BBFC Passed Anime Updates

IRufBZw.png

K-On! Season 1
for sexualised images, moderate sex references, mild comic threat, infrequent very mild bad language, injury detail

K-On! Season 2
for discriminatory language, moderate sex references

ON-GAKU: Our Sound
for brief sexual harassment

LafvyeQ.png

Code Geass: Akito the Exiled
for strong bloody images, strong bloody violence, nudity

Tenchi Muyo! War On Geminar
for sexualised images, sexualised nudity, abusive behaviour, sexual threat

BU8HIla.png

Plunderer
for sexual assault, sexualised images, bloody images, violence, injury detail

Seitokai Yakuindomo
for strong sex references

K-On rated 12? What changed? It used to be rated PG…
Episodes 4, 10 & 12 apparently gave the first season a 12 as a result.

There is a scene in which the schoolgirls' teacher claims that one of them is pretending to be her older sister, the reason being that her breasts are a different size to those of her sibling. There is also a sequence in which the girls dress in various outfits, one of which looks like a 'Playboy bunny' outfit. There is also occasional focus on the bodies of the schoolgirls in the episode, although no nudity is shown.

There is some mild comic slapstick violence, and a scene in which a girl sneezes so violently that her mucus flies across the room.
There is a scene in which several schoolgirls sit in a hot communal bath, with other girls nearby. They are all apparently naked but no nudity is clearly shown. There is also a reference to the girls' "bust size" by their teacher, who tells two schoolgirls that the only way she will be able to tell them apart is by comparing their breasts. She is hit by one of the girls before she can do this. There is also occasional focus on the bodies of the schoolgirls in the episode, such as when they play on the beach in their bikinis, although no nudity is shown.

There is some mild bad language including a use of "morons".
There is some close-up focus on the physical attributes of young, female characters wearing bikinis and a maid's outfit.

There is very mild bad language ('darn').

Episodes 4, 10 & 12 apparently gave the first season a 12 as a result.

I wonder why Funimangle resubmitted it...? Must be for streaming.

Would you believe that Season 2 is rated G in Australia? Equivalent of a U. Indeed Manga's Volumes 2 and 4 are still on the BBFC website results with the PG rating, so essentially the same episodes are listed on the site with two ratings simultaneously. What a complete shower of uselessness the BBFC has become!

EDIT: BTW, where do you find those BBFC analyses?

Call me petty, but I have a long held grudge against the BBFC for banning Manhunt 2. Nothing has changed my mind about them since, but I'm sure glad that Pegi strong armed video game ratings from them.

I had no point to make with this post other than to vocalise that lol.

Call me petty, but I have a long held grudge against the BBFC for banning Manhunt 2. Nothing has changed my mind about them since, but I'm sure glad that Pegi strong armed video game ratings from them.

I had no point to make with this post other than to vocalise that lol.
was this before or after the game came out? i remember getting it on psp and having to patch it to remove the censoring, i remember some shops refusing to carry it or the first one but that's all i can remember

I wonder why Funimangle resubmitted it...? Must be for streaming.

Would you believe that Season 2 is rated G in Australia? Equivalent of a U. Indeed Manga's Volumes 2 and 4 are still on the BBFC website results with the PG rating, so essentially the same episodes are listed on the site with two ratings simultaneously. What a complete shower of uselessness the BBFC has become!

EDIT: BTW, where do you find those BBFC analyses?
They're on the BBFC site, if you click on the links I added to each title the more recent listings have individual episode ratings that sometimes gives a rating.

For example Plunderer got an 18 because of two episodes:
There is a scene in which a male character shoves a female character to the floor, shoves a carrot into her mouth and pinches her nose so she is unable to breathe. As he does this, he makes comments of a sexual nature. In another scene, a soldier grins as he pushes the barrel of his rifle into a girl's breasts as he prepares to kill her.

There is some strong violence and associated injury detail, with sight of blood as characters are shot or stabbed.
There are flashback sequences which depict a young teenage male looking up the skirt of a teenage girl repeatedly, grinning as he does so. There is no nudity in these sequences. As these flashbacks are shown, the girl - now older - complains that the older boy doesn't like her because her breasts are small. There are also scenes in which teenage characters reveal their breasts to other characters, and one older female character forces others to drink alcohol, saying that if they don't drink up she will grope them. Later she gropes a teenager's breasts, and demands that the teenage girls strip down to their bikinis to show her their bodies.

There is sexualised breast nudity on occasion, and frequent alcohol use.
Big Order also has a mixture of 15s and 18s.

tspkXzz.png

Aria the Animation
for very mild threat, very mild bad language, violence, rude humour, very mild sex references, very mild slapstick, very mild scary scene, very mild comic violence

m1WCQEZ.png

Over the Sky (for theatrical)
for mild threat, fantasy violence, language

IRufBZw.png

Pompo: The Cinéphile (12A for theatrical)
for infrequent sexualised images

Summer Ghost (12A for theatrical)
for suicide references

Sword Art Online: Progressive - Aria Of A Starless Night (12A for theatrical)
for moderate fantasy violence

LafvyeQ.png

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure: Stone Ocean [Episodes 1-12] (for Netflix streaming)
for sexual violence, injury detail, suicide, threat, sexual threat, violence

Kaiba
for strong sexualised images, infrequent child sex abuse references, brief gory images, moderate threat, disturbing images

The Skull Man
for strong bloody images, strong violence, injury detail, threat

BU8HIla.png

The Hentai Prince and the Stony Cat
for strong sex references, sexual assault

Last edited:
I watched it years ago and don't remember anything egregious, but it could get quite raunchy at times. Seems the BBFC are coming down quite hard on the sort of thing that wouldn't shock anyone who's been watching anime for a while.

Edit: from episode 6

"There is a scene in which a teenage girl is handcuffed by a teenage boy who rubs her stomach before she stops his assault from going any further."

No recollection of this at all 🤔

Last edited:
Can I ask, is the show really that disturbing and horrible or are they overreacting a bit? I know that appearances can be deceptive but like... it just looks so soft, fluffy and cute from what little exposure I've had to it? I would have expected a 15 at most?
Pretty much almost all of it was rated 15 except for that one episode that they mentioned had an assault.

m1WCQEZ.png

Cardcaptor Sakura
for mild violence, mild fantasy threat

IRufBZw.png

Kanon (2006 series)
for moderate fantasy violence, moderate sex references, brief moderate threat

Nichijou: My Ordinary Life
for moderate violence, moderate sex references, rude humour

Venus Versus Virus
for discriminatory language, moderate bad language, moderate fantasy violence, threat

LafvyeQ.png

Air
for brief bloody image, moderate sex references, brief bloody image
Note: 1 episode increased the rating overall

BU8HIla.png

Akudama Drive
for strong bloody violence, gore, sexual threat
Note: 1 episode increased the rating overall

I wonder if 'Interspecies Reviewers' would be censored if released in the UK. I understand it has been refused classification in Australia. Films: I #2 | Censor | Refused-Classification.com

I watched a few episodes and I think a lot of it would need to be removed for an '18' cert. I think this series is the most explicit of the recent ecchi titles.
The uncensored opening contains explicit shots of genitals (1:00, unheard of in non-hentai titles)

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if 'Interspecies Reviewers' would be censored if released in the UK. I understand it has been refused classification in Australia. Films: I #2 | Censor | Refused-Classification.com

I watched a few episodes and I think a lot of it would need to be removed for an '18' cert. I think this series is the most explicit of the recent ecchi titles.
The uncensored opening contains explicit shots of genitals (unheard of in non-hentai titles) and there are other episodes involving characters who look young
I watched the entire series uncensored (via other means, though I still plan to get the US Blu-ray at some point) and I would argue about 95% of the show would have passed without issue since there's consent to each scene and each character is of age, and there's enough context for each episode so the BBFC would know this is for adults.

The issue I would say is that the halfling characters would probably be the reason if any cuts would occur due to their stance on child-like appearances in these activities.

I watched the entire series uncensored (via other means, though I still plan to get the US Blu-ray at some point) and I would argue about 95% of the show would have passed without issue since there's consent to each scene and each character is of age, and there's enough context for each episode so the BBFC would know this is for adults.

The issue I would say is that the halfling characters would probably be the reason if any cuts would occur due to their stance on child-like appearances in these activities.
Yes, I agree it is the halfling characters that would cause problems. I believe they are supposed to be either 200 years old or without an actual age, but this is probably a way of getting around the issue for the creators. One scene in particular in the bath I really doubt would remain intact. It seems the Australian Film Classification board rejected it for that reason.
They seem to be very quick to refuse classification to titles whereas the last newly released media the BBFC rejected was 'Hate Crime' in 2015 (The Gestapo's Last Orgy was rejected recently too but is a work from 1977)

Last edited:
BBFC has recently included rating summaries for "Attack on Titan - The Final Season - Part 1": Attack On Titan - Tv Series

Sadly no surprises here, episode 65 gets a 15 just for a glimpse of a bloody image and episodes 67 and 73 get it too even its sustained gory violence, even the last one doesn't even mention
Levi torturing Zeke
which it's in obvious breach of the guidelines where "Strong sadistic violence is unlikely to be acceptable at 15" but I guess they don't care anymore or they will say its fantastic or over-the-top or whatever. Meanwhile, we'll still get 18s for brief nudity or very strong language.

Also, episode 63 is rated U, guess they missed the violent wording and
Dr. Jaeger's breakdown
, still not surprising.

Back