would be registering on forums to keep the fanbase informed on some of the developments at BEEZ.

Gawyn said:
DaNiMe-sama said:
Bumpety bump.

Going to try this for another time, if there's no reply soon then I guess it's mission failed.
I am fairly sure that Andrew stated he probably wouldn't have the time to answer much on any particular topics and that he would be registering on forums to keep the fanbase informed on some of the developments at BEEZ.

Was this at Amecon? I know that the people who work in the industry are incredibly busy, but as I have been saying, it's in everyone's interest to have more contact from fans to representitives. If what you say is correct though, that is a shame.

DaNiMe-sama said:
Gawyn said:
DaNiMe-sama said:
Bumpety bump.

Was this at Amecon? I know that the people who work in the industry are incredibly busy, but as I have been saying, it's in everyone's interest to have more contact from fans to representitives. If what you say is correct though, that is a shame.
As mentioned elsewhere it might be better to post on BEEZ own boards (they have a fully functioning English site now, you know ;)) or e-mail them. If Andrew (or Tony [MVM] or Hugh [ADV] or any others for that matter) answered questions on forums they would undoubtedly get swamped by questions by fans hungry for inside knowledge. The best policy really is to answer none since that is the fairest way; answer a few and you will annoy many; answer many and it impacts your job. Just be glad that the likes of Andrew are (potentially) reading your comments, taking notes and attempting to better their respective companies' efforts to bring you what you want.

Back